Sign in to follow this  
Benjamin J

What do you make of Windows 8?

Bottom line. YOU WILL GET USED TO IT!!Funny thing, ..by your own confession none of you who've posted comments to me know anything about the next OS from MS.Except of course what they've shown in the demo. And here you are trying to convince others how they will receive it. Fascinating. I do know I don't want a ui as shown in the video posted.And since none of you have ever seen my setup or how and what I use my pc for, keep your opinions as to what I will need, want like or otherwise to yourselves.Maybe OS'S should be added as a religious belief.I don't think I'll have someone tell me what's best for me in that realm . Thank you and goodbye

As far as I am concern I couldn't care less if it is Windows 7 or Windows 8. I have a desktop dedicated to FSX. I intend on having a machine dedicated to MS Flight when that comes out. If MS Flight is optimized for Windows 8 then that is what I will use.I prepaid for WIndows 7 Home Premium and use the 64-bit. Prepaying meant it cost my $75 for the upgrade. Why would I complain about that. I got years out of it as well.When Windows 8 comes out it will probably be around $95 or so (maybe less if they do another pre-pay). Why wouldn't I upgrade to Windows 8 and buy MS Flight. That is just the next generation of this hobby. Windows 7 or 8 is my secondary consideration as I will use whatever works best for FSX and upcoming MS Flight.Hardware is my biggest expense, Windows 7 or 8 is hardly an expense at all by comparison. I'll just use the one that will work best with MS Flight and have FSX for the occasional flight.I don't think anyone on here can argue that MS Flight will be optimized for Windows 7 as it will be optimized for the latest O/S that MS has to offer. What features Windows 8 or MS Flight will have are still not released yet. I look forward to their upcoming press releases.Cheers

Matthew Kane

Bottom line. YOU WILL GET USED TO IT!!Funny thing, ..by your own confession none of you who've posted comments to me know anything about the next OS from MS.Except of course what they've shown in the demo. And here you are trying to convince others how they will receive it. Fascinating. I do know I don't want a ui as shown in the video posted.And since none of you have ever seen my setup or how and what I use my pc for, keep your opinions as to what I will need, want like or otherwise to yourselves.Maybe OS'S should be added as a religious belief.I don't think I'll have someone tell me what's best for me in that realm . Thank you and goodbye
Sorry you are so touchy. No one here is picking on you. So you don't like what you see so far in W8. That's fine. Why is is OK for you to comment on what someone else says, but not OK for for someone to comment on what you say?EdIndeed the technology has been around for a long time. I can spread two fingers on the touch-pad of my laptop and zoom in and out. My droid has multi-touch. I almost never have to type anything if I don't want to. I can open apps, text, email, give locations for GPS, all by voice. What I really want is the UI Tony Stark has in Iron Man.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

You see, the only problem that I have with the touch interface is typing with it. It forces you to hunt and peck, taking three times as long to type in anything.

All you see are the words that I type, what you make of them are formed out an ignorance of not knowing anything about me really.Now,going back to the thread topic "What do you make of Win 8".I simply stated what I thought about it. Thats all, and from that I've been told I can't be impressed or not impressed , that I'll get used to it, the presumtion I don't have a smart phone - or know anything about them, that I'm touchy or that I've stated others can't express their view points about Win 8None of which is true btw or germaine to what you think about Win 8.The question was, what do You make of Win 8. Not what do you think you think you know about those who dislike it.So, :( can you leave it at that? Or do you have some other non sequiter or ad hominem you wish to add.

All you see are the words that I type, what you make of them are formed out an ignorance of not knowing anything about me really.Now,going back to the thread topic "What do you make of Win 8".I simply stated what I thought about it. Thats all, and from that I've been told I can't be impressed or not impressed , that I'll get used to it, the presumtion I don't have a smart phone - or know anything about them, that I'm touchy or that I've stated others can't express their view points about Win 8None of which is true btw or germaine to what you think about Win 8.The question was, what do You make of Win 8. Not what do you think you think you know about those who dislike it.So, :( can you leave it at that? Or do you have some other non sequiter or ad hominem you wish to add.
Please forgive me. I did not mean to offend you. You are correct. The question is "What do you make of W8?". Which is a wide open question, and on some level begs the question "Why does one think that way?". You made a blunt statement with no explanation. While I don't care if you like W8 or not, I was curious as to why you felt that way. Asking "why" is how I learn things. Maybe I didn't go about it the best way. I am sorry.Again, you are correct. I know nothing about you. I-Pads are flying off the shelves. I'm not interested in anything from Apple, but MS needs to come up with some answer. If you don't like that kind of UI, that's fine. I was just trying to figure out if you had any experience with it. I wasn't accusing you of a crime.I do know this; folks commented on your statement and you said they were of no consequence,ignorant,and fallatious(your terms were"non sequiter or ad hominem"). Pretty strong words. No one said anything like that about you. After all, you know nothing about them, either. Consider makeing comments like that after you know them better.Bob

Bob

you said they were of no consequence,ignorant,and fallatiousBob
Well I figured you'd end up turning your apology into another polemic retort.As I read your soliloquy I knew it was coming. A ruse to put words in my mouth.I didn't imply that any of the members who replied to my opinion are ignorant Bob. What I said was they are ignorant of me and my needs from an OS. In fairness I'm ignorant of their specific needs as well, that's why you didn't see me making suggestions to them as to what they should or shouldn't think of Win 8. Bob. Nor did I say they were of no consequence.I questioned the meaning of one persons relationship in my life when it comes to suggestingwhat I can, should or shouldn't think about Win 8 as seen in the demo posted in this thread.Clear enough? ......... funny how you end up putting your foot in your own mouth when you attempt to put words into anothers, so I hardly think your in any position to lecture me.Now how about moving on to someone else and question their opinion on Win 8.

Guest jahman
You get too worked-up about non-issues. If you really want to know whether or not W8 is useful to you, go and research what improvements W8 brings to the table beyond just the GUI (as I said in my previous post).Cheers,- jahman.

Nor did I say they were of no consequence.
"Who the are you anyway. Certainly no one of any consequence to me." Post #23.Bob

Bob

Honestly.....I think the ones who are looking forward to Windows 8 are most likely the ones who really liked Star Trek, The Next Generation. Reason Why, That series introduced the concept of Multiple Moniters and Touchscreens.Anyone against Windows 8......Well what can I say, You are defending the QWERTY keyboard and Mouse. Let me remind you that the QWERTY Keyboard was invented in the 1800's and was designed to slow down typing speeds so that typewriters would not jam up. Keep defending an 1800's concept.....be all means :( I really like the concept of a large view screen and multiple touchscreens. If anyone wants to debate me in that concept then just remember that QWERTY was invented in the 1800's and should have been dead a long time ago....RSTLNE are the most common used letters and not convienently placed in the QWERTY setup as QWERTY was designed to SLOW YOU DOWN....Cheers

Matthew Kane

But QWERTY inefficiency and the desirability, or otherwise, of touch screens are two entirely separate issues. If you want to type on a touchscreen, you'll still need some sort of keyboard layout, so which is it to be? Alternative, more 'efficient' keyboard layouts have been around for years but have never really caught on, because people get used to QWERTY and if you're used to it then it's fast enough to do the job. Of course if speech-to-text ever gets good enough then all bets are off, but I reckon it'll always get confused with (e.g.) 'caught', 'cot', 'court' & similar in American v. British english."..RSTLNE are the most common used letters..", in which language?

"..RSTLNE are the most common used letters..", in which language?
RSTLNE are the most common letters in the English Language and if you have not noticed....In the show 'Wheel Of Fortune' those are the letters that win more often then not. Those letters solve the puzzles more often then not.....I have never watched wheel of fortune (we don't get that show in New Zealand) but at least I recognize those odds in winning the prize.RSTLNE are not placed well on the QWERTY keyboard for a reason, to slow down typing on old school typewriters....there is even a semicolon key (;) placed in home row for a reason above the period.....TO SLOW YOU DOWN.....When do you ever use a semicolon key??? NEVER, this is why QWERTY is obsoleteAll you are doing is defending 1800's technology....CONTINUE if you wish....LOLCHEERS

Matthew Kane

"Who the are you anyway. Certainly no one of any consequence to me." Post #23.Bobt
Since you seem to be ill equipped in reading comprehension I'll do my best to help you understand my meaning.Who are you anyway.. that's a question.Certainly of no consequence to me. ... that is a fact. Bob I've suggested twice before you move back to the topic of the thread.Do that.JahmanMind your own business.When people put words in my it is an issue with me.Maybe not to you, although I'm sure you'd be singing a different tune if the shoe was on your foot.Now for the third time, kindly direct your comments to the topic of the thread.What do you think about win8Good day.

Since you seem to be ill equipped in reading comprehension I'll do my best to help you understand my meaning.Who are you anyway.. that's a question.Certainly of no consequence to me. ... that is a fact. Bob I've suggested twice before you move back to the topic of the thread.Do that.JahmanMind your own business.When people put words in my it is an issue with me.Maybe not to you, although I'm sure you'd be singing a different tune if the shoe was on your foot.Now for the third time, kindly direct your comments to the topic of the thread.What do you think about win8Good day.
OK. You win.It seems to me that English is not your first langusge. Otherwise you would not phrase things the way you do. Bob

Bob