Sign in to follow this  
Masterpilot737

Graphic card or CPU

Hi PMDG,I have a little Question to set up my PC for the NGX.What is more important that the FSX with the NGX works with a good framerate:The CPU or the Graphic card?I just want to buy the thing that is more important, because i've not so much money at the moment... (just a student)My System at the Moment:CPU: Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8300 " 2.50GHzRAM: 4.00 GBGraphic card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 260so now my Question as said: What is at the moment more important for my system, that NGX will work nice? GC or CPU?(sorry for my bad english)Thanks, dear regards,Matthias

You could try getting a cooler & overclocking your current CPU. Upgrading to a new one, you'd need a new motherboard because the one you've got is socket 775. Newer CPU's will need 1155 or 1156 socket. Of course, a new motherboard would also mean new memory, since your 4GB is DDR2, & not DDR3.EDIT: If you're able to get 3.4GHz out of that quad, that'd be a 36% increase in clock speed.

Your graphic card i okay. But you should really spend some money for one of these i5/i7 cpus. Which mainboard do you have??? I would take a i5 2500(k) but it has to fit in your mainboard. Best way to go is buy a 2500k/2600k and oc it to 4.2-4.6 GHz with a good cooler. But there are cheaper ways... Maybe you should take a PMDG support ticket so you can search for the best solution with Ryan.

regards,

Alexander Marx

CPU for sure - you're going to have to upgrade your motherboard and RAM as well to do it though.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I had a q9650 with a gtx285 just was not enough, the guys are right, good luck.Rich

Rich Sennett

Hey Guys,Thank you very much for your help.I will buy a new graphic card, a cpu and mainbord and keep my graphic card wich i have at the moment. Someone has asked what for a motherboard i have:Asus P5QC Motherboard, it hasn't the right socket so i need a new one.( have a 775 LGA Socket)My Memory: DDR3, 4096 MBytesI don't know wich CPU i should buy exactly now. Type is clear Intel Core I7. Wich Motherboard is okay?but i need some mor informations about what i should buy. Whats the right thing?Thanks for helping me.Dear regards Matthias

A P8P67 Pro Deluxe is what I am going to buy, reviews are excellent so..

Get a i5 2500k and overclock. Best bang for your buck. If you don't need a bunch of features, the ASUS P8P67 board will do just fine.

if the machine is for mostly FSX then CPU all the way. Get the best CPU you can afford, I realise this may mean a new motherboard. It seems most flight sims now out rely so much on the CPU. DCS A10c is another CPU dependant sim for instance.If you end up getting a P67 motherboard make sure its a B3 Revision as the first generation had a issue with the SATA drives.

Hi there,I just upgraded my system recently but before that I had the following rig (similar to yours) :- Asus P5QC- Core 2 Quad Q9550 overclocked at 3.7GHz with a Zalman 9700 cooler- 1333MHz DDR3 corsair memory DIMM's (dual channel)- ATI Radeon 6970 (overclocked at 900 MHz core) --> this is maybe slightly higher than your gfx card but shouldn't really make that much of a difference.- tweaked fsx.cfg file (mainly ******* Altuve's tweaks applied) in addition to disabling every possible non necessary Windows service, run the game on it's own harddisk, disable car traffic, etc...With this setup I was able to get 20-25 fps in a PMDG 747 VC in dense airport sceneries like i.e. Mega Airport London Heathrow.This is a video I made landing in UK2000's Manchester airport scenery. Using fraps this system still gave me 20fpshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcDRmMHOg1kscenery : extremely denseautogen : very densewater : low 2 samplescar traffic : 0other sliders are at max valueI honestly think that you could get much more out of your current rig by buying a better cooler, DDR3 ram, apply *******' tweak and just overclock the CPU to the max you can.That is what I did with my previous rig and the gain in performance was simply astonishing.Just my 2 cents... good luck.