Sign in to follow this  
hightower

Emerald Isle....a new Island?

The attached pic shows a top down view of Ireland and an unwanted "blocked" area of water and terrain. Where it came from, how it occurs and what files are missing/causing this anomaly, I have no idea. I have UT Europe and FS Genesis. Deactivating these programs does not eliminate the "blocked" area. I have selectively deactivated my World/scenery/EurW files with the same results. I have deactivated addon sceneries of Ireland from the defunct ISFD group. No change. Any thoughts /suggestions are most welcome.Thanks

Hi.Somehow, you've lost a couple of LC******.bgl and possibly a couple of HP******.bgl files too. UT Europe may have disabled them by renaming to *.XXX. Off the top of my head they would have been in the Eurw folder, and probably were HP94****.bgl. I don't think deactivating UT Europe will reinstate all the disabled files.Fly over Wales and see if the coastline is correct there (the fault is with the LC files) or if Wales extends out to the new 'land' (the fault is with the HP files).The HP files are land water mask and I think the LC are landclass (but I'm only guessing). I've had the same problem in several places around Europe while trying to get vector coastlines to match the land water mask. Finding the culprit takes some time by trial and error. Then there's the subsequent problem of getting everything else to match up to the coastline. (I had fun a week ago getting UT Europe to match my newly installed Scotflight).Be aware that land water masks take incremental bites out of the coastline and don't suppress each other so if you have two different LWM files for one piece of coastline you may end up with some extra bays and fewer headlandsFS Genesis won't be affecting it, that's only mesh.Regards,D

The attached pic shows a top down view of Ireland and an unwanted "blocked" area of water and terrain. Where it came from, how it occurs and what files are missing/causing this anomaly, I have no idea. I have UT Europe and FS Genesis. Deactivating these programs does not eliminate the "blocked" area. I have selectively deactivated my World/scenery/EurW files with the same results. I have deactivated addon sceneries of Ireland from the defunct ISFD group. No change. Any thoughts /suggestions are most welcome.Thanks
I have a friend who had a similar problem over a portion of Ireland.He finally traced it down to the UTEurope Landclass files -quote from his message to meUT Europe is sub divided into 8 folders. I eliminated them one by one to see if any of them were involved. Sure enough, #2 and the 18 landclass files in it were the problem. UT provides a GUI where you select/deselect certain geographic functions for roads, streams, lanclass, buildings, etc. Deselecting the landclass option corrected the problem, but don't ask me why or how. The "blocked" area is now gone and the water looks normal.end quoteHope his experience may be helpful to you.

Thanks Dave, and Dave!Opa - your "friend", is I. I passed on your thread to him. :( Chris

The default world landclass file has a value for landclass which actually shows water. this is used in all ocean areas as well as large lakes. You can see that in the pix where outside of the "cross" (detailed terrain region) water is shown (the distant area only looks at the default files). This way, MS didn't have to create water masks for all the ocean areas, only around the shorelines.What probably happened, is that an addon landclass file was installed, which was filled with some typical landclass value (texture) within its entire extent. So now where there isn't water mask (aka hydro poly HP9 aka LWM) the landclass terrain is being drawn. The fix if I'm right is either to dump the landclass file or create a water-fill file that covers the landclass file extents.LWMViewer2 which is kind of finicky because it was never really finished 100% is good for this because it will load every scenery file within an area and you can turn them on/off in the LWMViewer display and figure out what file is doing what.scott s..