Sign in to follow this  
EnglishRebel

Maps

What maps would anyone recommend (paper or electronic)? I ran a flight sim program quite a few years ago called Sub-Logic and it came with a map package that covered the whole country. They were not official ones -- just ones created by Sub-Logic so I'm not sure if they will work with FSX. I have an iPad and looked at the Jeppesen electronic maps but they are so expensive.ThanksAlan

If you are just after one to show you where the airports and navaids are then Plan-G is worth a try to start, especially as it is free..G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

sub logic and a few years back....now lets be honest, it was a few decades back...lol.Yes, look up Plan-G on Google. There are some payware but Plan G is a great place to start. I never use paper. There are electronic versions of charts available all over the place which also help. You can just switch screens or run a second monitor to show your locations, maps etc.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

What maps would anyone recommend (paper or electronic)? I ran a flight sim program quite a few years ago called Sub-Logic and it came with a map package that covered the whole country. They were not official ones -- just ones created by Sub-Logic so I'm not sure if they will work with FSX. I have an iPad and looked at the Jeppesen electronic maps but they are so expensive.ThanksAlan
I still have my complete set of Sublogic hard copy maps. I think that most of the VOR frequencies are still valid but you can retrieve all the frequencies and much other data from the FSX flight planner so the sublogic maps aren't needed unless you want to spread them out on a table and do some mind planning.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

I still have my complete set of Sublogic hard copy maps. I think that most of the VOR frequencies are still valid but you can retrieve all the frequencies and much other data from the FSX flight planner so the sublogic maps aren't needed unless you want to spread them out on a table and do some mind planning.
that made me look at the shelf where the ATP map set still resides; maybe it's time to put it away - if it doesn't crumble when I start to take it down...Loyd

Plan-G is really really good.Alternatives may be Golden Eagle Flight Prep, that has a freeware version available, and is geared towards real world use.I typically use Voyager, another real world mapping and planning software. I was lucky enough to purchase digitized Low Charts and a Approach Plate package that was offered a couple years back, for an unbeatable price, and covers the entire U.S. I don't get the chart/plate updates per the real world release, but not a big deal for me in FS. Nice thing about Voyager is I can create 'real world' plans including a printable flight plan, and also export the plan to FSX. I can also save the Approach Plates I will need and link it to my saved Flight Plan, so everything is at my fingertips when I need it. It also includes real world weather, and adjusts the your plan accordingly (time, recommended altitude, etc.). Voyager also has a freeware package, but does not include any digitized Charts, similar to the Golden Eagle Flight Prep freeware package.A memory hog, but I really like Voyager a lot, and as I use it on my second computer it does not steal resources from my FS rig.But again, Plan-G is also great, works seamlessly with FSX, and if you have it on a second computer you can network it to your FSX rig and follow your flight in real time.

Plan-G is excellent for VFR flight. For IFR I'd recomment AivlaSoft EFB.
Hi Trisager,Do you use EFB? I have just installed it activated a flight plan. How do you enter an approach? Then approach map is blank, presumably because I can't enter it :). I have read the flight planning portion of the manual.Once I figure this out, it's excellent, FYI to the OP.Thanks, Bruce.

If you need US enroute charts you can get them for free from http://skyvector.com/. You can get free US airdrome charts from http://www.airnav.com/airports/.You can get free UK charts from http://www.nats-uk.e.../index.php.html, altho Im not sure if they have enroute charts as I rarely fly in the UK.You can get free EU charts from http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/ (free, requires registration)

Yep...smacking head....how could we miss SkyVector?Great resource.

Do you use EFB? I have just installed it activated a flight plan. How do you enter an approach?
After activating the flight plan: On the top, select "Approach". On the left, select "XXXX Approach" and "Select Approach" (XXXX is the name of your destination).

After activating the flight plan: On the top, select "Approach". On the left, select "XXXX Approach" and "Select Approach" (XXXX is the name of your destination).
Thanks, much appreciated. Excellent tool!Bruce.