Sign in to follow this  
leppakot

NGX bird strike question

The ultimate option would be to grab that crash axe from the FD and rush out for a Mexican standoff with a "disruptive" pax armed with knife and fork from YC service...Black%20Eye.gif

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931

I never use failures. Just want to complete my flight.

Kimo

Our favorite is of course the I-have-a-worthless-FO failure.
This sounds like a fun feature. Maybe we can ask Bryan York to include it in his version of FS2Crew Voice Command for this aircraft. As far as a bird-strike animation, just throw a bottle of katchup on you monitor and yell "DUCK!!"

That would be cool! I'm awaiting to fly KATL-Glacier Park Intl. as it is the only 737NG route I'm interested in for Delta ops. The 777 will be a largely used product of mine, lets hope its quicker out than this...
Ah yes....KGPI.. With temperatures in the S.E. as they have been for the last month, I'm looking forward to my annual to GPI..Beautiful temp's right now but way too much snow for the month of June on the GTTS road..:( jen noulet

If the SDK allows triggering failures I guess it would be pretty simple for a 3rd party addon to add the birds graphically in the vecinity of airports, and then if the plane flies close enough, play some proper sounds and have an engine (or more) flame out

Why is everyone getting so worked up? He asked a simple question, regarding one of the most common failures, if it's possible to replicate or not. I didn't see him "insisting on" anything.Sometimes I feel sorry for people who ask simple questions here. If it's not an easy thing to answer, suddenly everyone's if not ridiculing, at least criticizing the OP a lot.Kristoff, did it occur to you that a bird strike is something that usually causes a particular failure scenario / particular technical consequences. You don't need birds to simulate that kind of scenario.if PMDG is offering failures and a failure mode in the NGX, then it's completely OK to ask questions on failures here.Tero
Yes it has absolutely occurred to me, the reason for my response. Are they just going to crack random areas of the windshield? That part is a little ridiculous. Sounds like whoever wants a bird strike, for whatever reason, would be better off programming the failures associated with such an event manually. Whether it may be damage to the engines, or flight control surfaces, what you are suggesting can be done without any particular special 'bird strike' feature. Either way you'd need to either select random failures, or timed failures simply because the birds animated don't have an effect on aircraft. Nothing that can't be done through the failures module. If it's such a 'simple question' why is it not an easy thing to answer? It is an easy thing to answer. If PMDG does offer some kind of bird strike simulation, all the better. But it's not something that can't be simulated without one. (Minus the visual damage of course...)

actualy smashing your monitor screen up to simulate a bird hitting it is going to work out cheaper than having a window smashed on a real aircraft =). As for engine bird strikes I recommend a cheap desk fan and a frozen chicken. I did not try this its just an idea. Heck put some fish out in the sunshine for a few hours and make a sandwich out of it, then you can simulate food poisoning on the flight deck :(

FSX doesn't even know where it's raining. And now you want it to know where birds are?
LOL! I'll give the OP the benefit of the doubt, when I was new to FSX I wasn't aware of it's limitations and just assumed things were possible because it's a computer program, how hard could it be to program? As talented as PMDG is, and even though they are capable of finding workarounds to some limitations in FSX, some things just aren't in the FSX code. I think the "other" flight simulator does allow bird strikes, but like turbulence in FSX, its completely random and unrealistic, and is better left out.

Yes, I think that the flying bird into the engine wil a add to FSX passengers.Actually I think it's pathetic for the bird :(

If you really want to simulate bird strikes taking an engine out, just put natural thermal depiction on in the FSX options so you get birds flying around, and if you see one fly nearby, cut an engine. If you want to simulate a cracked window, lower the cabin pressure and drop to 25,000 feet or lower.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I just don't understand why nobody has asked about the coffee-spilled-in-lap failure, or the I-dropped-my-pen-between-the-seat-and-aft-electronics-panel failure. Our favorite is of course the I-have-a-worthless-FO failure. State of the art stuff. We'll just rip out all the stuff we've been working on for a couple of years and build a new plane full of bug splats and cracked glass, flushing lavs and never-ending cabin chimes.(yes, I got out of the wrong side of bed this morning Rolling%20Eyes.gif)
He Vin go get some sleep, you looking tired.Working 18 hours per day is not a good idea for your health, that will be - 1000 pilot penalty point for ya Shame%20On%20You.gif

As talented as PMDG is, and even though they are capable of finding workarounds to some limitations in FSX, some things just aren't in the FSX code. I think the "other" flight simulator does allow bird strikes, but like turbulence in FSX, its completely random and unrealistic, and is better left out.
Oh we can certainly do bird strikes, the question is whether our time is better spent doing something that's actually useful to pilots instead of something that usually never happens - the whole US Airways/Sully thing was exceedingly rare.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Oh we can certainly do bird strikes, the question is whether our time is better spent doing something that's actually useful to pilots instead of something that usually never happens - the whole US Airways/Sully thing was exceedingly rare.
FYI- I just attended a Faa Seminar on animal strikes with airplanes-something like 900,000 in the last 10 years and that is only those that are reported and only in the US-and they figure only about 30% are reported.The stats were quite sobering. ?The cost to commercial carriers in damage is quite huge, and there is a whole branch of the FAA that spends time on figuring how to minimize.