Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Railway Simulator 12: more detail because of its limited LOD Radius, or is the engine more efficient?

Quite nice looking screenshots and I'm wondering if it's mostly a case of having a smaller radius to display that affords that level of detail, or the graphics engine is more efficient. Probably both! Intuitively, I think it must be more the latter, since trains can move quite relatively fast on the ground and so to have that level of detail function smoothly must require some better programming. Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Not exactly FSX or flight sim related, there is a Train Simulator sub-forum in the Miscellaneous forum at the bottom of the forum list, where you can ask about rail sims. A better idea, would be to ask your question over at a forum like train-sim.com, as Rail sims are not a primary focus here. Or are you comparing to FSX? If the latter, it's probably because most rail scenery is manually created, so there more artistic characteristics. Where the main GS scenery is developed from a database. of land class, mesh, coastlines autogen and scenery objects. User created scenery such as airports, always look better, and rival many other programs. That's because you now add the developers artistic impressions and talents to it.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Quite nice looking screenshots and I'm wondering if it's mostly a case of having a smaller radius to display that affords that level of detail, or the graphics engine is more efficient. Probably both! Intuitively, I think it must be more the latter, since trains can move quite relatively fast on the ground and so to have that level of detail function smoothly must require some better programming.
Whilst the train's ground speed can be much higher than an aircraft's normal ground speed, they are limited in the path they can take, so the scenery can be tailored to suit. If you could roam freely as you can in FS you'd see that not much detail exists in the world very far from the immediate surrounds of the tracks. And of course, the sim knows exactly where you are going (you don't have many choices) so can pre-fetch exactly what is needed for what you are about to see.RegardsPete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Not exactly FSX or flight sim related, there is a Train Simulator sub-forum in the Miscellaneous forum at the bottom of the forum list, where you can ask about rail sims. A better idea, would be to ask your question over at a forum like train-sim.com, as Rail sims are not a primary focus here. Or are you comparing to FSX? If the latter, it's probably because most rail scenery is manually created, so there more artistic characteristics. Where the main GS scenery is developed from a database. of land class, mesh, coastlines autogen and scenery objects. User created scenery such as airports, always look better, and rival many other programs. That's because you now add the developers artistic impressions and talents to it.
Bonus points for forum policing, except as you realized I was comparing visual detail in the two simulations. Thanks for sharing your insights.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Bonus points for forum policing, except as you realized I was comparing visual detail in the two simulations. Thanks for sharing your insights.
I looked at those screenshots, and quite frankly I don't think they look as good as some user created scenery in FSX. In fact I think scenery in MSTS looks better, in addition to it's rolling stock. I think right now FSX has the capability (Not necessarily used) to produce superior graphics then a lot of programs. It can handle scenery down to 7cm resolution, Mesh to 1M. It's just that those features to date are not fully utilized.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d