Sign in to follow this  
Tomaz Drnovsek

Smoke color

Is it possible to change smoke color in aerobatic airplanes? For example in Extra or F18? I know it's not simple if possible at all but I don't care about it being simple. Maybe a few pointers would be cool too.. is smoke a texture or something else? Is it model specific or what? Is it possible to record flying formation with FSRecorder and use different colored smoke with each airplane?

Is it possible to change smoke color in aerobatic airplanes? For example in Extra or F18? I know it's not simple if possible at all but I don't care about it being simple. Maybe a few pointers would be cool too.. is smoke a texture or something else? Is it model specific or what? Is it possible to record flying formation with FSRecorder and use different colored smoke with each airplane?
I've not done it but it certainly should be possible.If memory serves there is usually a [smokesystem] label in the aircraft.cfg file which "calls" an effect file. Yes, I just checked the EXTRA aircraft and see this:[sMOKESYSTEM]smoke.0=-10.00, -0.70, 0.0, fx_smoke_wIn this case it is calling the effect named fx_smoke_w.fxA quick search in the library also turned up this package which apparently allows you to quickly change the smoke color via a guage on the panel.http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxgau&DLID=132163Might be worth investigating it.I would think you could use FSRecorder in the manner you suggest.Let us know how this works out.

Thank you, I'll check that out! From [sMOKESYSTEM] code it appears you can change position and select fx file but not color which is actually the thing I want to change. I guess it all comes down to fx_smoke file since this gauge uses three different files for three different colors.N00b question.. what program is used to edit .fx files?

Thank you, I'll check that out! From [sMOKESYSTEM] code it appears you can change position and select fx file but not color which is actually the thing I want to change. I guess it all comes down to fx_smoke file since this gauge uses three different files for three different colors.N00b question.. what program is used to edit .fx files?
Notepad. Edit Added:As far as I know FS2004 "effect" files also work in FSX - so try a search in the library under FS2004 for additional colored smoke effects. If memory serves there are several available.It should just be a matter of placing those additional colored smoke effect files in your FSX effects file and "calling" whatever one you wish to use in the aircraft.cfg file.

It works!I first changed the parameters in fx_smoke_w.fx for "Color start" and "Color end" from white to red and saved it as fx_smoke_red.fx. Than I changed the file name in aircraft.cfg [sMOKESYSTEM] section from "smoke.0=-10.00, -0.70, 0.0, fx_smoke_w" to "smoke.0=-10.00, -0.70, 0.0, fx_smoke_red" and viola.. red smoke! But...I than recorded a flight with FSRecorder and first it displayed red smoke but than when I changed fx_smoke_red back to fx_smoke_w in [sMOKESYSTEM], FSRecorder playback played white smoke. But..I tried this Colored Smoke System gauge and it works! Even with FSRecorder. The different color smoke with the same airplane model using FSRecorder works like a charm. Thank you for your help!

Recorder displays the recorded tracks with a specific aircraft - as they exist at the time of playing the recording. You would need to record with differently named aircraft, identical except for the smoke color, in order to display different smoke colors at the same time. The .fx, .ini, .cfg, and many .dat files are just text files as Opa mentioned. There is also an Effects editor included in the SDK that facilitates adjustments in effects files.Loyd

Yes but I'd like to fly a formation with the same model of airplane and have different color smoke. In this case I'd have to duplicate this airplane as many times as a formation would have members but this would be the last resort (or not even an option). This Colored Smoke System gauge is working as advertised but.....it doesn't work with Lotus Simulations L-39C Albatros :( The 2d popup simply doesn't want to pop up so there is no option to turn on the smoke.With every other airplane I tried it it works of course but in those I'm not interested. I wanted this for Albatros all along.

Yes but I'd like to fly a formation with the same model of airplane and have different color smoke. In this case I'd have to duplicate this airplane as many times as a formation would have members but this would be the last resort (or not even an option). This Colored Smoke System gauge is working as advertised but.....it doesn't work with Lotus Simulations L-39C Albatros :( The 2d popup simply doesn't want to pop up so there is no option to turn on the smoke.With every other airplane I tried it it works of course but in those I'm not interested. I wanted this for Albatros all along.
I don't have that aircraft so cannot try to duplicate the problem but am curious...........Are you saying that you cannot get it to display even when using the Views/Instrument Panel menu (from the Menu bar at the top of your screen) ?

Are you saying that you cannot get it to display even when using the Views/Instrument Panel menu (from the Menu bar at the top of your screen) ?
Yes. Through the menu or using shift+nr combination. Nothing happens. Other 2d panels work ok, but this gauge doesn't pop up. I installed this gauge to Extra, F18 and Pitts Special - S-2B without a problem. It's strange.

Yes. Through the menu or using shift+nr combination. Nothing happens. Other 2d panels work ok, but this gauge doesn't pop up. I installed this gauge to Extra, F18 and Pitts Special - S-2B without a problem. It's strange.
Strange indeed.The last time that sort of thing happen to me I finally discovered a typo in the [windowXX] label - it was missing one of the brackets and had not noticed it was missing. Sloppy cutting and pasting on my part.Hope you get it sorted out.

The last time that sort of thing happen to me I finally discovered a typo in the [windowXX] label - it was missing one of the brackets and had not noticed it was missing. Sloppy cutting and pasting on my part.
I'll check it out this evening... everything is possible.My intention is to fly a formation of 4 or 6 with L-39C (so I fly all the airplanes and record with FSRecorder) and for the finale to release smoke in specific color combination. From that I'll make a video (don't worry, I don't make videos like high production plant.. I just made 3 so far, you can check them out if you have a minute or two to spare... here). I hope it's in fact a typo.

Silly me, I forgot to copy the "Smoke" folder into Panel folder. :( It works with Albatros also.
That is good news - I had afeeling it was something "simple". :( Good Luck with your formation flying!