Sign in to follow this  
Hamilton_

Question about MD-80 Panel

Hi, why when I increase throttle on the new MD-80 panel there is a spoiler warning and some other warnings as well? I have checked everything in the panel and the warnings keep going off. Is there something that Im doing wroing. Its kinda annoying.Thanks,Bill

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

Guest lawyerpilot

BUMP BUMP BUMP!!!!!!I have the same problem!!!P4 2.81024 DDRAM800 Bus36 gig SATA hardrive80 gig harddriveATI Radeon 9700 ProCH yoke/pedalsElite Multi quadrant- serial19" inch monitor-Soundblaster PCI 512Win XPCommercial ASEL- Instrument 292 hoursAOPALawyerPilots Bar AssociationNTSB Bar Association"Men without dreams are never free, twas thus this way and thus will ever be."

Guest pbn

If you set flaps for take off, autobrake to "TO" (found on piedestal) and arm your spoiler (shift + spoiler key I think) you should be free of the warnings.

I get the spoiler warning while taxiing to the runway. I don't think it is usual to set the flaps, etc., until you are at the end of the runway and are getting ready to take the runway after getting the proper clearance to do so. Isn't this true? Maybe one of the MD80 real world pilots can clarify this. Thanks, regards, Bob.

Actually, flaps are usually the first thing set after engine start up. They're pretty high up on the Taxi checklist.Considering forgetting to set the flaps caused 2 of our more famous air disasters in the US (chatty Cabin Crew causing Flight Crew to forget they missed setting the flaps) - they make sure to get them set and out of the way as quickly as possible :)

Howard H.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world"

-Mahatma Gandhi

Guest catalinaflyer

Can't speak for an MD80, but in the 727 we have all of our T.O. settings completed before we ever push-back or reverse-back off the gate. Our ground crew figures weight and balance while loading the plane then we cross check it as well as make our trim settings which must be recorded on the weight and balance form which is then signed by all three crew members. We also have a couple of other forms that we have to sign off on, then we pass a copy back down to the ground crew who will then push us back or remove the chocks so we can reverse off the gate.The only thing left to do while taxiing to the runway is the setting of flight instruments. Each operator has specific guidelines regarding cockpit procedures but as a general rule of thumb, most follow the same basic guidelines.Hope this helps.

Guest ABXTECH

On the DC-9/MD-80 family, Setting the slats/flaps to 5 degrees is part of the pre-taxi checklist

Hi all. Thanks to all who set me straight on the settings. I was taught a long tome ago in a C172 and a T-34 not to set the flaps until ready to enter the runway or at least during runup while waiting. They said there was a possibility of FOD hitting the lowered flaps while taxiing. Thanks a lot. Best regards, Bob.

Guest pbn

I've heard you even sometimes taxi with full flaps on DC 9s. I guess it could also aply for the MD80's. It's because the main wheels will throw a lot dirt upwards and backwards and as they are close to being inline with the engines, you can risk getting damages to your rotor because of foreign objects. I'm oblivious not a real pilot and only referring what i've heard.

>>but in the 727 we have all of our T.O. settings completed before we ever push-back or reverse-back off ...Really !? I guess you

Hamilton Müller