I got such good advice on my last post about audio (I did pick up a headphone amplifier), thought I would ask another one. I am hearing what I would call low level background noise. Let's see... how to describe this. With no audio playing and volume turned down all the way down I can hear some type of muffled noise (is that what they call "whitenoise"? Hearing this in my headset or my external speakers. Not AC line noise or buzzing but more like inherent "sound" (for lack of a better word). Under normal use (like FSX) not really an issue but if I play music softly I can hear it. Is what I am experiencing bad "signal to noise ratio"?FYI - this is using a brand new Asus Sabertooth P67 motherboard (retail $225?), where on-board audio is Realtek ALC892 8-channel 192khz/24bit. I bypassed all my audio gear and went straight from the motherboard on-board audio to my headphones. All I hear is white noise which seems to be the cleanest I can get. Then I went through my new headphone amplifier and it does amplify the background noise and now I also here a little "thump", every second or so as if some PC background service is running.So I guess I am asking, would a good soundcard knock this noise down? I used to use Creative cards years ago but have no idea what they or others offer these days. Suggestions appreciated.Clutch

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

I got such good advice on my last post about audio (I did pick up a headphone amplifier), thought I would ask another one. I am hearing what I would call low level background noise. Let's see... how to describe this. With no audio playing and volume turned down all the way down I can hear some type of muffled noise (is that what they call "whitenoise"? Hearing this in my headset or my external speakers. Not AC line noise or buzzing but more like inherent "sound" (for lack of a better word). Under normal use (like FSX) not really an issue but if I play music softly I can hear it. Is what I am experiencing bad "signal to noise ratio"?FYI - this is using a brand new Asus Sabertooth P67 motherboard (retail $225?), where on-board audio is Realtek ALC892 8-channel 192khz/24bit. I bypassed all my audio gear and went straight from the motherboard on-board audio to my headphones. All I hear is white noise which seems to be the cleanest I can get. Then I went through my new headphone amplifier and it does amplify the background noise and now I also here a little "thump", every second or so as if some PC background service is running.So I guess I am asking, would a good soundcard knock this noise down? I used to use Creative cards years ago but have no idea what they or others offer these days. Suggestions appreciated.Clutch
Hello Clutch,I have tried a few possible solutions myself over the last few months.When I installed Fs-X for the first time, I was using a Creative Soundblaster Audigy at the time.However, it was a pci card and due to latency, I had a lot of both noice and pops and cracks in the sound.Somebody gave me the advice to switch that card for a PCI-E card and so I bought myself a Creative Soundblaster Fatailty card.It was an improvement but still not quite silent (read performant) to my taste.When I switched motherboards in october last year, I tried the onboard sound of the asrock P55 deluxe3. Even that was an improvement on the creative (I guess the drivers for the creative cards are still not up to parr with the latest hardware and OS).I switched to an extern soundcard when I heard the results when visiting Germany. Living In Belgium however, I didn't have much choice so I looked over the border to Germany again (they now also have a Dutch website I've noticed) and found a great piece of hardware (including speakers)See thge link : http://www.teufelaudio.nl/pc/o-preis/p-1.htmlIt's all in all not that expensive knowing the speakers are included.You can even connect you mp3player or other sources on the amplifier and don't worry, they go loud.... very loud if you want to.I am a very pleased with this set.Luc BrusselmansBelgium

Hey,What you're describing here is a clear effect of bad SNR (signal to noise ratio).Investing into a good soundcard is the right way to go (and no, Creative doesn't make what I would call a good soundcard for music).That is why I have two soundcards - one Creative Soundblaster X-Fi, which is used for general windows sound, it has relatively low SNR compared to onboard. But SB failes when it comes to really good sound for my 4000€ Genelecs. Also SB is used for games.This is where M-Audio Audiophile 2496 comes in - its a non-expensive card with chinch connectors. You get good cables and you are set. Sound from that card is simply excellent. Low SNR of course too.I can push faders on my mixer all the way up just to hear some noise. SB X-Fi produces way more noise than Audiophile on the same gain, that much is clearly audible.You might ask, why not Audiophile only?1) two sources2) possibly better game compatibility, though I did game with Audiophile alreadyAnd I love the possibility that I can regulate the volume of music even if in the game -> Winamp set to Audiophile output (I sometimes turn off the ingame music for the games I play a long time, like Starcraft...).