Hi fellas! First off, long time no see. And by long time, I mean a few years. I miss the good ol' days when I was a regular around here and on Vatsim typically flying under a Continental call sign. Crazy this is that since I was here last, Continental has been merged in to United. I live right where all the planes turn final for 8L/R at IAH, so I get reminded of this merger on a daily basis :Hypnotized: Anyways, heres the point in this post. My old Gateway FX laptop served me well, but it's time to be replaced. From what I have found, I really like the size and looks of the HP Envy 14. Its a sexy looking beast isn't it? :Big Grin:I know FS9 will be installed and that this laptop won't have an issue running it, but I would love to finally make the transition to FSX and make my return to the virtual skies! Has anyone heard anything as far as performance goes on the Envy 14 and FSX? I've looked, but I haven't been able to find anything. FSX has been out since the end of 07 or 08, I would assume hardware has finally caught up (hopefully) but then again, I wouldn't be surprised if it had not!Any advice and knowledge you guys can give me would be much appreciated! I would like to be under the 1000 mark on my purchase, but would be willing to go over a tad bit if I found something absolutely incredible!2Feel free to post your responses here, but if you could forward it to my email, that would be incredible! Chase.Barnett@gmail.comThanks guys for your help!Chase Barnett

Hi fellas! First off, long time no see. And by long time, I mean a few years. I miss the good ol' days when I was a regular around here and on Vatsim typically flying under a Continental call sign. Crazy this is that since I was here last, Continental has been merged in to United. I live right where all the planes turn final for 8L/R at IAH, so I get reminded of this merger on a daily basis :Hypnotized: Anyways, heres the point in this post. My old Gateway FX laptop served me well, but it's time to be replaced. From what I have found, I really like the size and looks of the HP Envy 14. Its a sexy looking beast isn't it? :Big Grin:I know FS9 will be installed and that this laptop won't have an issue running it, but I would love to finally make the transition to FSX and make my return to the virtual skies! Has anyone heard anything as far as performance goes on the Envy 14 and FSX? I've looked, but I haven't been able to find anything. FSX has been out since the end of 07 or 08, I would assume hardware has finally caught up (hopefully) but then again, I wouldn't be surprised if it had not!Any advice and knowledge you guys can give me would be much appreciated! I would like to be under the 1000 mark on my purchase, but would be willing to go over a tad bit if I found something absolutely incredible!2Feel free to post your responses here, but if you could forward it to my email, that would be incredible! Chase.Barnett@gmail.comThanks guys for your help!Chase Barnett
Hi Chase,Welcome back to AVSIM. I looked at the HP Envy 14 specs, and IMHO even with the best options selected, the CPU and GPU are below what is needed to run FSX properly. I don't think there is really any laptop that is up to the task of wringing out good performance in FSX with sliders to the right with common payware aircraft and sceneries. You pretty much have to go to a high performance desktop to do that consistantly.BTW, this would be a bit better suited in the CPU, GPU, and other hardware forum (the next one up), but no problem. :smile: Kind regards,

Stephen, Ron, thanks for the responses.I opted not to go with the hp. Actually, I purchased a Dell xps 17. The deal I got on this laptop just made it a no brainer to me. I'll be sticking with a laptop for at least a year. I am planning on buying a desktop in about a year. Being an emt and working 24 hour shifts, something portable but still capable was very important to me. The xps just seems like an amazing machine with the new sandy bridge from intel. I plan on loading fs9 and I know this will run it with out a doubt in my mind. I'm curious to see what fsx will be like. I know not to expect full sliders, but I hope that after tweaking the laptop and the sim itself that I will be able to have decent and enjoyable performance with medium to medium high visual details.All in all, I'm excited to be getting back into the sim. I've missed the hobby, and I'm sure fs9 will simply be amazing on this laptop and I hope fsx will be half decent. Time will tell.If you guys are curious, here are the specs!PROCESSOR 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2620M processor 2.70 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.40 GHzOPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® Home Premium, 64-Bit, English VIDEO CARD NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M 3GB graphics with Optimus HARD DRIVE 1.0TB 500GB 7.2k HDD x 2HD DISPLAY 17.3" FHD (1080p) with 2.0MP HD WebcamINTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE 8X Tray Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)WIRELESS + BLUETOOTH Intel© Centrino© Advanced-N 6230 and Bluetooth 3.0BATTERY OPTIONS 56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary BatterySOUND OPTIONS JBL 2.1 Speakers with Waves Maxx Audio 3 + Creative SoundBlaster X-FI MB 1.2Integrated Network Adapter Integrated 10/100/1000 Network Card MEMORY 8GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory COLORS Elemental Silver Aluminum KEYBOARD Backlit Keyboard - English