Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

As other users, FED UP with CTD's using FSX.

I give up.I throw in the towel.FS9.5 Mitch'er
Mitcher that's unfortunate you couldn't get this debugged. I think FSX is prone to problems because there are for starters zillions of addons that have to play well with each other. That alone increases the odds of problems. Combine that with FSX's appetite for as much computing power as you can give it makes users want to squeeze every bit of power out of their hardware that I think many of us run the sim on the edge of instability and then wonder why she doesn't run quite right. Not suggesting that's you, but I know it happens. If you're fortunate you can make sim run really well, and I'm one of those folks. I never see CTD's, take 5h flights with no problems except the dang autopilot doesn't always avoid traffic when I'm away doing something else! I think this is another reason I'm not too anxious to upgrade hardware. I am intrigued by X-plane 10 though so will have a look at that when it's ready, but not because of FSX problems.Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Mitcher that's unfortunate you couldn't get this debugged. I think FSX is prone to problems because there are for starters zillions of addons that have to play well with each other. That alone increases the odds of problems. Combine that with FSX's appetite for as much computing power as you can give it makes users want to squeeze every bit of power out of their hardware that I think many of us run the sim on the edge of instability and then wonder why she doesn't run quite right. Not suggesting that's you, but I know it happens. If you're fortunate you can make sim run really well, and I'm one of those folks. I never see CTD's, take 5h flights with no problems except the dang autopilot doesn't always avoid traffic when I'm away doing something else! I think this is another reason I'm not too anxious to upgrade hardware. I am intrigued by X-plane 10 though so will have a look at that when it's ready, but not because of FSX problems.Noel
-----------------------------------------------------------------Wow....I just got home from work....and dropped on into the forum. I almost feel ashamed 'for throwing in the towel' due to the truly great and supportive response to my venting thread. All of your responses deserves a 'one more' effort by myself. That is for sure. Since I always make an image back-up of my entire system, it will be a no-sweat to bring everything back onboard within about 30 minutes.I really do love what FSX brings to the table, but do NOT love the instability (at least on my system and config) as per my thread.I read through all the suggestions of you great bunch of folks...and first off....will start stripping out all the TWEAKS that we have accumulated over time to squeeze a few more drops out of performance. I will keep stripping them out and keep taking that KDTW-KMYR flight as a base line of reference. The first flight (I sure HOPE I fly one....) that allows me to land from along the original flight-path...will be my signal that I have isolated (at least in my config file...) the offending TWEAK/ENTRY. I will then publish that offending tweak..and hopefully it might stop the CTD's that any other user is experiencing. If I don't end up eliminating the CTD's...at least I can say to myself that I gave it the one last ol' college try...and made it worth your collective, and great support of another's FSX misery!It looks like it might be a long night....("Hey Honey....can you just slip the food under the door......and I love you for not rolling your eyes to much!) To reload the image backup and take a flight out of FSX's KDTW..... Wish me luck! I really want to keep FSX flying on this rig...but flying...and not crashing to the desktop. I already know what the desktop looks like! (large grin).Mitch

On a separate note, some of you guys make me laugh, you obviously have not flown the PMDG MD-11 into Aerosoft Munich or UK2000 EGCC or EGLL using 100% AI and all the add-ons that came available to FS9 after the release of FSX. You act like it is going back to a Commodore 64 when in reality I bet I could post some vids that you would not even know it WAS FS9 and half of you would be asking how did you get FSX to run so smooth? Seriously, don't knock what you don't know but don't let me disturb you on your high horses or disturb your knitting :( :(
I agree that once inside the confines of an airport there isn't really much difference in looks between FSX and FS9, in fact in many cases if you look at a screen shot of an a/c parked at a gate in and aftermarket airport be it FSX or FS9, 99% of the time you probably wouldn't even be able to tell the difference. I think the difference for those of us who prefer FSX to FS9 these days is the way the sim looks once you are outside the confines of the airport, mainly speaking of the difference in looks between the ground textures and water textures. Personally, I had FS9 installed along with FSX about a year ago to make some in-sim comparisons and while I could squeeze a few more FPS out when running 100% AI, it was the way the sim looked outside of the airport that I couldn't take anymore and that was using GE Pro.If it means we have to turn off car traffic and lower AI from 100% at some airports to 80-90% AI, then so be it. I would rather trim AI a few percentage and get better global visuals than run AI at 100% for every airport and only enjoy the look when parked at a gate or on final/departure. Besides at large hubs like KJFK the difference between running 80% AI and 100% is barely even noticable, both settings will give you a huge amount of traffic comming and going, as well as traffic parked at the gates.Then again, you can always turn down the global textures, water settings, and autogen, all airport ground vehicles, run 512 clouds, and you will get performance that is pretty much the same as FS9, although the ground textures will still look a little better.
-----------------------------------------------------------------Wow....I just got home from work....and dropped on into the forum. I almost feel ashamed 'for throwing in the towel' due to the truly great and supportive response to my venting thread. All of your responses deserves a 'one more' effort by myself. That is for sure. Since I always make an image back-up of my entire system, it will be a no-sweat to bring everything back onboard within about 30 minutes.I really do love what FSX brings to the table, but do NOT love the instability (at least on my system and config) as per my thread.I read through all the suggestions of you great bunch of folks...and first off....will start stripping out all the TWEAKS that we have accumulated over time to squeeze a few more drops out of performance. I will keep stripping them out and keep taking that KDTW-KMYR flight as a base line of reference. The first flight (I sure HOPE I fly one....) that allows me to land from along the original flight-path...will be my signal that I have isolated (at least in my config file...) the offending TWEAK/ENTRY. I will then publish that offending tweak..and hopefully it might stop the CTD's that any other user is experiencing. If I don't end up eliminating the CTD's...at least I can say to myself that I gave it the one last ol' college try...and made it worth your collective, and great support of another's FSX misery!It looks like it might be a long night....("Hey Honey....can you just slip the food under the door......and I love you for not rolling your eyes to much!) To reload the image backup and take a flight out of FSX's KDTW..... Wish me luck! I really want to keep FSX flying on this rig...but flying...and not crashing to the desktop. I already know what the desktop looks like! (large grin).Mitch
Good to hear Mitch that you're not giving up. I am surpised again to hear of your problems. A few weeks ago after one of your posts I though you had your problems solved again, so I was pretty surprised to see uyou back again with issues.Hopefully at some point you will get to the point where some of us are, where you can run the sim 24/7 flying anything or anywhere you want and have no crashes or problems.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hence all the TWEAK posts. No kidding....M.S. ran like h*ll and abandoning it for good reasons, closed up the shop that coded it out. Also, I do not believe that there are ANY users of FSX that have not had a CTD and/or an animation freeze at any time of usage since it came out!!!!!
Maybe part of the problem is said tweak posts. Aces created the simulator and decided what parameters to make tweakable and what their default values should be. It's reasonable to assume that the values they came up with for the various configuration parameters are somewhat sensible, seeing as they wrote the whole thing.I'm not saying there's no point in tweaking - computers have changed a lot since FSX was released in 2006. Settings that didn't make sense on a 2006 PC might make sense on a high-end PC from 2011. However I don't think any amount of tweaking is going to magically "fix" a flaky FSX installation. However if FSX is already running smoothly and reliably on your systems, a few tweaks might help you achieve perfection.The only exception would be the known incompatibility between FSX and a Windows 7 dll file, UIAutomationCore.dll. You need to put Vista's version in your FSX folder, or the sim will crash after using the pop-up menus a few times.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

It looks like it might be a long night....("Hey Honey....can you just slip the food under the door......and I love you for not rolling your eyes to much!) To reload the image backup and take a flight out of FSX's KDTW..... Wish me luck! I really want to keep FSX flying on this rig...but flying...and not crashing to the desktop. I already know what the desktop looks like! (large grin).Mitch
Mitch, you're not having an out of memory error are you? That was the only thing that ever presented as a CTD for me and that was prior to my current PC and OS, and was secondary to the old and well known issue of having a, pardon my aging memory, an empty texture folder inside of a scenery folder. Sorry I really don't recall what the specifics were, but as I say it was a well known issue at the time I think.Good luck Mitch I hope you get it figured out as it is a very satisfying experience when it isn't broken. I think too for me, I don't have the hottest rig on the planet, but it's stable and plenty good 'nuf for enjoying. Tweaks beyond galore, EMBSeries this and FPS_limiter that and thrown in some new shaders and before long it's truly amazing everyone isn't suffering from CTD's!

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Look at my system specs below. It cost me $3000, a DOA Motherboard from New Egg, two weeks of waiting for a new motherboard to arrive, two days of putting the system together, one week of tweaking and overclocking, two weeks of reinstalling everything from scratch and only NOW is FSX working like it was meant to be 4 years ago.It is what it is.

Good to hear you are not throwing in the towel just yet. I usually have 1 CTD per flight, but the CTD happens while I'm in the UI, before the simulation ahs even loaded. You see, with my FSX, the UI is terribly slow. I'm convinced is due to the massive amounts of scenery I have, including lots of photoreal scenery, but other that that, I can do flights without running into trouble.True, the FPS sometimes is truly awful, and I remember times when it was better. I'm quite sure that there is a DLL somewhere in there that is causing this, but I wouldn't know which one, and in fact, I don't really feel like starting all the fidgeting, tweaking and troubleshooting again.For me, FSX is okay. I hate it and I love it at the same time.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

If only CTDs were constant. I flew TNCC-TNCM when I got a MSVCR80.DLL error. The next day I re-did the flight, with the exact same flightplan and exact same aircraft.This time it did not CTD.You cannot remove a tweak then fly KDTW-KMYR without CTDs and conclude that you've removed the offending tweak. You might get CTD some days later with the same .CFG

We really need a database that looks at all the variables and evaluates which ones/combinations among surveyed users cause CTD or other undesireable behaviors like stutters, blurred textures, etc. I know we have ideas that suggest what to look at but how cool to have a registry that can evaluate the data.

Noel

Mitch,Once upon a while, I observed those terrible ctds (g3d.dll errors) at various places with various settings. In my case it was the sound module entry of 'audio environment' in the dll.xml. Since then ctds are nearly gone. Keeping eyes on the dll.xml might be helpful - particularly if a lot of addon modules are installed. Another point which has been discussed is the fps limiter 0.2. Don't know if you use this one. You can also find a profound discussion on the ftx forums about those g3d.dll errors (http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/33032-an-open-letter-to-orbx-re-g3ddll-errors-in-pnw/). Harry

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Me too. Whilst I would agree that the amount of people saying they have problems surely indicates that there is some sort of issue, FSX has never been unstable on my machine, even when it was first released. The only time I have ever had a problem with it was when it once refused to reinstall until I did some messing about installing a few windows bits and pieces. Apart from that, it has and does run fine on my computer, and that's in either SP2 form, or with Acceleration.I suspect some of that might be down to the fact that I run it via XP, although to be fair, I do also run it on another machine using Vista, and that seems to work fine as well. I know that does not help the OP's complaint, but it is nevertheless not true to put over the impression that everyone who uses FSX is constantly beset by problems, for if it was, I would certainly say so.Al
Al,You are right about there having to be something up, since there is a large amount of people that still seem to experience CTD. I wonder if it is just random things or are the cases narrowing down to a certin aspect of the PC or software. I'm running FSX on Windows 7 64bit with 4GB of RAM and it runs great. I always run and install all add-ons and FSX using the "Run As Administrator" option. I remember when I had Vista 32bit I did get CTDs occationally, but mainly OOM errors. I would make sure FSX was the only app running and ran tools to close all non-essential background apps. That helped for a while, but what Fixed things was going up to 3GB. Now I'm running 4GB on Win 7 64bit and I my setup is solid.Have CTD errors started to narrow down to any 1 or 2 specific causes?

HelloIt seem that most of the issues are from folks running W764.Microsoft themselves state that this OS is incompatible with FSX but not Acceleration for some reason.They have in some reported cases refused validation after installing FSX.Now for Microsoft to adjust is stance on compatibility with W764 between two of its own products, that decision must have come from logging a lot of customer support calls and data from the built in online crash reports.Why else would they put this on their compatability site.http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Search.aspx?type=Software&s=flight%20simulator%20x&os=64-bit

Guest nzch2010
HelloIt seem that most of the issues are from folks running W764.Microsoft themselves state that this OS is incompatible with FSX but not Acceleration for some reason.They have in some reported cases refused validation after installing FSX.Now for Microsoft to adjust is stance on compatibility with W764 between two of its own products, that decision must have come from logging a lot of customer support calls and data from the built in online crash reports.Why else would they put this on their compatability site.http://www.microsoft...r%20x&os=64-bit
Rubbish. I have been using FSX on a 64 bit OS since W7 was released. That compatibility statement is mostly to do with program files X86 and UAC. Even a brain dead garden gnome knows how to overcome that.Have not had a CTD yet. If your OS is set up correctly, FSX is tuned correctly and not tweaked to death, you can have a very stable flight simming experience. Too state that CTD's in FSX are caused by W7 64 is folly, it is user error, plain and simple. Even badly coded scenery addons can cause CTD. Double afcads etc. W7 64, I don't think so my friend, you have been mis informed.What do you expect from Microsoft, that tells you to "press start to shut down windows"

By the way have you never heard of sarcacsm?Bryan.
Have you ??

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Rubbish. I have been using FSX on a 64 bit OS since W7 was released. That compatibility statement is mostly to do with program files X86 and UAC. Even a brain dead garden gnome knows how to overcome that.Have not had a CTD yet. If your OS is set up correctly, FSX is tuned correctly and not tweaked to death, you can have a very stable flight simming experience. Too state that CTD's in FSX are caused by W7 64 is folly, it is user error, plain and simple. Even badly coded scenery addons can cause CTD. Double afcads etc. W7 64, I don't think so my friend, you have been mis informed.What do you expect from Microsoft, that tells you to "press start to shut down windows"
Vista also uses UAC, though.. so I don't think that's it. Also, FSX does store user data in the proper folder (c:\users\... rather than in the installation folder).Acceleration includes SP2, but SP2 itself does not count as a separate product. That's probably why FSX (RTM) is listed as incompatible while Acceleration is supposed to be compatible (though the UIAutomationCore.dll error in Win7 affects all versions of FSX...).

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP