Sign in to follow this  
ericd19320

no more ctd

Only posting this because it worked for me on my system may not be the solution for anyone else but it could be worth a try and easy to do. I changed my mem setting from unganged to ganged in the bios. Not 1 ctd since I did this.

Guest firehawk44
Only posting this because it worked for me on my system may not be the solution for anyone else but it could be worth a try and easy to do. I changed my mem setting from unganged to ganged in the bios. Not 1 ctd since I did this.
Thanks for posting this. Yes, it just shows again, many FSX CTD's are caused by having the wrong settings for your memory or memory timing/voltage settings are wrong. Memory related crashes are very hard to detect. More on ganged vs unganged - http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1393322 .Best regards,Jim

UPdate...it's been over a week now still no ctd!!! Knock on wood but I feel my issues have been solved

Yea I tried changing mine after reading this. Ganged works great here. New box so lots of new things to fine tune again after 5 years.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Thanks for posting this. Yes, it just shows again, many FSX CTD's are caused by having the wrong settings for your memory or memory timing/voltage settings are wrong. Memory related crashes are very hard to detect. More on ganged vs unganged - http://hardforum.com...d.php?t=1393322 .Best regards,Jim
Hey Jim. I`ve been scrolling through the link for a while, checked my own BIOS in relation to this unganged/ganged setting, had no luck finding it in BIOS advanced mode. Does it have a different name in there?

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

Ive got an Asus p8z68-v. Manual does not give me anything on ganged/unganged, nor does asus.com provide any info on the subject. I cant find anywhere in BIOS that is related to this, and im somewhat confused as to howone can find this setting at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

Guest firehawk44
Ive got an Asus p8z68-v. Manual does not give me anything on ganged/unganged, nor does asus.com provide any info on the subject. I cant find anywhere in BIOS that is related to this, and im somewhat confused as to howone can find this setting at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Ganged equal Auto frequency mode. Unganged equal the actual frequency setting. Evidently ASUS boards automatically set voltage settings for memory at 1.65 when the memory is only rated for 1.50. So, when you have it set at auto, the memory will still work at the higher voltage for a while but will probably create a crash eventually. That's why you can run memory diagnostics/Prime 95 etc., etc., as long as you want and you will get a report that there's nothing wrong with your system memory. Setting your frequency to 1600 or 1333 (or whatever it's rated) and voltage no higher than 1.5 will give you more stability. Look in the CPU-Z program to see what frequency and voltages are allowed for your memory. There may or may not be anything in the ASUS manuals about this. I don't read manuals much. I just Google and I did find a couple of articles on Tom's Hardware forums about this. I Googled 'asus manual does not give me anything on ganged/unganged'. There are many, many more articles relating to this subject via a google search if you want more info on this subject. A lot of people had the same question you had and/or are just as confused.Best regards,Jim

Thank you Jim. I really appreciate the help.. As you probably know, moving from a very good FS9 system to a brand new PC with old FSX, makes it really irritating when i spend most my time battling theese,, errr.. CTD`s and what not.

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

Guest firehawk44
Thank you Jim. I really appreciate the help.. As you probably know, moving from a very good FS9 system to a brand new PC with old FSX, makes it really irritating when i spend most my time battling theese,, errr.. CTD`s and what not.
Not to worry Yngve (I suspect you do not pronounce the 'Y' in your name?). I've gone through similar problems with new technology, news systems, etc. I'm glad to help wherever I can and I know others who might be as knowledgeable are willing to help too. Just remember: Google.com is your friend (well, the Bing search engine too over at bing.com). Ask it anything, even type in a couple of sentences to explain the problem and you'll most likely get excellent results to resolve your problem. Once you find a possible solution, you can even have it translated to any language so that you might understand it better.Best regards,Jim

Should I then set my DRAM voltage to say 1.5 instead of auto? I think you guys are on to somthing here. Does this have any thing to do with the apphangB1 error? Just trying out new things .

Edited by cobrakev1526

Guest firehawk44
Should I then set my DRAM voltage to say 1.5 instead of auto? I think you guys are on to somthing here. Does this have any thing to do with the apphangB1 error? Just trying out new things .
Yes. Set your voltage to whatever CPU-Z tells you under the SPD tab. It will provide you with 4 columns of timing tables with the voltage for each frequency. Pretty simple. I have my BIOS set to X.M.P. so I set my voltage to 1.65000. The other timings/frequencies I could use show that 1.50000 should be set. I'm not sure whether bad timings/frequencies/voltages will cause an application to hang but I would make that my first suspect. ASUS is not very good at automatically setting memory timings. I suspect other MB manufacturers have the same problem. Therefore it is best you set your own settings based on what CPU-Z provides.Best regards,Jim

Ok when I get home next Friday I'll see what CPU- z shows and try to figure somthing out. I just don't understand RAM very well yet. I've set it to just under 1.65 volts it's more like 1.64367 in bios the next setting was over 1.65. I don't remember exactly what its set to because I'm back on the road and away from the computer. Can you explain in more detail about the memory timings and speed and voltage settings. I do remember seeing 1.5 and 1.65 displayed on CPU-z, but do I have to set the DRAM to 1.65 and somewhere set it to 1.5? I guess I don't understand everything about RAM yet. However I have notice since I've set the DRAM to 1.64 FSX has not yet crashed or even crashed on exit with CTL+ E.Ps I using my IPad for these messages

Edited by cobrakev1526

Guest firehawk44
I just don't understand RAM very well yet.
Join the crowd. It is confusing sometimes and it took me a long time to fix my system. 1.65 sounds too high to me. Most settings are at 1.5 unless you are using the X.M.P. profile setting. That's what I'm using now. I did have my manual settings set to 1.65 when they should have been 1.5 and had no problems for a while but suddenly saw crashes. So I changed to X.M.P. and now I'm very stable.Best regards,Jim