Sign in to follow this  
mf_blues

Landing Lights not lined up correctly

I've recently noticed that my lights on planes are not lined up correctly with the plane, they are floating in mid air above the wing slightly off to one side, this seems to be happening with all planes including add on payware stuff. I'm talking about the actual light it self here not the light bulbs by the way.As anyone else had this problem and if so did you cure it.I'm just wondering if this could somehow be linked with the invisible building crashes I get at some airports as that too seems to be an alignment problem. I did check my airport layout as suggested by Daveo but couldn't find any problems with the airports.Is there any tool out there I can use to check the actual planes config, assuming the problems with the plane and not the main fsx config.Any help appreciated.CheersMartin.

Martin,Check your keyboard assignments. MS provided "steering" to landing lights so you could emulate spot lights on helos.CTRL+SHIFT+Num_5 should take care of it unless you changed your keyboard assignments from default.Below is taken from "Standard.xml" - the default fallback for keyboard entries.Hope this helps,Roman

<Entry>            <Key>CTRL+SHIFT+Num_6</Key>            <Down>LANDING_LIGHT_RIGHT</Down></Entry> <Entry>            <Key>CTRL+SHIFT+Num_2</Key>            <Down>LANDING_LIGHT_DOWN</Down></Entry><Entry>            <Key>CTRL+SHIFT+Num_8</Key>            <Down>LANDING_LIGHT_UP</Down></Entry><Entry>            <Key>CTRL+SHIFT+Num_5</Key>            <Down>LANDING_LIGHT_HOME</Down></Entry><Entry>            <Key>CTRL+SHIFT+Num_4</Key>            <Down>LANDING_LIGHT_LEFT</Down></Entry>

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

I've recently noticed that my lights on planes are not lined up correctly with the plane, they are floating in mid air above the wing slightly off to one side, this seems to be happening with all planes including add on payware stuff. I'm talking about the actual light it self here not the light bulbs by the way.As anyone else had this problem and if so did you cure it.I'm just wondering if this could somehow be linked with the invisible building crashes I get at some airports as that too seems to be an alignment problem. I did check my airport layout as suggested by Daveo but couldn't find any problems with the airports.Is there any tool out there I can use to check the actual planes config, assuming the problems with the plane and not the main fsx config.Any help appreciated.CheersMartin.
Hi Martin,You refer to: "I'm talking about the actual light it self here not the light bulbs by the way". I assume you are not referring to the light beam onto the ground, but the location of the light on the wing. BTW, which lights are affected? Landing lights, Nav lights at wing tips, Strobes, etc? Which aircraft?When I needed to adjust the positioning of my strobe light (at the rear of the fuselage on the B744), that adjustment was made at the Lights section of the specific aircraft Cfg file. It was a matter of trying out a few positions to get the light positioning at the correct spot. BTW, I moved it from the top of the tail fin to the bottom, as is on the actual aircraft.Not sure if this is what you were referring to, but hope it helps.Chris David

Hi Martin,You refer to: "I'm talking about the actual light it self here not the light bulbs by the way". I assume you are not referring to the light beam onto the ground, but the location of the light on the wing. BTW, which lights are affected? Landing lights, Nav lights at wing tips, Strobes, etc? Which aircraft?When I needed to adjust the positioning of my strobe light (at the rear of the fuselage on the B744), that adjustment was made at the Lights section of the specific aircraft Cfg file. It was a matter of trying out a few positions to get the light positioning at the correct spot. BTW, I moved it from the top of the tail fin to the bottom, as is on the actual aircraft.Not sure if this is what you were referring to, but hope it helps.Chris David
Actually I think he was saying the opposite, it's the beam onto the ground giving him problems, not the bulb/"source" of the light.This stems (most of the time) from having a replacement landing light texture, like the one from Real Environment Extreme. Only way to fix it that I know of is to replace it with the default one again.

No, I do not think that he is referring to the beam. It's the actual "light glows" that I think he is talking about, and that's because I have the same issue. If I switch to a tower view (for example) to watch a quick replay of one of my planes landing, the lights are offset to one side of the plane. As the plane approaches, the lights slowly move towards the position that they are supposed to be in (ie. on the plane itself).

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

No, I do not think that he is referring to the beam. It's the actual "light glows" that I think he is talking about, and that's because I have the same issue. If I switch to a tower view (for example) to watch a quick replay of one of my planes landing, the lights are offset to one side of the plane. As the plane approaches, the lights slowly move towards the position that they are supposed to be in (ie. on the plane itself).
And that is a standard FSX issue.. as you move your point of view, the landing lights move on the plane. Unfortunately..Some vendors have implemented non-standard lighting that eliminates this behavior.

Bert

Christopher is correct it's the actual glow of the lights as you look at the plane from the outside, they do seem to get closer to the correct position as the plane comes into land but they are never quite in the right position.If this is just a known issue it's unlikely to get fixed via Microsoft so I'll just have to put up with it. Wish I could sort out the invisible building crashes though, they are really annoying.Cheers all.Martin