Sign in to follow this  
dave1812

Had/returned an HP DV6 with ) i7-2720QM (2.2 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) w/Turbo Boost up to 3.3 GHz

because Switchable Graphics recently became broken with the release of newer drivers from HP/ATI and there is no "going back. The problem has been going on for several weeks with no fix in sight, so while I loved the performance of my FIRST DV6 with FSX, the second one wouldn't switch to the Radeon card and HP has no fix. the first DV6 ran FSX fantastically well--no micro stutters and I had very good frame rates. Due to defects in both laptops I returned them for refunds.I am in desperate need of a new PC, so my question is this: will a desktop PC with a Intel® Core i7-960 quad-core [3.2GHz, 1MB L2 + 8MB shared L3 cache]and a 1GB DDR5 Radeon HD 6850 [2 DVI, 2 mini-DP, HDMI. VGA adapter] run FSX AT LEAST as well as the laptop with the i7-2720QM and Radeon HD6770m? I don't want any microstutters! :) By setting the first DV6's FSX config file to InfinityMask=12, I had very fluid motion. I want that same experience in a replacement PC.TIA!

HP had no fix? What did they do/have you do? Win 7 keeps backups of drivers so the first thing to try would've been a roll back. Failing that, you could try a force uninstall and reinstall of the old driver. If even that didn't work, restoring the system(s) to factory default would *definitely* solve the issue, you just would need to disable automatic updates to prevent it from downloading an update that would cause the problem. All that being said, HP makes the worst laptops on the planet so you made the right choice returning them Big%20Grin.gifIn answer to your question, a desktop with the aforementioned specifications would certainly deliver a comparable (or even superior) FSX experience.

because Switchable Graphics recently became broken with the release of newer drivers from HP/ATI and there is no "going back. The problem has been going on for several weeks with no fix in sight, so while I loved the performance of my FIRST DV6 with FSX, the second one wouldn't switch to the Radeon card and HP has no fix. the first DV6 ran FSX fantastically well--no micro stutters and I had very good frame rates. Due to defects in both laptops I returned them for refunds.I am in desperate need of a new PC, so my question is this: will a desktop PC with a Intel® Core i7-960 quad-core [3.2GHz, 1MB L2 + 8MB shared L3 cache]and a 1GB DDR5 Radeon HD 6850 [2 DVI, 2 mini-DP, HDMI. VGA adapter] run FSX AT LEAST as well as the laptop with the i7-2720QM and Radeon HD6770m? I don't want any microstutters! :) By setting the first DV6's FSX config file to InfinityMask=12, I had very fluid motion. I want that same experience in a replacement PC.TIA!
HP have disk recovery. Can reinstall to factory default easily.Performance: Same and even better experience.

HelloIt will run it better at stock speeds , much better with the CPU overclocked which will be simple as long as you do not buy some proprietary machine with a locked bios.Laptops in general are slower than their desktop counterparts as the need to take heat into the equation and are a poor choice for FSX.Better results would be had with an Nvidia card especially flying in clouds.Keep the laptop as well and use it to run your Moving map and ASE and anything else that can save cpu cycles from your main FSX PC over the network

HP had no fix? What did they do/have you do? Win 7 keeps backups of drivers so the first thing to try would've been a roll back. Failing that, you could try a force uninstall and reinstall of the old driver. If even that didn't work, restoring the system(s) to factory default would *definitely* solve the issue, you just would need to disable automatic updates to prevent it from downloading an update that would cause the problem. All that being said, HP makes the worst laptops on the planet so you made the right choice returning them Big%20Grin.gifIn answer to your question, a desktop with the aforementioned specifications would certainly deliver a comparable (or even superior) FSX experience.
No, HP has had no fix to date. Several forums discussing the issue are filling up more each day with complaints that the Radeon GPU doesn't kick in. This all began a few weeks ago, as people such as myself began taking delivery of the most recent version of the DV6/DV7 laptops (I heard it's also an issue on the Envy).

No, HP has had no fix to date. Several forums discussing the issue are filling up more each day with complaints that the Radeon GPU doesn't kick in. This all began a few weeks ago, as people such as myself began taking delivery of the most recent version of the DV6/DV7 laptops (I heard it's also an issue on the Envy).
If you return to the factory default state the problem *will* be fixed, *unless* it is being broken by automatic updates which are being installed shortly after the restore procedure, in which case you could simply disable the automatic updates feature until the offending update can be isolated and excluded from the list of updates to apply. HP not having a fix doesn't mean there isn't a fix LOL.gif

I amt thinking of getting this exact laptop like tomorrow! What is the problem exactly? if i get this laptop i wont be able to run FSX?!

Read my posts. HP's tech support (and virtually all phone tech support) is completely inept.

Today I'll be receiving a Sager 8130 laptop (same processor and memory as the DV6 I had, but comes with an Nvidia GTX 560m) from XoticPC. Wish me luck that it runs FSX even better than the first DV6 that I got from HP. FSX will be the first thing I load up on the Sager. It cost a lot more than the HP, but if it works well, I'll be a happy camper. Fingers crossed... oh, I went through my posting history here and copy/pasted all of the helpful hints you guys gave me a couple months ago, so I can apply them to the new installation. Just want to say thanks again to everyone that helped me!

Today I'll be receiving a Sager 8130 laptop (same processor and memory as the DV6 I had, but comes with an Nvidia GTX 560m) from XoticPC. Wish me luck that it runs FSX even better than the first DV6 that I got from HP. FSX will be the first thing I load up on the Sager. It cost a lot more than the HP, but if it works well, I'll be a happy camper. Fingers crossed... oh, I went through my posting history here and copy/pasted all of the helpful hints you guys gave me a couple months ago, so I can apply them to the new installation. Just want to say thanks again to everyone that helped me!
My new Sager runs FSX really well! :) (it has an Nvidia GTX 560m video card which I OC a bit)