Sign in to follow this  
duckbilled

"\" or "/" in aircraft.cfg texture= line?

I have not manually updated ai in a long time and I noticed that people like to packages paints with a texture.airlinex folder that contains several paints. A separate flightsim section is used for each paint. I'm not sure why people do this but I am happy to have the paints so I am not complaining. Anyway, what is the correct syntax in the texture= line? I have seen it both ways and the error checkers I use don't recognize either method.1 - texture=airlinex/paint1or2 - texture=airlinex\paint1

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

I have not manually updated ai in a long time and I noticed that people like to packages paints with a texture.airlinex folder that contains several paints. A separate flightsim section is used for each paint. I'm not sure why people do this but I am happy to have the paints so I am not complaining. Anyway, what is the correct syntax in the texture= line? I have seen it both ways and the error checkers I use don't recognize either method.1 - texture=airlinex/paint1or2 - texture=airlinex\paint1
It's the extension of the texture folder, so for example you have a delta livery. with the textures in the folder texture.delta you entry would readtexture=delta

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

It's the extension of the texture folder, so for example you have a delta livery. with the textures in the folder texture.delta you entry would readtexture=delta
I understand that. That is the way I expected to see it listed. The problem is many painters upload files that contain several textures in one texture.airlinex folder. For example:In my TFS A333 folder, I have textures for Aeroflot. There is a folder called texture.aeroflot. Inside that folder, there are five more FOLDERS - VQ-BCQ, VQ-BCU, VQ-BCV, VQ-BEK AND VQ-BEL. I understand what the author is trying to achieve. in the aircraft config, these five textures are registered as:[fltsim.3]texture=aeroflot\VQ-BCQ[fltsim.4]texture=aeroflot\VQ-BCU[fltsim.5]texture=aeroflot\VQ-BCV[fltsim.6]texture=aeroflot\VQ-BEK[fltsim.7]texture=aeroflot\VQ-BELI have omitted irrelevant sections from the aircraft.cfg.The problem is I am finding authors that are using a "/" instead of a "\" an I am not sure which method is correct since all of my error checking utilities do not recognise this method. I am using packages from two well known painters and the both do it differently.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

I understand that. That is the way I expected to see it listed. The problem is many painters upload files that contain several textures in one texture.airlinex folder. For example:In my TFS A333 folder, I have textures for Aeroflot. There is a folder called texture.aeroflot. Inside that folder, there are five more FOLDERS - VQ-BCQ, VQ-BCU, VQ-BCV, VQ-BEK AND VQ-BEL. I understand what the author is trying to achieve. in the aircraft config, these five textures are registered as:[fltsim.3]texture=aeroflot\VQ-BCQ[fltsim.4]texture=aeroflot\VQ-BCU[fltsim.5]texture=aeroflot\VQ-BCV[fltsim.6]texture=aeroflot\VQ-BEK[fltsim.7]texture=aeroflot\VQ-BELI have omitted irrelevant sections from the aircraft.cfg.The problem is I am finding authors that are using a "/" instead of a "\" an I am not sure which method is correct since all of my error checking utilities do not recognise this method. I am using packages from two well known painters and the both do it differently.
I would think the backslash (\) since that is what separates folders. I've haven't run across this yet myself, so I'm not 100% sure on this.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Regardless of how the textures were packaged, I'd tend to follow the long-standing convention that MS has for identifying texture folders:a folder named Texture.(some indentifying name as a "filetype") with the Texture=(the filetype) in the config line.In this case I would have the sim sections looking like[fltsim.3]texture=VQ-BCQ[fltsim.4]texture=VQ-BCU[fltsim.5]texture=VQ-BCV[fltsim.6]texture=VQ-BEK[fltsim.7]texture=VQ-BELand the individual folders taken out of aeroflot folder, placed in the aircraft's folder and properly namedtexture.VQ-BCQtexture.VQ-BCUtexture.VQ-BCVtexture.VQ-BEKtexture.VQ-BELthis is the normal naming convention that has been used for years; it also applies to model, panel and sound folders. A single config of 4 aircraft could each use a different paint, panel, sound set and model just by referencing the desired sub-folder named with the same convention.The fact that the textures are in a texture.aeroflot folder suggests that it should work (with the backslash "\", by the way) or that it works in some international editions of FSX even if it does not work in your edition. If it doesn't for you, then just use the normal convention.FS8 did have a folder of common panels and sounds that could be used as needed and there were no issues accessing those folders.I'm going to have to try it some day...Loyd

I think this is a relatively recent phenomenon of using subfolders for specific registrations of an airline's fleet (and seems like a good idea to me). It's easy enough to experiment. I assume that the backslash \ is preferred as it is the standard folder separator in MS paths (doesn't this go back to the days of CP/M, which for some reason known only to Prof Kindall he did it the opposite way that Unix does it? Or maybe it was a Gates-ism, to show DOS wasn't a ripoff of CP/M -- which it was?)It could well be, though, that the part of FSX that parses aircraft.cfg can handle either slash.scott s..

this is the normal naming convention that has been used for years; it also applies to model, panel and sound folders. A single config of 4 aircraft could each use a different paint, panel, sound set and model just by referencing the desired sub-folder named with the same convention.
I agree - I have not installed AI manually in a while because I use WofAI and UT2 but I am very comfortable doing it. I just avoid it because of the time it takes to do it right. Right now, I am installing repaints for UT2 and smaller airlines that UT2 doesn't cover.As I mentioned, I truly appreciate all of the work that painters put in to their packages. I do, however, wish the would stick to conventional folder structure. When you are installing thousands of repaints at a time, it can really help speed up the process. Renaming all of those folders can be a real pain so I tend to go with their folder structure. In this case, I have no idea what works and what doesn't when people get creative.I have seen a few where painters will put a full set of .bmps under the texture.XXX folder and also put a folder in for a separate paint. In the .cfg, there are registered as texture=airlinex and texture=airlinex\paint1.I just don't see a need for getting creative with the folder structures. Also, its 2011 - I really wish people would just include all of the needed textures in each texture.airlinex folder. It's a pain to hunt for night and prop textures. I have cheap DSL and I manage to download larger files with no issues so there is no reason to limit the file sizes. That being said, some of the packages are a little older so things were different in the past. Anyway, so far, it looks like "\" is reasonable and "/" is not?
I think this is a relatively recent phenomenon of using subfolders for specific registrations of an airline's fleet (and seems like a good idea to me). It's easy enough to experiment. I assume that the backslash \ is preferred as it is the standard folder separator in MS paths (doesn't this go back to the days of CP/M, which for some reason known only to Prof Kindall he did it the opposite way that Unix does it? Or maybe it was a Gates-ism, to show DOS wasn't a ripoff of CP/M -- which it was?)It could well be, though, that the part of FSX that parses aircraft.cfg can handle either slash.scott s..
In the end, I have no problem with it but verifying that everything is displayed is a real pain if you installing in bulk. That's why I use utilities to verify everything is installed but when the utilities don't recognise the folder structure or recognize any folder structure, things get complicated.

Anyway, so far, it looks like "\" is reasonable and "/" is not?
It might be that the utilities that you use doesn't cover the use of subfolders in a repaint folder.What about FSX? Does FSX load the correct texture when you use the slash or the backslash?

It might be that the utilities that you use doesn't cover the use of subfolders in a repaint folder.What about FSX? Does FSX load the correct texture when you use the slash or the backslash?
Right the utilities don't recognize subfolders.I'll have to check in the sim but trying to hunt down a single reg number in UT2 generated schedules is a pain.Maybe I'll ask over at WofAI or AIG.

FYI, the answer is (according to a discussion at AIG) that both will work and neither should be used. Every texture needs a seperate texture.aircraftx folder. Using subfolders my look nice but it can slow down FS by increasing search times for textures.