Sign in to follow this  
nicholas49

Which product to buy?

HelloFirst post here.I want to buy a PMDG B737 product to use in MSF2004. Ideally, I want to fly the 737-800. However, I can see that in order for this product to work, I must first purchase and install the B737-600/700 product. I also see that the 737 NGX is to be 'released soon'. My question is: should I wait for the latter to be released (this will be cheaper) or should I buy the first two products? Does anyone know how long before the 737 NGX is released?ThanksNick

G'Day Nick.The version currently for sale on the site is for FS2004 only. The version in the works is for FSX only. There is no release date as of yet, we are all hoping the wait wont be much longer.

Cheers,
Ryan

Professional Coffee Drinker/BAe146 Driver
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer

Hi NickYou don't need the 600/700 if you want to own only the 800/900. I own the 800/900 and it is the only PMDG product I have installed. Well thats assuming there is nothing wrong with my set up of course but I don't as a rule usually have any issues having just the 800/900 installed.I am waiting for the NGX although I am still with FS9. I like so many other simmers have huge amounts of software and hardware installed and would take serious amounts of my time to re-install so I'm going to wait and see what it's like first.The PMDG 737NG series is a nice piece of software and wouldn't change just for the sake of change. To summarise it's relatively inexpensive to buy and very quick to install so whatever decision you make you won't be disappointed. Just read the manual!!!RegardsAlan

Thanks for the replies.Alan - sorry for being a bit slow - can I clarify that buying this product will enable me to use the 737-800 in FS2004 (I do not use FSX - it was too slow)? This seems to contract what the PMDG site says here ("I understand that I must own the PMDG 737-600/700 Next Generation to use this product.")? You confused me in the last sentence of your reply because you start referring to the PMDG 737NG series. Is this in relation to FS2004 or FSX? As far as I am aware, the 737-800 is the 737 NG!Nick

Thanks for the replies.Alan - sorry for being a bit slow - can I clarify that buying this product will enable me to use the 737-800 in FS2004 (I do not use FSX - it was too slow)? This seems to contract what the PMDG site says here ("I understand that I must own the PMDG 737-600/700 Next Generation to use this product.")? You confused me in the last sentence of your reply because you start referring to the PMDG 737NG series. Is this in relation to FS2004 or FSX? As far as I am aware, the 737-800 is the 737 NG! Nick
If I remember correctly there is a CD version of the PMDG FS9 NG 800/900 that does not require the 600/700. I think Aerosoft use to carry it, try doing a search. As mentioned the PMDG FSX NGX has not been released and is actively being tested.Update: I just did a search and it doesn't look like its available any longer. Only the full PMDG FS9 NG 600-900 CD.

Aerosoft only stock the 600/700 on their CD page now, not the 800/900 as a seperate CD (€20). They do, however, stock the lot on one CD 600/700/800/900 for around €30 and I think that;s the one to go for unless you can Google another supplier.John Ellison

Hi NickWell I don't understand having to own the 600/700 in order to operate the 800/900. Well I say that, I think it was something to do with upgrading certain functions. I haven't even got the 600/700 on my PC.And it works!!I bought mine as a boxed version from PC World. With regard to the confusion I own only the PMDG 800/900 and use it with FS2004. Series essentially means the 600 onwards. They all have more or less the same flight deck!! It might be worth contacting PMDG directly and see what they say. But I definately do not have the 600/700 installed. Hope that helps.CheersAlan

Alan - thanks for your help. I bought the full PMDG FS9 NG 600-900 CD from Aerosoft. I've installed it but I seem to be having a few problems. When I try to load the 737-800 aircraft in 3D virtual cockpit mode, it crashes FS2004. I can load the aircraft in 2D virtual cockpit mode, but even then when I try to select another panel (e.g. overhead), it crashes FS2004. This problem does not seem apply to the 737-600. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a fix or might I have bought dodgy software? ThanksNick

You should be able to register the Aerosoft CD using the lower left hand FAQ link on the home page for your country. Once done you'll have access to the specific product FAQ and service packs.The order of of installation of the 600/700 model and then service pack, then 800/900 model and its service packs is critical.Make sure the installer did not overwrite a current version of FSUIPC with an older one not compatible with newer Windows versions. Here is another forum thread with the links:http://forum.avsim.net/topic/98375-current-release-of-fsuipc-and-makerwys-download-location/Ignore the references to makerwys unless you have an add-on that uses it.In FS9 you also might want to reverse your setting in the hardware display setting for render to texture but this might upset other graphics items like add-on cloud sets.Here's the aerosoft US site links to the three NG products:http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/us/iboshop.cgi?showd80!0,5850805800,11787 600/700/800/900 $36 UShttp://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/us/iboshop.cgi?showd80!0,5850805800,02005 600/700 $24 US stand-alone.http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/us/iboshop.cgi?showd80!0,5850805800,02210 800/900 $24 US stand-alone.Also, when I got the two stand-alone packages some years ago (there was no four pack at the time) the activation key was delivered with the CD and I assume that is still the case. This allows easy reinstall of each product. I also burnt all service packs to CD as well just in case.

The order of installation of the 600/700 model and then service pack, then 800/900 model and its service packs is critical.
Oh dear. I installed them the other way around. How should I correct this? Should I simply re-install them in the correct order? I see no option to un-install them. Thanks for the links to the updates - will check that out. I know this may be the wrong forum for this question, but I am having difficult operating the switches on the overhead panel. Left-clicking only opens the switch guard; it does not operate the switch. Consequently, I cannot follow the start-up procedures and start the damn engines! I did a search and it said right-clicking usually opens the guard. This is not the case for me. Any ideas? My other question is: are these the official PMDG tutorials that I have seen people write about? For the 737, I see a manual, not a tutorial. Is it the same thing? ThanksNick

You need a full uninstall of both followed by a reinstall. This is (unless changed) is because the 800/900 upgrades features of the 600/700. I believe there is an uninstall tool download available from the PMDG site:http://precisionmanuals.com/pages/downloads/misc.htmland that is the 737TNG removal tool. It probably works with the Aerosoft published versions.On the Aerosoft site you will find after registering your PMDG 737NG products an invaluable FAQ for each version so be sure to do that for installing the models and service packs in the correct order.Extra liveries are available (free) with automatic installers from the PMDG site. Manual install liveries are also scattered throughout the AVSIM library repaint site and flightsim.com FS9 Aircraft libraries as well.It looks like you have found the manuals in the PMDG\737TNG folder. For a tutorial the most recommended one by Timothy Metzinger has been pulled from most libraries because of copyright issues. There are others that you can locate in the library here by searching for PMDG tutorial. Be sure to check the dates to get the updated versions.If you are looking for mostly FMC operations and flight technique, not systems, I purchased the simulator version (not checkride version) of Captain (retired) Mike Ray's book available on Amazon or from him:http://www.utem.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4http://www.amazon.com/Flying-Boeing-700-Flight-Simulators/dp/0936283106/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1308514854&sr=1-8about $30 US.You can see preview pages. It helps get over the bumps and besides the FMC operation includes several types of flying tutorials including approaches. There are three levels. Manual flight, flight using the MPC controls, and FMC control, plus the various approaches, etc.While not into systems it will explain fuel planning via the FMC. I use one of his pages as a checklist.

Oh dear. I installed them the other way around. How should I correct this? Should I simply re-install them in the correct order? I see no option to un-install them. Thanks for the links to the updates - will check that out. -----------snip--------------- My other question is: are these the official PMDG tutorials that I have seen people write about? For the 737, I see a manual, not a tutorial. Is it the same thing? ThanksNick
One added caution:When installing liveries for the 600/700 in the FS9 aircraft folder for it you will find a batch file to run that reinstalls some model updates after the new livery is installed. If not, some virtual views may have 'holes' in them.