Sign in to follow this  
anthony31

Brisbane airport freeware scenery available now

Thanks Sean! The only time I have questions about such is when I install "OZx" materials. I'm so easily con-flustered.
No problem. Yeah it's easy to get confused with when to set the control panel to Default or PNW/AU. Typically anything made by them whether its scenery or updates they want the control panel to be set to AU or PNW when you install it, however there have been instances where one of their updates actually called for the control panel to be set to Default prior to install. Now anytime I install anything by them I read the install notes 2 times to be sure.If I recall correctly on the OZx stuff I set the control panel to Default, then turn it back to AU/PNW when I am done. However you have to set the insertion points for OZx in the ORBX control panel otherwise it wont show up.Plus its not a bad idea to use a duplicate ADE/AFCAD scanner like the free one from Scruffyduck to turn off the duplicate ADE and .cvx files that are created after installing OZx. The first time I installed OZx NA and went for a fly I got a crash that I suspect was due to all the duplicate ADE files that I had. In addition since I own KORS, I had an ADE file for another airport on the island that came with the KORS package, plus the ADE file for the same airport that came with the PNW, plus a third ADE file for the same airport that came with OZx NA. Essentially 3 ADE files for one airport on Orcas Island. Once I turned off the lower priority ADE files I haven't had a crash in the PNW since.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Plus its not a bad idea to use a duplicate ADE/AFCAD scanner like the free one from Scruffyduck to turn off the duplicate ADE and .cvx files that are created after installing OZx. The first time I installed OZx NA and went for a fly I got a crash that I suspect was due to all the duplicate ADE files that I had. In addition since I own KORS, I had an ADE file for another airport on the island that came with the KORS package, plus the ADE file for the same airport that came with the PNW, plus a third ADE file for the same airport that came with OZx NA. Essentially 3 ADE files for one airport on Orcas Island. Once I turned off the lower priority ADE files I haven't had a crash in the PNW since.
Yep, great advice! I have Airport Scanner and use it... but every so often I forget to... and that's when I get weird taxi instructions from VoxATC... or FS Captain wants me to park in a place that's now behind a stream. :(

Great job, Anthony!I truly appreciate your hard work. The airport and surrounding area looks and runs fantastically.I did notice a couple of bugs, though, that you may want to address in any possible future patch: (I included the airport so that you could get a bearing on the locations of the bugs.)Thanks again!bug2ve.jpgbug1dt.jpg

Alexander Alonso

Hi FenricIt's always better to be safe than sorry (I once had to reinstall all my ORBX region packs but forgot to turn off the Control panel between each region pack which rightly stuffed up my FSX system, not a happy camper). But in the case of my Brisbane you can freely install it while ORBX AU is active (I make no changes to any default files or anything of ORBX). But on the other hand, I can't argue with cmpbellsjc's advice to turn off ORBX whenever you install anything new. Good advice and reduces the risk of a messed up FSX system.Now, as for YSSY, YMML, YPAD, YPTH etc... As the old saying goes, many hands make light work :)Hi FlyandFightLooks like you don't have ORBX so I guess the boat and dock are default FSX items. Didn't do much testing on default FSX. If you have ADE you should be able to load the airport file (which includes all the excludes) and add a couple of little exclude library objects boxes over the boat and dock.

www.antsairplanes.com

Anthony,Many thanks for the work you've put into this and your other sceneries! The install went smooth as silk and I just made a little shuffle flight down from YCDR and had my first non-CTD landing at YBBN in well over 6 months. Not only that, but my FPS counter stayed in the crooked number range on final, hitting well into the 30s at the gate - all surrounded by Virgin Blues and Jet2s.:(

Now, as for YSSY, YMML, YPAD, YPTH etc... As the old saying goes, many hands make light work :)
I take it that is not a "No"! Big%20Grin.gif If my hands could assist, I would help.Any hints about which could be next?Once again, thanks so much for your work.Regards,Justin

Performance is excellent. It's in a different league performance wise to the Orbx version.Visually, as you can see from the pics, it is very good too.If you struggle with Orbx YBBN, in my opinion using Ant's version is a no brainer.Regards,Justin

Anyone tried this yet? How is the performance.
I take it you didn't read mine and Fenric's remarks?It runs great!!! Much better than the ORBX version while not sacraficing a lot of detail.
Now, as for YSSY, YMML, YPAD, YPTH etc... As the old saying goes, many hands make light work :)
I admit I wasn't familiar with that saying so I had to look it up to be sure I understood what I though it meant, but I take that as meaning that you are planning on doing it with the help of others?I have all your other AU aiports and will surely use YMML and YSSY if you make them.For me personally, I prefer a slightly less detailed airport like the YBBN that you did but is completely usable and doesn't kill FPS like the ORBX versions do. I appreciate all the work they put into YBBN and YMML, but if its not very usable without turning all the features off to get good performance then it's not really of any use to me. I dont mind some repeating textures if it means 30 FPS compared to 15 FPS.Thanks for all the hard work!

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

For me personally, I prefer a slightly less detailed airport like the YBBN that you did but is completely usable and doesn't kill FPS like the ORBX versions do. I appreciate all the work they put into YBBN and YMML, but if its not very usable without turning all the features off to get good performance then it's not really of any use to me. I dont mind some repeating textures if it means 30 FPS compared to 15 FPS.
Make that two of us!It's refreshing to see a developer who prioritises maximum FPS, while at the same time making a very good looking airport. And it's free!!!!!I can't wait to see what else Ant comes up with.Regards,Justin

Thank you, Anthony. Very nice airport, visually and performance-vise.

Tested this out today, and the airport works great! It looks as good as the OrbX scenery but it for a change doesn't end up in a slideshow. I think I'll do some flights soon!

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Finally had a chance to look at the pics FlyandFight posted with the boat and dock.I realise now that a patch for users with default scenery (ie not ORBX Australia) is needed as the version I made removes a bit of the river in the default scenery (although it works fine with ORBX Australia). I repeat, this patch is only for users with default scenery. It just replaces the CVX file with a new one which should fix the problem with part of the river being excluded. I guess it didn't get picked up in testing as most testers would have had ORBX Australia installed.Download the patch from here : http://antsairplanes...neV101Patch.exe@cmpbellsjc : I was just trying to, in my own way, enourage others to take up scenery design. There are plenty of airports still to be done and there is only so much that a small handful of people can do. There are no real skills needed to be a scenery designer, just a lot of patience and heaps of spare time.I have no plans at the moment to do much more scenery (certainly not projects as large as YSSY, YPAD etc)

www.antsairplanes.com