Guest PFL

That´s very, very easy...NVIDIA!Whistle.gif

nVIDIA generally performs better if you want to fly with weather turned on. I am currently using an ATI Radeon HD 5770, and I can honestly tell you that performance in the clouds is terrible. I've used Shadermod 3.0, and it doubled my performance, but that only meant going from 6 fps to 12 fps. That said, when I'm flying in clear weather, the card is an absolute joy. But like I said, if you want nice visuals from weather, ATI is not set up to make your life easy.As a plus for ATI, I LOVE Eyefinity, which is a huge advantage of ATI. The only single card option for nVIDIA surround is the GTX 590 (mine will arrive with the UPS man tomorrow morning!), but even that is limited in the amount of VRAM it has, so I'm a bit concerned about running triple monitor resolutions with it. For multiple monitors, nVIDIA is at a significant disadvantage to ATI, and we'll have to see if the GPU world is flipped on it's head with Microsoft Flight.

nVIDIA generally performs better if you want to fly with weather turned on. I am currently using an ATI Radeon HD 5770, and I can honestly tell you that performance in the clouds is terrible. I've used Shadermod 3.0, and it doubled my performance, but that only meant going from 6 fps to 12 fps. That said, when I'm flying in clear weather, the card is an absolute joy. But like I said, if you want nice visuals from weather, ATI is not set up to make your life easy.As a plus for ATI, I LOVE Eyefinity, which is a huge advantage of ATI. The only single card option for nVIDIA surround is the GTX 590 (mine will arrive with the UPS man tomorrow morning!), but even that is limited in the amount of VRAM it has, so I'm a bit concerned about running triple monitor resolutions with it. For multiple monitors, nVIDIA is at a significant disadvantage to ATI, and we'll have to see if the GPU world is flipped on it's head with Microsoft Flight.
This is an old post, I got to it by searching on Radeon/ nVidia. I read here and in other posts that the RDeon cards do not work as well in clouds, is that a correct summation. If so, can someone help me understand why? What is missing in the Radeon GPU that could screw up clouds so much? Thanks, Bruce.

The radeon drivers aren't as good as nVidia's. While nVidia's drivers are also pretty rubbish, ATi's just don't perform as well and can't quite get that same level of detail as nVidia.

nVIDIA generally performs better if you want to fly with weather turned on. I am currently using an ATI Radeon HD 5770, and I can honestly tell you that performance in the clouds is terrible. I've used Shadermod 3.0, and it doubled my performance, but that only meant going from 6 fps to 12 fps. That said, when I'm flying in clear weather, the card is an absolute joy. But like I said, if you want nice visuals from weather, ATI is not set up to make your life easy. As a plus for ATI, I LOVE Eyefinity, which is a huge advantage of ATI. The only single card option for nVIDIA surround is the GTX 590 (mine will arrive with the UPS man tomorrow morning!), but even that is limited in the amount of VRAM it has, so I'm a bit concerned about running triple monitor resolutions with it. For multiple monitors, nVIDIA is at a significant disadvantage to ATI, and we'll have to see if the GPU world is flipped on it's head with Microsoft Flight.
I believe that the GTX 600 series will be featuring a multi monitor thing similar to AMD's eyefinity. It should be then that we will start to see much higher VRam amounts on these cards.

NVidia already has an eyefinity equivalent. With 2 cards in SLI you can run nVidia Surround and nVidia Surround 3D. Once again, ATi releases eyefinity, nVidia replies with Surround and adds 3D haha

That's really the only thing ATi are good for. Having a hundred different ports on their cards.

Some are useless. One has like 6 display ports, who has a monitor with a display port cable. Its not compatible with anything else unless you run it through a powered converter which uses a USB port.

But some have 3 dvi, 2 HDMI and 6 display port. Really? Who needs all that. NVidia should use 3 dvi and one HDMI on their new cards.

DVI is the best hands down. Who cares about size. DVI supports crazy high resolutions.