Sign in to follow this  
fbass

I Give Up

Frank, don't give up. You have been at this too long (if this is the FBass I remember from PAI back a few years ago). My guess is it is something really stupid or a driver issue.What do you get when you get in to the sim? Do the aircraft display then?When you reinstalled, did you use a fresh FSX.cfg?Did you move any aircraft to a new simobjects folder? Regardless of your answer, is that folder recognized in the FSX.cfg?From time to time (FSX, FS9), I have gotten black windows in the rotating view. I think it has to do with video drivers and it is something I just put up with. I have not had a situation where I couldn't see any aircraft in the selection screen.In the selection screen, what do you see? Are aircraft listed with no thumbnails? Are default aircraft listed? Do you have "display all variations" checked.
Regarding FBass - samo, samo. Member of the pilot's association of old f a r t s.Normally, when I execute FSX, the starting page is the rotating aircraft page - "Free Flight." The only thing in the display window is the background scenery - no aircraft. If I choose another aircraft, it's the same thing - no display. This is not the "black box" display. NOTE: All the thumbnails for aircraft are displayed when you select a new aircraft. You can go through and select two or three different types of aircraft and the result is the same. Also, if I select an aircraft and click now, what I get is a huge closeup of, for example, the braces of the trike. I can see the cockpit but everything is so close that the pieces you can see block out everything. If I use the keyboard to change the zoom or move up, down, and sideways you can't see anything but the sky. If I use the "S" to change views - no aircraft even the chase plane view.Regarding the fresh fsx.cfg - Before I initially installed FSX, there were no files where the fsx.cfg file normally resides. The system built a new fsx.cfg file - a clean default.Regarding movement of aircraft files - no change in the SimObjects folder. I did not move any files. Since the thumbnails display properly, I'm assuming FSX is recognizing the models and textures.Regarding aircraft display - yes, all aircraft thumbnails are displayed - there is no problem there.Regarding "Display All" - I'm working with the basic default set here - I don't have that box checked. However, I can see all the thumbnails.Thanks again,Frank
Get rid of those tweaks. The only tweak you want initially is highmemfix=1 under GRAPHICS section.You may want the wide screen fix as well.
Right now I'm working with a default fsx.cfg file - no tweaks except wide-screen.fb

Frank:Thanks for the detailed run down on your system and set up. Right off the bat, I noticed you have Matrox Triplehead2Go - I do not, and I will defer to others who are familiar with it who might know if this is a possible source of the problem. You say you are running Bojote's Shader mod but you "can't remember what the suggested cfg setting is." Please check your fsx.cfg file and make sure you have the following entry under the [GRAPHICS] section:[GRAPHICS]ALLOW_SHADER_30=1If you try to use Bojote's shader mod without this entry, this can interfere with your preview display. This entry is added automatically by Bojote's installer, but it is unclear to me whether you may have tried to re-build the fsx.cfg file after installing the mod, which could have deleted the entry. Also, you should change the number that appears in the following entry by 1:[GRAPHICS]SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=[some number]In other words, if the [some number] is 13728, then you should change it to 13729. If it is 3, then you should change it to 4, etc. This will rebuild your shader cache the next time you start FSX.Of course, it might be something else entirely, but this is worth a check. Good luck.

FrankI see that you reinstalled FSX, but if you didn't reinstall windows then the liklihood of that original problem persisting between FSX reinstalls is very very high. If the "error" "glitch" is in the Windows Folders eg WinSxS, or the registry then just a reinstall of FSX won't do anything. FSX does not uninstall "cleanly" and the only uninstaller that I know that might uninstall FSX completely is REVO uninstaller (there is a free version).Sorry, I thought from your other post that you had reinstalled the OS??One thought is Bloom on or off?RegardsPeterH

Frank:Thanks for the detailed run down on your system and set up. Right off the bat, I noticed you have Matrox Triplehead2Go - I do not, and I will defer to others who are familiar with it who might know if this is a possible source of the problem. You say you are running Bojote's Shader mod but you "can't remember what the suggested cfg setting is." Please check your fsx.cfg file and make sure you have the following entry under the [GRAPHICS] section:[GRAPHICS]ALLOW_SHADER_30=1If you try to use Bojote's shader mod without this entry, this can interfere with your preview display. This entry is added automatically by Bojote's installer, but it is unclear to me whether you may have tried to re-build the fsx.cfg file after installing the mod, which could have deleted the entry. Also, you should change the number that appears in the following entry by 1:[GRAPHICS]SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=[some number]In other words, if the [some number] is 13728, then you should change it to 13729. If it is 3, then you should change it to 4, etc. This will rebuild your shader cache the next time you start FSX.Of course, it might be something else entirely, but this is worth a check. Good luck.
Regarding the Matrox unit - I'm pretty sure this screen extender is not the problem here. Of course anything could be impacting FSX at this point.I checked the Shader mod settings and they were missing. I went back and re-installed the mod settings but this did not resolve the issue. Still no aircraft display.Thanks for help.fb
FrankI see that you reinstalled FSX, but if you didn't reinstall windows then the liklihood of that original problem persisting between FSX reinstalls is very very high. If the "error" "glitch" is in the Windows Folders eg WinSxS, or the registry then just a reinstall of FSX won't do anything. FSX does not uninstall "cleanly" and the only uninstaller that I know that might uninstall FSX completely is REVO uninstaller (there is a free version).Sorry, I thought from your other post that you had reinstalled the OS??One thought is Bloom on or off?RegardsPeterH
Peter,Re-installing Windows7 was the first thing I did. Regarding Bloom - it is not on.Thanks again for your help.fb

Regarding the Matrox unit - I'm pretty sure this screen extender is not the problem here. Of course anything could be impacting FSX at this point.I checked the Shader mod settings and they were missing. I went back and re-installed the mod settings but this did not resolve the issue. Still no aircraft display.Thanks for help.fbPeter,Re-installing Windows7 was the first thing I did. Regarding Bloom - it is not on.Thanks again for your help.fb
I just thought of something. If I re-install Windows7 and then FSX, what's to prevent the very same thing from happening again. Wonderful thought eh!fb

I just thought of something. If I re-install Windows7 and then FSX, what's to prevent the very same thing from happening again. Wonderful thought eh!fb
If you do - remember to install one add on/apply one tweak at time and test FSX after each install/applied tweak to trace down what causes your problem.

If you do - remember to install one add on/apply one tweak at time and test FSX after each install/applied tweak to trace down what causes your problem.
And with test, do not just load-up. Do not just get in your plane for a minute. Do a flight. Preferably one longer than 30 minutes. About an hour should do it. I have been bitten hard by FSX because I didn't do long flights as tests. The result was endless reinstalling before I figured out the correct method of testing.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

And with test, do not just load-up. Do not just get in your plane for a minute. Do a flight. Preferably one longer than 30 minutes. About an hour should do it. I have been bitten hard by FSX because I didn't do long flights as tests. The result was endless reinstalling before I figured out the correct method of testing.
This is a good point. In fact, that is what I was doing before I rudely interrupted by the non-display of aircraft. I re-installed FSX. I checked to see if I had a working install. I added one PMDG aircraft. That worked. I then added more "flying" aircraft. As soon as I added scenery, the aircraft went away - what a bummer. I'm quite sure this is something very simple because the software appears to work except for the display problem.Perhaps I'll go for one more try. I'm retired so what else do I have to do. :-)fb

This is a good point. In fact, that is what I was doing before I rudely interrupted by the non-display of aircraft. I re-installed FSX. I checked to see if I had a working install. I added one PMDG aircraft. That worked. I then added more "flying" aircraft. As soon as I added scenery, the aircraft went away - what a bummer. I'm quite sure this is something very simple because the software appears to work except for the display problem.Perhaps I'll go for one more try. I'm retired so what else do I have to do. :-)fb
Exactly what scenery did you add before "the aircraft went away"? Or did you add a bunch of add-on sceneries at the same time???

Exactly what scenery did you add before "the aircraft went away"? Or did you add a bunch of add-on sceneries at the same time???
As I previously stated, I added one scenery pack - FlyTampa St Maarten.UNBELIEVABLE - A new problem. Some time ago I posted a message concerning my aircraft folders. Executing a Windows copy deleted all my aircraft model, aircraft.cfg files, and my texture.cfg files for my centralized lightmap storage. Well, I forgot about that problem and tried to backup my AI folder (7,000 texture files and 500 aircraft types). This time all my model.cfg files are missing.Now,one of two things are amiss here. Either there is a significant bug in the Windows copy utility that no one has explored or someone has hacked my system placing an unknown virus onto my disk drives. My security software does not report a virus or some malware. Of course it could be new but I doubt it.The aggravation continues.fb

UlfB,"Read posters first post. Might avoid suggestions/questions already asked and answered:"As you told me yesterday ... too funny!  :(

UlfB,"Read posters first post. Might avoid suggestions/questions already asked and answered:"As you told me yesterday ... too funny! :(
:( I should have answered with your answer to my post, but I won't. EDITED: Sorry! :(