Sign in to follow this  
Brett Nicholls

Graphics card difference

Hi guys. When the 737 NGX comes out, recommended requirements are, among other things a 1 Gig Graphics card. It was mentioned that the NGX and MD11 had similar needs. Now I have upgraded to an Asus P8P67 Pro, 2500K with 4 gig of memory but I still have an ATI 4850 with 512 meg. What is the difference you would see between a 512 and 1Gig card. I do intend later on to upgrade to a 460GTX or better but I would say that the NGX should be out before I get my new card. Cheers

Guest Tamadeez

Difference is can handle games better at higher resolutions in general

You have pritty the same system then I have. I use a GTX 260 with only 896 MB GDDR3 and it mostly uses only arround 440-460 MB when I´m flying FSX. So 512 MB can be a bit too less, esspecially with high AA modes. I would get the GTX 560 or 570. They seem to be the best bang for the buck right now.

First off there are no official system requirements for the plane yet because it's not done.Second, when I mentioned 1GB video cards I was referring to running the sim with a ton of scenery/texture addons *in addition to* the NGX. The NGX on its own (ie in a plain FSX install) does not "require" a 1GB video card.You'll see a pretty massive difference though going from a 4850 to something like a 560 Ti...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I more than doubled my FPS going from a 4850 to the 460SE with the system in my sig. I'm also running much higher AA/AF now, and the image quality is much better with the new card. All in all it was a pretty big upgrade in my opinion. I would suggest going with the 560 TI or something similar if you can afford it, I'm only running this card because a friend gave it to me.

First off there are no official system requirements for the plane yet because it's not done.Second, when I mentioned 1GB video cards I was referring to running the sim with a ton of scenery/texture addons *in addition to* the NGX. The NGX on its own (ie in a plain FSX install) does not "require" a 1GB video card.You'll see a pretty massive difference though going from a 4850 to something like a 560 Ti...
Hi Ryan,I remember you mentioned months ago that you would list a recommended system spec prior to release to allow people to prepare for the plane. Is this still the case? If so do you know how far away any recommendation would be? I think my new rig being built as we speak should be close to the best but I wonder if something new and better will come out prior to the release. Ivy bridge CPU I think that's what it's called is due out next year or late this year. Will that change anything I wonder?Mike Kendall

Even the best graphics card on the market today will bottleneck on the FSX if your processor is not up to date.Putting that aside yesterday I played with the nVidia inspector settings. For my greatest surprise I managed to squeeze additional 5-10FPS out of my average 20 (on ground @heavy scenery+REX+AES+ASE+J41+90-95% on the sliders)... Happy times...Looks like it's worth having a look there for the people with FPS problems...

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931

Even the best graphics card on the market today will bottleneck on the FSX if your processor is not up to date.Putting that aside yesterday I played with the nVidia inspector settings. For my greatest surprise I managed to squeeze additional 5-10FPS out of my average 20 (on ground @heavy scenery+REX+AES+ASE+J41+90-95% on the sliders)... Happy times...Looks like it's worth having a look there for the people with FPS problems...
What settings did you have before and now please Martin?

if you can afford it buy a gtx 580,not just for fsx but a very good card in many games.