Sign in to follow this  
Benjamin J

What do you make of Windows 8?

Since my OS is already running DX11 and I have zero need for an absurdly overpriced paperweight (touchscreen)... Win8 is dead on arrival.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

At this point all that is on my wish list is Windows 8 with MS Flight running in DX11 with a 42" Monitor mounted above a 24" Touchscreen. No more mouse and keyboard for me :(
Indeed. Think about it. We would be able to touch the controls on the aircraft panels. More like the real thing than fumbling for the mouse.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Guest jahman
Since my OS is already running DX11 and I have zero need for an absurdly overpriced paperweight (touchscreen)... Win8 is dead on arrival.
OK, so you're in the camp of folks who think a new OS release is just a new GUI. Optimizations in kernel efficiency, Remote Procedure Call prioritizations etc., all for a smooth graphics rendering slide right past you.Cheers,- jahman.

Speak for yourself then. There have always been resistant ones in the Flight Sim Community that always get left behind due to their own stubbornness. However 2 years later when the new technologies become mainstream it is amazing how people jump on board even though they said they wouldn't. Cheers :(

Matthew Kane

As I´ve allready said I´m pritty happy with windows 7 but a touchscreen interface would be definitely nice.

Personally I don't want a pc operating system that looks like a phone uiSo I hope there will be a setting option for the traditional desktop.Bottom line, I'm not impressed.

Guest jahman
...Bottom line, I'm not impressed.
You can't be "impressed" or "not impressed": AFAIK, there's been no tech info released as to what sort of improvements are being done to the insides, e.g. that thingy they call the "kernel" and other fancy stuff.All we have at this point is "premature opinionation".Cheers,- jahman.

I CAN be not impressed and you'll like it that way :)Who the are you anyway. Certainly no one of any consequence to me.Cheers.

I CAN be not impressed and you'll like it that way :)Who the are you anyway. Certainly no one of any consequence to me.Cheers.
All jahman means is that there just isn't enough info on Windows Ate.By the way, do you own a smart phone, and thereby know enough about the UI to comment?Bob

Bob

What does it matter ? I know what is efficient for me and that isn't it.Like I said, I hope there will be a setting to use the traditional desktop.If people want to use a pc in the manner shown in the demo.Have at it.

What does it matter ? I know what is efficient for me and that isn't it.Like I said, I hope there will be a setting to use the traditional desktop.If people want to use a pc in the manner shown in the demo.Have at it.
It matters because touch screens and voice commands are much more "efficient" than mouse and keyboard. I don't plan to give up my mouse and keyboard anytime soon, but you never know.There probably will be all kinds of ways to interface with Windows ATE. Heck, you can make W7 look like W98 if you want. No point in getting all worked up about it. Bob

Bob

It matters because touch screens and voice commands are much more "efficient" than mouse and keyboard. I don't plan to give up my mouse and keyboard anytime soon, but you never know.There probably will be all kinds of ways to interface with Windows ATE. Heck, you can make W7 look like W98 if you want. No point in getting all worked up about it. Bob
Touch screens are only as efficient as the interface they're used in. Ironically, same as a mouse. Touch screens work exactly like a mouse (unless you count the patented multi-touch capability of the iPhone). Exactly. Touch screens have been around for a long, long time. I know, I have personally used them many times. Touch screens are already useable with Win98... let alone Win7. There is absolutely no need for a new OS to start using a touch screen.As for voice commands... that too is already part of the OS. Just because FS doesn't support it doesn't mean it's not already there.The new Windows is a path you really aren't going to want to travel down.... but, since I know you won't buy that... we'll just leave this post as 'marker' for the day "I told ya so."

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Yeah that speech to text is great init?High gymBe they're uh round sicks. :( :(

Touch screens are only as efficient as the interface they're used in. Ironically, same as a mouse. Touch screens work exactly like a mouse (unless you count the patented multi-touch capability of the iPhone). Exactly. Touch screens have been around for a long, long time. I know, I have personally used them many times. Touch screens are already useable with Win98... let alone Win7. There is absolutely no need for a new OS to start using a touch screen.As for voice commands... that too is already part of the OS. Just because FS doesn't support it doesn't mean it's not already there.The new Windows is a path you really aren't going to want to travel down.... but, since I know you won't buy that... we'll just leave this post as 'marker' for the day "I told ya so."
Using a touchscreen to program an FMC WILL be a lot easier then using mouse and keyboard. One hand on the yoke, the other off to the side on the touchscreen. That is really close to a flight deck setup.You can argue all you want or take a look at the configuration of a 737 with FMC. There is no mouse and keyboard anywhere on the flight deck of a 737. So your argument is pointless on a Flight Sim Forum.You are arguing with people that are looking for solutions to making their home cockpit setups more realistic so your argument will fall in deaf ears :Talking Ear Off:I see touchscreens and multiple monitors as an extremely cost effective way of building a home cockpit, and they are easily changeable by loading up different Flight Decks to display and interact with.Windows 8 and MS Flight will bring a new set of tools. Keep an open mind what they will release in time. Right now their is not a lot of information. So it is pointless to criticize anything at this point.Cheers

Matthew Kane

Well, here are MY 2 cents:1) We are all talking about W8 like its been out for a week already, when it has only just been announced (I didnt even know that it existed before I saw this thread). This whole new phone-like interface (which only Apple can pull off well, sorry) could be just a side feature, or something that you only see for two seconds before clicking on to your desktop. We know very little about W8 as of now, so lets hold off on that 'switching over' stuff until we have all tried it out. 2) Reluctance to switch over is just a human trait. Think about it. When your alarm clock rings at 7am, you are very comfortable as it is and are reluctant to 'switch over' to the waking world. But you just go for it, and 30 minutes later, you are wide awake (or at least awake) and dont necessarily want to crawl back to bed. My point is, if you are already comfortable with W7 (or XP), switching over to W8 would be the same as getting out of bed early. You just need to tear yourself away, get on your feet, and in no time you are comfortable again. Bottom line: YOU WILL GET USED TO IT! (oh, by the way, I myself prefer to stay snuggled up in Windows 7 for as long as possible! rolleyes.gif)