Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

As other users, FED UP with CTD's using FSX.

Mitch, you're not having an out of memory error are you? That was the only thing that ever presented as a CTD for me and that was prior to my current PC and OS, and was secondary to the old and well known issue of having a, pardon my aging memory, an empty texture folder inside of a scenery folder. Sorry I really don't recall what the specifics were, but as I say it was a well known issue at the time I think.Good luck Mitch I hope you get it figured out as it is a very satisfying experience when it isn't broken. I think too for me, I don't have the hottest rig on the planet, but it's stable and plenty good 'nuf for enjoying. Tweaks beyond galore, EMBSeries this and FPS_limiter that and thrown in some new shaders and before long it's truly amazing everyone isn't suffering from CTD's!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hi Noel, I didn't end up having a chance to run the test bed flight up and to the point that a terrain.dll CTD took me out. What I intend to do, is start stripping out the tweaks from the config and see at what point (crossing my fingers!!!) I can complete flights and stay afloat. If I have no success that way....I will just delete the .cfg file and let FSX rebuild. I had done that once, and was amazed at how much performance (FPS) you lose if you don't have at least some of the more popular tweaks published over the years. That's why I wish to start with just deleting them as I go...(with notes) and find if one of them might be the cause of true instability.
Good to hear you are not throwing in the towel just yet. I usually have 1 CTD per flight, but the CTD happens while I'm in the UI, before the simulation ahs even loaded. You see, with my FSX, the UI is terribly slow. I'm convinced is due to the massive amounts of scenery I have, including lots of photoreal scenery, but other that that, I can do flights without running into trouble.True, the FPS sometimes is truly awful, and I remember times when it was better. I'm quite sure that there is a DLL somewhere in there that is causing this, but I wouldn't know which one, and in fact, I don't really feel like starting all the fidgeting, tweaking and troubleshooting again.For me, FSX is okay. I hate it and I love it at the same time.
----------------------------------------------------------------As I strip out my tweak entries, if I find that I can fly with no CTD's...I'll publish the last stripped out tweak entry, before I found stability, and perhaps others can match it up to their CTD or three.

Whoohoo! Just had a new CTD (although it happened on exit) Fault Module Name: simprop.dll

HelloIt seem that most of the issues are from folks running W764.Microsoft themselves state that this OS is incompatible with FSX but not Acceleration for some reason.They have in some reported cases refused validation after installing FSX.Now for Microsoft to adjust is stance on compatibility with W764 between two of its own products, that decision must have come from logging a lot of customer support calls and data from the built in online crash reports.Why else would they put this on their compatability site.http://www.microsoft...r%20x&os=64-bit
If you read the entire thing, you will se they say that ONLY the 64 part of Win 7 is incompatible, the 32 bit part works just fine. Since FS is a 32 bit program, it don't take a rocket scientist to come up with that conclusion. I have been running FSX in it's default location since day 1 without any issues, except for one addon plane that caused problems, and thats now gone.

Jay

Whoohoo! Just had a new CTD (although it happened on exit) Fault Module Name: simprop.dll
HelloWhat does your brain dead garden gnome say about it, can he not help you.
If you read the entire thing, you will se they say that ONLY the 64 part of Win 7 is incompatible, the 32 bit part works just fine. Since FS is a 32 bit program, it don't take a rocket scientist to come up with that conclusion. I have been running FSX in it's default location since day 1 without any issues, except for one addon plane that caused problems, and thats now gone.
HelloTell microsoft that, at this point they do not seem to agree with you hence they will not support you.Or reactivate you by phone once your installation limit is reached.

"HelloTell microsoft that, at this point they do not seem to agree with you hence they will not support you.Or reactivate you by phone once your installation limit is reached. "Then they should read their own site, it clearly states its compatible with the 32 bit part of Win 7 64. I wouldnt waste my time in any case trying to deal with MS, these and other forums are much better at helping users, and a heck of a lot cheaper.

Jay

Guest nzch2010
HelloWhat does your brain dead garden gnome say about it, can he not help you.HelloTell microsoft that, at this point they do not seem to agree with you hence they will not support you.Or reactivate you by phone once your installation limit is reached.
Research is it all it takes to build up a stable system using W7 64, and there is countless forums around including this one with very knowledgable people who share there expertise at no cost to the end user. Installing FSX and addons to the windows default location and UAC turned on including windows defender is asking for trouble. The only reason some were not able to activate FSX would be due to UAC turned on. UAC might be a good thing in a internet cafe, but certainly over the top for home use.Don't take too much notice of what Squishy posts, he may one day post something intelligent. He does nothing but bag FSX on here, and is becoming rather tiresome. Speaking of garden gnomes.......Raised%20Eyebrow.gif

Don't take too much notice of what Squishy posts, he may one day post something intelligent. He does nothing but bag FSX on here, and is becoming rather tiresome. Speaking of garden gnomes.......Raised%20Eyebrow.gif
Oh grow up. What's tiresome is that after 5 years FSX still CTDs and nobody knows how to fix it. Then people open topics "hey I fixed my CTD, my GPU was overheating, try it now". THat's tiresome. I posted here years ago with CTD problems but apparently it cannot be fixed. If you do not experience CTDs, great. Good for you, but that doesn't FSX is stable and the problem lies with someone's computer.But you're right I might've been complaining a lot recently. It's just that only this month i've completely formatted and reinstalled FSX carefully, only to get a big fat CTD in my fase on final.

There is one option a lot of us have used, and don't get any CTD's or any other problems with FSX .... www.fs-gs.com :(
$85?? LMAAAAAOOOOOO!!!!!!!

There is one option a lot of us have used, and don't get any CTD's or any other problems with FSX .... www.fs-gs.com :(
You know it's funny Jay, but I was thinking the same thing. We both had our whole system tuned and set up professionally and have no problems, CTD's, or other annoyances. To this day I don't understand how some people, especially if they have the money (Mitch), don't use FS-GS to get set properly, especially if they are dogged with problems all the time. Even funnier is that those who use FS-GS swear by it and those who don't dog it, but yet continue to waste time and engery trying to figure out how to get it working properly.Even funnier, you mention Michael and "Squishy" says "$85?? LMAAAAAOOOOOO!!!!!!!"At this point I think "Squishy" gets more satisfaction in complaining about FSX, posting about FSX dll crashes, and piling on other peoples CTD posts, than he does actually doing something about his computer/FSX issues and getting it fixed.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

----------------------------------------------------------------- Since I always make an image back-up of my entire system, it will be a no-sweat to bring everything back onboard within about 30 minutes.Mitch
IMHO, this is a mistake (not making images, but trying to re-use an image which represents a faulty install).Properly uninstall everything, run something like CCleaner, wipe the drive and start fresh. If you don't have a separate drive for FSX, get one. Your image(s) may contain the old bugbears. Other than that, your methodical approach sounds like sanity. Also, resist the urge for any tweaks and try running the sim, tweak-free, for as long as possible. As you point out, focus on flying and see what your joy/stress levels are.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

"HelloTell microsoft that, at this point they do not seem to agree with you hence they will not support you.Or reactivate you by phone once your installation limit is reached. "Then they should read their own site, it clearly states its compatible with the 32 bit part of Win 7 64. I wouldnt waste my time in any case trying to deal with MS, these and other forums are much better at helping users, and a heck of a lot cheaper.
Hellothat Pic clearly shows that it is compatible with the 32bit version of win7 NOT the 64bit version, which is a different product entirely.Hence the reason that you get both disks included in the box when you buy a retail copy of Win7.I have two disks supplied when I bought Win7, a 32bit install dvd and a 64bit dvd, it is the 32bit version that MS states is compatable.

At this point I think "Squishy" gets more satisfaction in complaining about FSX, posting about FSX dll crashes, and piling on other peoples CTD posts, than he does actually doing something about his computer/FSX issues and getting it fixed.
Once again the FSX issues cannot be fixed, i tried over and over.Must say it's much better than before. I only get 1 CTD per 5 flights now

Once again the FSX issues cannot be fixed, i tried over and over.Must say it's much better than before. I only get 1 CTD per 5 flights now
HelloTry running it under XP64 , I have zero issues here with both FS9 and FSX under XP64 bit.Never had a problem since going to XP64, under W764 I could not even switch between the desktop and full screen more than once without it locking up.Dropping back to the desktop to launch Radar Contact or PFE was a total crap shoot.

Guest nzch2010
HelloTry running it under XP64 , I have zero issues here with both FS9 and FSX under XP64 bit.Never had a problem since going to XP64, under W764 I could not even switch between the desktop and full screen more than once without it locking up.Dropping back to the desktop to launch Radar Contact or PFE was a total crap shoot.
You are getting lock ups because you have not done any research. There is lots of information on how to cure the lock ups when switching from full screen to windows. Maybe you should give "Bus Simulator" a whirl, because even after explaing how FSX works in W7 64 you still are not able to comprehend. I have been invoplved in the FS community long enough to recognise someone who has trouble absorbing technical information, Let me know how you get on with your Bus.Rolling%20Eyes.gif