Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

As other users, FED UP with CTD's using FSX.

I would rather take up crossword puzzles or knitting first. :( Kind regards,
+1Starcraft 2 is keeping me pretty busy. FS9... WAS nice.

Without trying to start any conspiracy theories - I have noticed a distinct escalation in user reported CTDs since MS rolled out Windows 7 SP1 via Windows Update.
You may be on to something... I've never had a CTD in FSX, other than when repeatedlychanging airplanes on the fly... and I'm still on good old WinXP 32.

Bert

Mitch,You're a "tougher" man that I am, because I could never go back to fs9 or even 9.5. I have had many frustrations with FSX, but all the hard work does pay off with some beautiful flights to a full stop.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Why do we install FSX on a seperate drive, partition. 1. So it doesnt get fragmented every time you use your pc.2. If you have win7 or vista and have it installed in the default folder you get security issues, its possible that fsx is trying to access something and windows wont let it.3. If fsx is on a separate drive, then windows should load it faster, as it can write to the c drive while accessing the FSX drive. MAy only be marginal but every second counts.Maybe Im one that just got it right, had fsx with 4 different video cards, 3 different cpus, 3 different motherboards, xp32 and win7 64, and except for memory issues with xp 32 when i got a 1 gig video card, ive never had a dummyspit, unless i caused it myself.

I think we've all had a love/hate relationship with FSX, right now with the rig in my sig, I am pretty happy. Today I was doing circuits in the new Classics Hangar BF108 over Tongass Fjords Sitka and had a transcendent experience.But I can remember reinstalling over and over, trying different OSs, reading reviews on hardware, Overclocking/testing/overclocking some more etc...I wonder sometimes why I do it, but then after tonight I remember. Mitch I guarantee you'll be back in FSX before Flight comes out. It's in our nature, we are not well people :biggrin:EDIT: Have you thought about having FSGS re-do your FSX install, Michael will make it very stable for you.

I'm happy as well. Once I got all of my addons installed, everything looks great, performs great, and I've had only one CTD, which I don't consider too shabby, because I had plenty of CTDs and OOMs using FS9.

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

+1Starcraft 2 is keeping me pretty busy. FS9... WAS nice.
Yep, I'm taking a break running through the Half Life 2 series again - and patiently awaiting Battlefield 3!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Nope. I'm not fed up yet. I rarely ever see a CTD. :(

Nope. I'm not fed up yet. I rarely ever see a CTD. :(
Me too. Whilst I would agree that the amount of people saying they have problems surely indicates that there is some sort of issue, FSX has never been unstable on my machine, even when it was first released. The only time I have ever had a problem with it was when it once refused to reinstall until I did some messing about installing a few windows bits and pieces. Apart from that, it has and does run fine on my computer, and that's in either SP2 form, or with Acceleration.I suspect some of that might be down to the fact that I run it via XP, although to be fair, I do also run it on another machine using Vista, and that seems to work fine as well. I know that does not help the OP's complaint, but it is nevertheless not true to put over the impression that everyone who uses FSX is constantly beset by problems, for if it was, I would certainly say so.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Me too. Whilst I would agree that the amount of people saying they have problems surely indicates that there is some sort of issue, FSX has never been unstable on my machine, even when it was first released. The only time I have ever had a problem with it was when it once refused to reinstall until I did some messing about installing a few windows bits and pieces. Apart from that, it has and does run fine on my computer, and that's in either SP2 form, or with Acceleration.I suspect some of that might be down to the fact that I run it via XP, although to be fair, I do also run it on another machine using Vista, and that seems to work fine as well. I know that does not help the OP's complaint, but it is nevertheless not true to put over the impression that everyone who uses FSX is constantly beset by problems, for if it was, I would certainly say so.Al
Yep, unless these CTD's were consistent across the board with everyone having the same crashes it is impossible to just blanket blame the sim for everyone's issues...To the contrary the amount of people NOT having problems lends itself to the counter theory that there are a lot of machines that are for whatever reason having isolated issues with stability... I know on one of my OS's enabling AA in the graphics drivers causes bluescreens and hw lockups. Same drivers, same settings as my other OS's but for whatever reason ONE behaves completely different and would actually make you believe you have a HW issue. But then 7 other OS's on the same box have NO issues. Just no rhyme or reason at all! But there is SOME setting, tweak, driver etc... on those boxes not playing nicely, not an "unstable" sim...-POn a separate note, some of you guys make me laugh, you obviously have not flown the PMDG MD-11 into Aerosoft Munich or UK2000 EGCC or EGLL using 100% AI and all the add-ons that came available to FS9 after the release of FSX. You act like it is going back to a Commodore 64 when in reality I bet I could post some vids that you would not even know it WAS FS9 and half of you would be asking how did you get FSX to run so smooth? Seriously, don't knock what you don't know but don't let me disturb you on your high horses or disturb your knitting :( :(

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

... half of you would be asking how did you get FSX to run so smooth?
Actually, my problem was that I could never get FS9 to run smooth. I could get intermittent high frames in FS9 followed by serious lags which resulted in a very unsatisfying flight simming experience.Regards, Mike Mann

Yep, I'm taking a break running through the Half Life 2 series again - and patiently awaiting Battlefield 3!
One of the best games ever made Ryan.

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

One of the best games ever made Ryan.
And no CTD's :(

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |