Sign in to follow this  
martyneale

Cirrus clouds popping in and out at edge of visibility with 4870x2

Hi,I have noticed a problem with FSX using ATI 4870x2 - at the edge of the screen cirrus clouds pop in and out of view - see the following to understand the issue

The much hyped swarmcloud fix has no effect on this issue and I do not see the issue in X plane 9 - what is going on?

If I remember well, in some place in FSX options panel, you should find the "Thermal streams" visualization option (sorry, I'm italian and don't know the exact name in english), this option is related the gliding flight.Maybe you have it enabled now.Mauro

If I remember well, in some place in FSX options panel, you should find the "Thermal streams" visualization option (sorry, I'm italian and don't know the exact name in english), this option is related the gliding flight.Maybe you have it enabled now.Mauro
I am asking about the cloud pop up at the edge of the screen, not the thermal visualisation.

Ok, sorry, it took a little to me to see what you where intending.Maybe you have a cloud overlay due to some add-on like REX or similar. Try to change cloud setup parameter to see if something happens.

Hi,Try increasing your cloud draw distance in FS and see what happens.

Ok, sorry, it took a little to me to see what you where intending.Maybe you have a cloud overlay due to some add-on like REX or similar. Try to change cloud setup parameter to see if something happens.
I am using flight environment x now - before I was using Real Environment x and had exactly the same issue. Is this a problem you have had?

Hi,Try increasing your cloud draw distance in FS and see what happens.
This has no effect on the issue and neither does reinstalling the software - I am guessing the FSX software is faulty as there was a similar problem in previous versions - see here - http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?54909-Flickering-clouds-at-visibility-edge. The fix can't be used in FSX as there is no sight distance slider.

Is this a problem you have had?
No, sorry, I'm using REX (without overdrive pack) on my system with an XFX ATI 5770, but I haven't any issues.

No, sorry, I'm using REX (without overdrive pack) on my system with an XFX ATI 5770, but I haven't any issues.
Can you post a video of panning with cirrus please?

Happens to me all the time (using Nvidia) - it's an FSX thing, possibly to increase performance?? Have to live with it, I guess.

Regards, Kendall

You could try this,How to fix cloud popping// March 6th, 2009 // Tips & TweaksXHello there! If you are new here, you might want to subscribe to the RSS feed for updates on this topic.Powered by WP Greet BoxHave you ever noticed clouds popping instantly popping in to and out of view now and then, especially after upgrading to Acceleration? This is called “cloud popping” and minor, but annoying aspect of FSX. Changing your settings within FSX won’t solve it, fancy 3rd party cloud textures won’t solve it and tinkering with your FSX.CFG won’t solve it. Many people just learn to live with it, but you don’t have to as it can be fixed forever rather easily, though in a rather obscure manner.The problem isn’t with any internal settings, but with the cloud shader and how it caches materials. To fix it once and for all go to:<your root FSX install directory>\ShadersHLSL\miscOnce there look for SwarmCloud.fx and make a backup of it. Simply copying it into the same folder and renaming the copy SwarmCloud.ORIGINAL will do the job. Next, open the original SwarmCloud.fx file in Notepad (or another text editor of your choice) and find the following entry several lines down from the top:bool NewMaterialUsage = true;Change this value from true to false being sure to keep the semi-colon at the end, then save and close the file.Next go to the following directory:Windows XP:C:\documents & settings\<your username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\Windows Vista:C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX(If you can’t find this folder, you might need to ensure “Show hidden & system files/folders” is enabled first, which you can do through the Control Panel>Folder Options>View tab).Once there find the folder called “Shaders” (which houses a cache of all complied shaders) and delete all of it’s contents (not the folder itself, just the contents). You can also move the contents of the shader folder elsewhere for a backup if you prefer although deleting will be fine since FSX will rebuild it all the next time it runs.That’s it, start up FSX enjoy the fact that you’ll never see clouds popping in and out again. If for some reason you need to undo this change, simply edit SwarmCloud.fx changing “false” back to “true”, delete the contents of your shaders directory again and you’ll be back to default with it’s come-and-go clouds.If you liked this post, please share it...

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

You could try this,How to fix cloud popping...
On a fresh FSX install that "fix" makes the cumulus clouds appear as black squares and rectangles so it is useless. I mentioned in my first post that it doesn't work.Update with acceleration installed it has no effect on the cumulus clouds but leaves the cirrus popping in and out of view! So it is a waste of time.