Sign in to follow this  

Is Windows 98 the most unreliable OS ever?!?!?!

Hi,Yes. I have not had one crash in almost a year of using Win2000pro. The MS upgrade cost from Win95 to Win98 was the largest software rip-off in history. Hardly any new features, but plenty of crashes. IMHO. BobP :)

I never know why everyone says that every OS pre 2k or XP is horrible. I have used 95A, 98, ME, 2K, and XP Pro, each for year or more (4 months w/ XP Pro), and I don't have any problems with any of them except 95A. 98 was perfectly stable, ME was even better, and 2k and XP are basically the same.http://www.kcsportscalendar.net/signature1.jpg

I ran Win95 for what seems like the longest time, with very little problems. I never used 98, but I have WinME now, and it's horrible :(.I get nothing but crashes all the time, something that very rarely happened with my copy of Win95. I will be getting a new comp and upgrading to XPpro or Win2000 in a month or two. :)

That is odd though - I ran Win 98 as my home platform including FS2000 for a long time, and it really wasn't that bad. Maybe some odd bit of software that you installed.If you have the choice of upgrading though, go to XP directly. It has all the stability of 2000 but with good gaming support.Good luck!Vince

I guess the problem I have with your "Is Windows 98 the most unreliable OS ever?!?!?!" comment is preceded by your "I reinstalled Windows 98 three days ago, ...".If all you did was reinstall Windows 98 without updating the OS from the Microsoft Update Website, updating the drivers for controller chips, sound, graphics cards, modems, NICs, and other peripherals then I say your reinstallation of the OS is faulty not the OS.

Also..... did you install the original Windows98 or the Second Edition version???? :-outta Francois :-wave________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online!email: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Hi :)My computer is not modern, with parts that haven't had a driver update in a while :(. I'm a student, and I can't afford to get a new one. I am using the original Win98, as opposed to the SE. The crashes have calmed down, thank goodness! :)PIII 450MHzGeForce2, 64Mb256Mb RAMhttp://www.aavirtual.com/images/aav2207_banner.gif

I have used Windows ME for the past eighteen months, and I don't have any problems with it. Like everything PC related, any problems have more to do with your own system specification, rather than anything to do with the OS.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png