Sign in to follow this  
ccarter06

Join the LOC

On vectors to final, if given a clearance to "join the localizer" is it possible to arm just the LOC without arming the GS, or is flying the FMS overlay (DIR next fix on final, set the intercept course to the final appr course, and arm NAV) the only way to do it?

Charles, the answer to your question and any others you may need is available http://www.flyaoamedia.com/blog/md11-training-dashboard/ Here. I can thoroughly reccomend this as reading the manual will only give you a basic knowledge. Chris Palmer and Nick Collet did a splendid job on their tutorial and the HD video's enable you to easily understand the finer points of flying the MD-11.I'm 69 years old and if I can manage it, I feel sure that you will too. :(

Dave Taylor gb.png

On vectors to final, if given a clearance to "join the localizer" is it possible to arm just the LOC without arming the GS, or is flying the FMS overlay (DIR next fix on final, set the intercept course to the final appr course, and arm NAV) the only way to do it?
Charles,On the NAVRAD page, select *LOC ONLY ?, untill cleared for approach?Regards,Harry

Most of the time, if given "join the LOC*," the following command is that of a visual approach clearance. NAV will follow the FMC path, but if the programmed track (magenta line) shows a line through the ILS fixes, NAV is essentially LOC, as without APP mode, and won't follow the G/S. If you want to do it another way, NAVRAD LOC ONLY could also work.The command isn't to say "follow it perfectly." Rather, the command is to say, follow the direction of the LOC until you get closer to the airport so I can have you call the airport in sight (there are other reasons, but most often, it's a precursor to a visual - at least in my neck of the woods). So, it would be perfectly acceptable to fly it by hand and not do it perfectly. Essentially, the ATCer is just reassigning the navigational responsibility to you (vectoring means the controller is responsible for the navigation of the aircraft, for the most part).*I know controllers say it all the time, but it is supposed to be "Intercept the Runway 00 Localizer."

Kyle Rodgers

Mostly, the whole reason for the question is because of my CRJ training. That aircraft requires the pilots to manually switch to the ILS freq, and manually change the nav source from FMS to VOR(ILS). The FCP is also much different. Once in that VOR(ILS) source, hitting NAV on the FMS arms the lateral tracking only, while a seperate APPR button arms the lateral and vertical tracking modes. The only real time I could any of this possibly mattering is if attempting an approach that isn't in the FMS. RW this happens sometimes simply due to issues with the FMS database updates (my company is currently having that issue with some approaches we use often such as the KATL ILS rwy 28). I just want to get a deeper understanding of how to handle "abnormal" procedures.As for the "join the LOC" becoming a visual approach... I see that being the case about half the time. However, whether it's a visual or an ILS, it's still good procedure to stay on the glidepath. It makes wake turbulence prediction a little easier for the following aircraft. That's not really an issue in FS, but "as real as it gets," right? :-)