Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Haha it's unavoidable

I have used FSX since it's release, and am still on it's original installation on this computer, and never have issues with CTD's I did have some OOM crashes, and then only with the PMDG 744 prior to using the /3GB boot param, Since then now I can fly FSX for hours, and never crash. My longest flight was 16 hours with the PMDG 744. I attribute this to The O/S. I still use Windows XP Home edition, which FSX was originally designed for. If you look at the history, you would see most people with CTD problems today are the ones that have changed to Windows 7 and before that Vista. (Which was a disaster in itself) Can you really fault a 5 year old program for not working on an O/S developed far in the future, which the developers had absolutely no knowledge of at the time? Or is it more the New O/S's claim of backward compatibility, does not necessarily mean 100% compatible? Give it some thought!
My 1st FSX install was on XP. So was my FS9 install. Both CTD'd often.....

HelloIn all the years I have been using both Sims I have never had a crash to desktop that was attributable to the Sim alone.Corrupt textures especially on ai planes or faulty bgl's from addon sceneries are usually to blame

My 1st FSX install was on XP. So was my FS9 install. Both CTD'd often.....
Then I would really look at my own setup... FS9 and FSX on the same HW, both crashing frequently probably equals something on your side...As for the FS9 crash question, NO, the major issue with FS9 was OOM or Out of Memory errors, once those were resolved by making FS9 largeaddressaware FS9 has been rock stable for those of us still taking advantage of it for flying the intense add-on AC into intense add-on airports with 100% traffic and all settings maxxed... You will not find these CTD threads nearly as prominent on the FS9 side but then again the number of users on FSX is much greater so the issues are much more prevalent...-P

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest PFL

FSX is unfinished, they - the suits at MS HQ - pushed it thru production, and here we have it!Example:A developer about Simconnect..."I want state this one more time. We are not going to make anymore changes to issues pertaining to fog or haze. It is all over the Internet that this issue or bug is a problem with FSX. Remember that Simconnect is a somewhat unfinished product. In that it was only introduced in FSX. That is all we have had to work with since.Do I wish it could be better? Yes, but believe me we have done and I know the competiors have tried everything to try to make it different." http://realenvironme...hp?topic=5259.0You want more? Use Google...

Bladiebla, FSX errors are rarely hardware related. You might be lucky and have no CTDs, but that doesn't mean FSX is stable/bugfree. Neither was FS9
Sorry... but that's not true at all. I'm honestly stunned that you believe that hardware is rarely an issue with regards to CTDs.I know that overclocking (hardware issue) has been shown to cause an unstable FSX for some. For others they never have any problems with their overclocking.I've seen discussion after discussion after discussion... and at no point have I been able to conclude it's all FSX's fault.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Then today, after a complete format of my PC and reinstall of FSX only 2 weeks ago:nooxe.th.jpgBAM!!!! On final after 2 hour flight. New error for me. Can't believe this piece of **** crap coding game.
Do you have this line in your FSUIPC4.ini?AxisIntercepts=Yes

Sorry... but that's not true at all. I'm honestly stunned that you believe that hardware is rarely an issue with regards to CTDs.I know that overclocking (hardware issue) has been shown to cause an unstable FSX for some. For others they never have any problems with their overclocking.I've seen discussion after discussion after discussion... and at no point have I been able to conclude it's all FSX's fault.
Of course hardware will become an issue if you have hardware problems..duh. If you OC your PC too far, of course FSX will be stable.But my system is NOT unstable, I don't OC, and ALL my games have run fine for the last 2 years. FSX however, CTDs randomly.It's been like this since I use FS9/X.
Do you have this line in your FSUIPC4.ini?AxisIntercepts=Yes
No, I have AxisIntercepts=No

Of course hardware will become an issue if you have hardware problems..duh. If you OC your PC too far, of course FSX will be stable.But my system is NOT unstable, I don't OC, and ALL my games have run fine for the last 2 years. FSX however, CTDs randomly.It's been like this since I use FS9/X.No, I have AxisIntercepts=No
Same here. All my games work fine, FSX, and sometimes FS9, do not. However, FSX/FS9 cannot be compared to other games, really, because other games do not have to run a multitude of addons. I'm keeping with the notion that addons make FSX unstable and CTD. Problem is, it's these addons that ultimately make FSX extremely fun and challening. Without these addons, FSX can still be great fun, but you're not unlocking FSX's true potential. You're not getting the simulation which you could be getting.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

I used to get CTD's all the timeI fixed them by rebuilding my fsx.cfg file, not using bufferpools, not locking my framerates, and not using multisampling in the Nvidia settings.I also got rid of the texturemaxload line, the more stock the fsx cfg file the better

I have used FSX since it's release, and am still on it's original installation on this computer, and never have issues with CTD's I did have some OOM crashes, and then only with the PMDG 744 prior to using the /3GB boot param, Since then now I can fly FSX for hours, and never crash. My longest flight was 16 hours with the PMDG 744. I attribute this to The O/S. I still use Windows XP Home edition, which FSX was originally designed for. If you look at the history, you would see most people with CTD problems today are the ones that have changed to Windows 7 and before that Vista. (Which was a disaster in itself) Can you really fault a 5 year old program for not working on an O/S developed far in the future, which the developers had absolutely no knowledge of at the time? Or is it more the New O/S's claim of backward compatibility, does not necessarily mean 100% compatible? Give it some thought!
Same here, except that I have been using FSX on the same install since April '08 and only had one OOM due to not using the 3GB boot mod and one crash due to accidentally running multiple ADE and .cvx files at the same airport. Other than that, my FSX install has been stable and worked well from day one. Frankly, I can't understand how a handful of folks seems to be having so many CTD or gsd.dll crashes and when I say handful of users, it seems to always be the same folks that post in threads having to due with CTD's or errors. If it were a more widespread problem of FSX itself, I would think that 99% of the posts in Avsim and other FS forums would be dedicated to the issue.Maybe it has something to do with Win7, drivers, driver settings, or any combination of those things. Although I know a few folks that rarely post here that are running FSX on Win7 with everythig setup properly who never have any issues at all, so I would assume that Win7 is a reliable OS to use FSX on. I would be interested to sit down at the computers of the people who have crash issues and have a look at their setups to see what's really going on.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator