Sign in to follow this  
greggerm

RAID and FS

Guest Andy Dyson

Is anyone running a striped RAID array with FS? Any benefit? Faster load times?Cheers,Andy (YPPH)

Guest james_2k

yes i am, but im not sure if i notice any particular improvement, i have two IBM 7,200 40g in a raid 0 array, cheers, James

I run 2 Maxtor SATA 120's in a RAID-0 stripe. LOTS of storage space.I've noticed a good improvement in loading times and "snappyness" to the system. I haven't measured it, but it is improved. Most noticable is WinXP loading fast. FAST. FS2004 loads at a faster rate, but not as dramatic as the XP load time. Flights in FS2004 load faster as well, and any texture loading is quicker.It's not a HUGE improvement, but if you are updating your storage systems in your computer already, it is probably worth the look. Needless to say, there are serious data corruption issues should one of the arrayed drives go bad, so be aware that regular backups will become a *VERY* important piece to your data security. I am currently mid-upgrade... changing from an Asus P4PE mobo to a Asus P4P800, and adding 1 GB of RAM, needed for some memory intensive work I do on my system. Keeping the same processor at 533fsb, but getting some solid DDR400 and 800mhz option availibility for future.