Sign in to follow this  
RickSinGA

Spreading Thermal Grease

Anyone had any experience with Antec's Formula 7 Nano Diamond thermal compound. The Microcenter Tech claimed it was the newest and best for heat transfer on the market.The old Sliver stuff would let you spread it out real thin and smooth. This stuff is more like heavy thick glue and just clumps when I try to spread it.Is there a trick to this new stuff or do you just place a glob on the middle of the chip and mount the cooler? Never done it that way before.ThanksRick S.

Hi,I would not use a "glob", but a small amount the size of a piece of white rice in the middle and the pressure of the clamping will do the rest.

Hi,I would not use a "glob", but a small amount the size of a piece of white rice in the middle and the pressure of the clamping will do the rest.
Thanks Jim, I will try that. I had tried spreading some around but it just wouldn't spread and as soon as I started up the temp's rocketed up.Ricks

When I built mine, I used the whole tube, and spread it evenly over the whole chip, I'm sure I did it wrong, but I'm not too worried about it.

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

When I built mine, I used the whole tube, and spread it evenly over the whole chip, I'm sure I did it wrong, but I'm not too worried about it.
Whoa, one chip, whole tube? That sounds quite a lot of mess around the chip!

HelloYes you did it wrong.

HelloYes you did it wrong.
Oh, but my temps are so icy coooooooooooool.

Jeff

:Thinking: Keep an eye on the temps regularly. A too thick layer of thermal grease might not last as long as thin and properly spread layer.

Oh, but my temps are so icy coooooooooooool.
HelloNot as cool as they would have been if you had used the correct amount.And be thankful that you did not use a conductive paste as you could be looking at a new CPU and MB.

HelloNot as cool as they would have been if you had used the correct amount.And be thankful that you did not use a conductive paste as you could be looking at a new CPU and MB.
How cool should my CPU be? Right now, at idle as I write this cores 1-4 are all 28 and below.

Jeff

How cool should my CPU be? Right now, at idle as I write this cores 1-4 are all 28 and below.
HelloTrust me on this, you were lucky this time that the paste was not conductive.If you use your method you will one day manage to get some of the excess paste to run into your CPU socket.Then you really will have a cool PC as it will most likely not post at all.If you understand the principle behind thermal paste I just cannot see why you think that a whole tube is the way to go.But each to their own.

HelloTrust me on this, you were lucky this time that the paste was not conductive.If you use your method you will one day manage to get some of the excess paste to run into your CPU socket.Then you really will have a cool PC as it will most likely not post at all.If you understand the principle behind thermal paste I just cannot see why you think that a whole tube is the way to go.But each to their own.
Umm, I was just asking what my temps should be? Just an honest question, no need to get defensive.

Jeff

Umm, I was just asking what my temps should be? Just an honest question, no need to get defensive.
HelloYour Idle temps are good but that is not really important and is also influenced by the ambient temps in your room.What is more relevant is the temps under load, and here a really thin layer of paste is the better option.That is why all of the paste manufacturers and just about anyone who does this regularly will advise that less is more when it comes to applying TIM.The paste should really only be applied to take up the microscopic surface imperfections in the interface between the CPU heat spreader and the base of the Cooler.A thick layer once it cures is potentially worse in transferring heat from the CPU to cooler.Still it could be that you are right and everyone else has this wrong, the paste manufacturers will be pleased that's for sure.