Sign in to follow this  
Chalkman

New FSX backup program

I'd also be fascinated to know if this works as advertised. I have an ongoing dread of having to reinstall FSX - my setup is so highly customized that it'd probably take me a month or more to get it back up and running if I rebuilt it by hand. So at the moment I'm avoiding any changes to my system - like a shift to Sandy Bridge - that would demand a reinstallation. If it was possible to do a straight, one-click backup of the current install and come out with a fully-registered new installation, it'd change my whole approach to managing the system.So here's one more user asking... anyone have any experience with this? Or any connection to it. Does it do what we think it does, or are we dreaming?Please advise.

I'd also be fascinated to know if this works as advertised. I have an ongoing dread of having to reinstall FSX - my setup is so highly customized that it'd probably take me a month or more to get it back up and running if I rebuilt it by hand. So at the moment I'm avoiding any changes to my system - like a shift to Sandy Bridge - that would demand a reinstallation. If it was possible to do a straight, one-click backup of the current install and come out with a fully-registered new installation, it'd change my whole approach to managing the system.So here's one more user asking... anyone have any experience with this? Or any connection to it. Does it do what we think it does, or are we dreaming?Please advise.
Would not bother with it myself. I use a program called Macrium Reflect, backs up partitions, drives anything you want basically.I use it to back up my system drive and FSX drive and keep the two in synch so if anything in FSX goes south I just reinstall both partitions and all is good.It's never let me down yet.Bryan.

I once tried backing up my FSX folder together with %appdata%\microsoft\fsx and C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX.I applied registry fix after format and even though FSX worked, half of my addons did not (e.g. Level-D 767, even after re-installing).Was forced to do a re-install of FSX (which took a day).If only you could tell FSX/addons to install ALL files on another partition rather than your windows partition....Maybe some windows tweak where you mislead all installers to think windows is on another partition?

I once tried backing up my FSX folder together with %appdata%\microsoft\fsx and C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX.I applied registry fix after format and even though FSX worked, half of my addons did not (e.g. Level-D 767, even after re-installing).Was forced to do a re-install of FSX (which took a day).If only you could tell FSX/addons to install ALL files on another partition rather than your windows partition....Maybe some windows tweak where you mislead all installers to think windows is on another partition?
As you have discovered, backing up the FSX partition alone does not work, well not if you have add-ons installed.Bryan.

Hmm, starting to wonder. With all the copy protections etc, and needed files for addons scattered about i'd tend to think some addons wouldn't work quite right after a reinstall. However if 75% or more did work correctly with a restore it still might be worth considering IMO. Just installing FSX and Accel takes a bit of time.

As you have discovered, backing up the FSX partition alone does not work, well not if you have add-ons installed.Bryan.
Ye probably registry......

Hmm, starting to wonder. With all the copy protections etc, and needed files for addons scattered about i'd tend to think some addons wouldn't work quite right after a reinstall. However if 75% or more did work correctly with a restore it still might be worth considering IMO. Just installing FSX and Accel takes a bit of time.
With Macrium I get 100%, it's like nothing ever went wrong.And no, I am not connected with the program in any way...I believe they do a free version of the program as well, give it a try.Bryan.
Ye probably registry......
You got it.Bryan.

With Macrium I get 100%, it's like nothing ever went wrong.
How does Macrium compare to other imaging programs like Acronis True Image (which I use for basic, safety-related backups). Does it do a better job of addressing the registry or is it comparable? I've been able to restore my FSX installation using Acronis (after migrating to a larger hard drive) but unless I'm mistaken, it wouldn't be able to do a full restore to a new Windows installation, which I'd have to deal with if I was doing a major system overhaul.Or am I getting something wrong here?

How does Macrium compare to other imaging programs like Acronis True Image (which I use for basic, safety-related backups). Does it do a better job of addressing the registry or is it comparable? I've been able to restore my FSX installation using Acronis (after migrating to a larger hard drive) but unless I'm mistaken, it wouldn't be able to do a full restore to a new Windows installation, which I'd have to deal with if I was doing a major system overhaul.Or am I getting something wrong here?
Best thing is Google it and have a look at the feature set.Bryan.
So this macrym backups registry too/
It does.Bryan.

So it seems that Macrium is just like any other partition type program, it works but doesn't actually restore a single program to an existing OS and registries right? Otherwise you'd have to just restore your entire OS to where it was before to get all the addons working as before. As for the Backup Program, looking at it closer, it doesn't even look like it backs up the registry-just the FSX directory which if true, is more or less deceiving unless your addons are freeware.

Best thing is Google it and have a look at the feature set.
Why, thank you. That would never have occurred to me.Or perhaps it did, but I was unable to find an answer to my question, so I thought I'd ask an actual user.The Macrium features page makes no reference to the registry. As far as I can tell, it does exactly what Acronis does, nothing more.So I think I'll pass.

Boy, this looks good to me. I'm saying this because of the horrible memories I have of trying to put FSX back after a few "re-installs". I think about this daily, and my FSX is working so very well now, that I feel the $29.95 just might a great investment.....if it works.Stan