I need a new PSU for my overclocked Q9650 and GTX285 system (see the spec below) for under £150. What sort of wattages are people running and what wattage / make would you recommend. I was looking at the Corsair TX950 950W. I'd like a PSU that can run an overclocked Core i7 system with a high end GeForce series 400 or 500 graphics card, and ideally, also has a 140mm or 120mm fan that I can easily replace if needed (rather than an awkward 135mm fan).Thanks for you're replies in advance.

Regards, Django EGLL.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

| Warthog HOTAS + CH Pedals | 32" TV 1080p 60Hz | TrackIR5 |

Here's a great post on Overclock.net about power supplies, with some good recommendations. The Power Suply forum on Overlcock.net is an awesome resource. Make sure that you get enough power. I originally bought a 500W power supply to run an AMD 555BE and ATI 5770, and I found that I was getting CPU usage spikes, and crashes about 10-15 minutes into any flight.http://www.overclock.net/power-supplies/183810-faq-recommended-power-supplies.html

Thanks for your replies. Any opinions on what would be a good future proof wattage? I think perhaps 950W is overkill as I'm not planning on having a multiple graphics cards. When I use online PSU calculators like this one I get a minimum value of about 640W and a recommended value 690W.

Regards, Django EGLL.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

| Warthog HOTAS + CH Pedals | 32" TV 1080p 60Hz | TrackIR5 |

Thanks for your replies. Any opinions on what would be a good future proof wattage? I think perhaps 950W is overkill as I'm not planning on having a multiple graphics cards. When I use online PSU calculators like this one I get a minimum value of about 640W and a recommended value 690W.
If you are sure you will never upgrade anything the 750W is OK, BUT what will you buy in two years?, 950W should be upgrade proof.

Your wattage needs are very close to mine, and my system is totally stable with the 650W PSU it runs. PSU calculators notoriously vastly over-rate real-world power consumption. Most FSX systems out there aren't pulling more than 300W from the wall. You want a good quality PSU but you don't need to go overboard and spend a ridiculous amount of money on something that will never be used. Besides, the lower the utilization of your PSU, the lower the efficiency, which means you will waste more energy. You're better off running a 650W PSU at 50% load than a 950W PSU at 30% load, for example (assuming similar build quality and efficiency of the PSUs in question).