Sign in to follow this  
niyoko

Will lighting improve?

I was doing a nighttime landing into ORBX's superb YMML Melbourne Intl. Airport in FSX, and I was very pleased with the textures, models and ligthing. The one thing that stood out in the brightly lit terminal area was the all the dark aircraft, including mine. All the aircraft look like they were sitting in a dark unlit field. It just really was a stark realization that this is just a sim. I would love to see some lighting on aircraft as they sit or approach the terminal flood lights. I hope this is something that is really improved in MS Flight. Do we have any hint at the lighting in the game using real-time rendered 3d lights or are we going back to light textures on aircraft?

I was doing a nighttime landing into ORBX's superb YMML Melbourne Intl. Airport in FSX, and I was very pleased with the textures, models and ligthing. The one thing that stood out in the brightly lit terminal area was the all the dark aircraft, including mine. All the aircraft look like they were sitting in a dark unlit field. It just really was a stark realization that this is just a sim. I would love to see some lighting on aircraft as they sit or approach the terminal flood lights. I hope this is something that is really improved in MS Flight. Do we have any hint at the lighting in the game using real-time rendered 3d lights or are we going back to light textures on aircraft?
yes i completely agree the lighting in the airports in fsx is awful doesnt look real at all they need to add lights on the terminals where the aircraft park hopefully this will be done in flight

Alexander Shepherd

HI Niyko We really dont know yet, I too hope that they do consider this and upgrade the lighting system and not go back too with just the textures. funny thing is that x-plane is working with global lighting lets hope the ms flight team is looking at its competition. Im assumming the msflight team wants do that with the video card shaders etc etc but there budget and time will tell. http://www.x-plane.c...is-it-good-for/

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

I must say, MS Flight better have it together, X-Plane 10 is REALLY coming together nicely.

Guest ShinyJetSyndrome
I must say, MS Flight better have it together, X-Plane 10 is REALLY coming together nicely.
I agree. As a MSFS fan since version 5.1, I have to say I'm more excited about XP10 than Flight.Speaking of the lighting engine, we already know from the promo videos that Flight will have mountains casting shadows on aircraft.

This global lighting really looks good, it even casts shadows :(

I agree. As a MSFS fan since version 5.1, I have to say I'm more excited about XP10 than Flight.
I like some of the features and looks of XP10, but I dont like the way you have limited AI and the fact that PMDG or LDS dont make anything for it, as well as the limited amount of addon airports/scenery available for it.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest ShinyJetSyndrome
I like some of the features and looks of XP10, but I dont like the way you have limited AI and the fact that PMDG or LDS dont make anything for it, as well as the limited amount of addon airports/scenery available for it.
I fly online so I don't care much about AI. The only advantage over XPlane that MSFS has is the variety in voices but in practice FSX's ATC is rather poor at separating traffic if its anything more than the default airlines. I wouldn't discount X-Plane 10's AI traffic so quickly. Take a look at what the developers have shown on their website. Their AI uses a physics engine that allows them to react with the environment. Makes for more fluid action as well the ability to populate airports with sloped runways/taxiways. (However, the CPU load using this method could add up fast.)I would say XPlane's default scenery is a step up from FSX's default scenery. For one thing taxiway markings are much easier to customize. In FSX it takes either a placing a ridiculous amount of nodes that will usually confuse AI traffic or creating ground polys for accurate markings. Also, XPlane by default has 3D taxiway lighting that are part of the airport infrastructure by default. In FSX that would mean hours of work.Your point about PMDG and LDS is well taken but I can say the same thing about the JRollon Project CRJ-200 for X-Plane. My budget for add-ons is limited anyways.With all that being said I'll have to wait and see what Flight brings to the table.

I fly online so I don't care much about AI. The only advantage over XPlane that MSFS has is the variety in voices but in practice FSX's ATC is rather poor at separating traffic if its anything more than the default airlines. I wouldn't discount X-Plane 10's AI traffic so quickly. Take a look at what the developers have shown on their website. Their AI uses a physics engine that allows them to react with the environment. Makes for more fluid action as well the ability to populate airports with sloped runways/taxiways. (However, the CPU load using this method could add up fast.)I would say XPlane's default scenery is a step up from FSX's default scenery. For one thing taxiway markings are much easier to customize. In FSX it takes either a placing a ridiculous amount of nodes that will usually confuse AI traffic or creating ground polys for accurate markings. Also, XPlane by default has 3D taxiway lighting that are part of the airport infrastructure by default. In FSX that would mean hours of work.Your point about PMDG and LDS is well taken but I can say the same thing about the JRollon Project CRJ-200 for X-Plane. My budget for add-ons is limited anyways.With all that being said I'll have to wait and see what Flight brings to the table.
i dont see what you see in xplane

HI Niyko We really dont know yet, I too hope that they do consider this and upgrade the lighting system and not go back too with just the textures. funny thing is that x-plane is working with global lighting lets hope the ms flight team is looking at its competition. Im assumming the msflight team wants do that with the video card shaders etc etc but there budget and time will tell. http://www.x-plane.c...is-it-good-for/
Hi Silverbird,It was that exactly link and news about x-plane that sparked this post. I have no interest in x-plane at all, but I was definitely impressed with the real-time lighting they are showing off. After X-plane showing this feature off, it would be nice to see the MS Flight team show off Flight's lighting...it would be really nice. :(

I would be very surprised if lighting didn't improve. FSX's lighting dates back to 2006 of course, and even then it was arguably a couple of years behind the games released at that time due to the added complexity of a flight sim. While I don't expect the lighting to look like a brand new game, if they can give it, say, 2007-2008 game lighting, it will be dramatically improved.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.