Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Question Please?

Indeed.MPH, the fact that EDMP is showing them as straight lines is simply as stated above. It's the 'Overview' option, NOT a show or display STAR option.
It was you who said they were STARs and asked if they were correct.
...Talking of which, if these STARS shown below are correct, what is the reason for overflying EGKK so far - will it be for noise abatement or the like?...
I answered by pointing out that they were not STARs and that they showed incorrect routing.

Why so 'testy'?Like I said... "Funny really - Been simming for over ten years, but only just getting into 'CORRECTLY' trying to use SIDS & STARS"Which means I'M NOT an expert and no very little about them.So, give me a break eh?

Why so 'testy'?Like I said... "Funny really - Been simming for over ten years, but only just getting into 'CORRECTLY' trying to use SIDS & STARS"Which means I'M NOT an expert and no very little about them.So, give me a break eh?
Why not give me a break? You asked a question and I tried to be helpful by answering it.

...and for my next daft question...What are the 'CORRECT' methods of approach from the STAR?I've looked at various posts and other sites, and there seems to be some debate about what is, or isn't the most normal course of events from there.From what I understand, what is considered normal for the approach, also differs between countries too?Please TRY to bear with me as, unlike the guy in the other thread, I actually CAN have difficulty absorbing technical data :( Ta!

...and for my next daft question...What are the 'CORRECT' methods of approach from the STAR?I've looked at various posts and other sites, and there seems to be some debate about what is, or isn't the most normal course of events from there.From what I understand, what is considered normal for the approach, also differs between countries too?Please TRY to bear with me as, unlike the guy in the other thread, I actually CAN have difficulty absorbing technical data :( Ta!
In the real world an aircraft would normally be given vectors to fly from a hold to the final approach. Also, in the real world, there are Initial Approch Proceedures to fly from the holds to the FAP/FAF when radar vectoring isn't available. These are shown here:http://www.ead.euroc..._2011-03-10.pdfhttp://www.ead.euroc..._2011-04-07.pdfEDIT: To clarify this for the UK.

I strongly recommend flying a bit online, you'd be forced to learn all these things just by flying. Of course, if you dont know anything about real life aviation then you'd have to spend a bunch of hours researching, for example the atc "language". Flying online is one of the most fun ways to learn aviation in my opinion, highly recommended.

In your example the answer is simple. You are flying the STAR to TIMBA. The rwy 08R approach into EGKK has a defined transition from TIMBA, so in this case there is no need for vectors.In EFB, with the STAR already selected as in your image, go to the "Approach" tab then right-click on "EGKK Approach" on the left side of the screen. Choose "Select Approach", then select your runway ("08R"), procedure ("ILS Rwy 08R") and finally the transition ("TIMBA (East)").

Okay thanks guys.That gives me more to go on.The REAL answer would have been to find this stuff out ten years ago :(

Special thank to Trisager.You've shown me that I've been missing a whole section out when using EFB - Duh!

I've downloasded EFB to try it out. So far I'm impressed with it's facilities and functions.The only downside was that when I had FSX and Firefox running, opening EFB eventually crashed my XP system. Anyone else had yhis problem?

I've downloasded EFB to try it out. So far I'm impressed with it's facilities and functions.The only downside was that when I had FSX and Firefox running, opening EFB eventually crashed my XP system. Anyone else had yhis problem?
I run mine on a networked pc. Makes a big difference. I'm sttill on a demo version, but will get it.A bit pricy in my book, but it does appear you get quite a bit of 'bang for your buck'.

The only downside was that when I had FSX and Firefox running, opening EFB eventually crashed my XP system. Anyone else had yhis problem?
No problems here, but if it happens again they have a support forum and they seem pretty responsive.The software really shines when flying online on Vatsim or IVAO, by the way. Very convenient to have the moving maps when taxiing and all the current and upcoming ATC frequencies across the top of the screen. Not to mention that EFB reads the navaid frequencies from FSX, so you always have the correct frequencies on your approach charts.