Sign in to follow this  
Guest jahman

B-17 "Liberty Belle" burns to the ground...

Guest jahman

Folks,A sad day indeed: B-17 "Liberty Belle" burns to the ground after a No. 2 engine in-flight fire drives crew to an emergency landing in a field. The field was too soft for the fire engines to make it to the aircraft, so the B-17 crew (all alive and well) watched as Liberty Bell said her fairwell.CNN Video. Photos. ABC News article and video. "Liberty Belle" Foundation Statement.A fond farewell to Liberty Belle's proud heritage!- jahman.

Oh crap. That's a real bummer. Still, at least they all got out of it okay.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Folks,A sad day indeed: B-17 "Liberty Belle" burns to the ground after a No. 2 engine in-flight fire drives crew to an emergency landing in a field. The field was too soft for the fire engines to make it to the aircraft, so the B-17 crew (all alive and well) watched as Liberty Bell said her fairwell.CNN Video. Photos. ABC News article and video. "Liberty Belle" Foundation Statement.A fond farewell to Liberty Belle's proud heritage!- jahman.
Thank God no one was seriously hurt (There was one minor injury) It is a tragic loss though to the WWII Warbird community to lose a plane like this. There are not many left. It's interesting to note in the ABC video it's mentioned they were having fuel leak problems. We'll have to wait for the official report to be sure, but right now that looks like the most likely cause.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest jahman

Liberty Belle in her better days:Liberty_Belle_05.jpgAnd taking it on the nose as a flying testbet for a fifth engine (of the P&W variety!)I wonder if the Wright Cyclones got jealous and all four quit and feathered themselves in disgust:Pratt-Whitney_T-34_B-17_testbed_NAN10-50.jpg- jahman.

She is tough and she saved everyone on board in that crash. Testimate to the B-17.Seeing those images is a bit of a reminder of the crashes back in the service days in England when they used to limp back from missions over Europe. It was common to see that sort of crash in the fields. Damn shame to lose one today though

Matthew Kane

What a sad loss! In the 90's I had the privledge of crawling through "Liberty Belle" thereby gaining a whole new perspective on what once was. If my memory serves me correctly, it seemed in near mint condition at the time. The A2A B-17 version strikes a reasonably realistic portrayal.Glad all made it out.Kind regards,

If you don't mind viewing a couple family fotos here's a pretty good video I made of the Belle 2 years ago here in DEN. I have the A2A B-17 and a few years back I asked Nathan ( Nath), one of the best painters, for a Liberty Belle paint. He responded with a beautiful one which is available, as Steven mentioned.http://vimeo.com/25243494So long to the Belle!Bruce

Guest jahman
If you don't mind viewing a couple family fotos here's a pretty good video I made of the Belle 2 years ago here in DEN. I have the A2A B-17 and a few years back I asked Nathan ( Nath), one of the best painters, for a Liberty Belle paint. He responded with a beautiful one which is available, as Steven mentioned.http://vimeo.com/25243494So long to the Belle!Bruce
What a great video! Thanks for posting!Cheers,- jahman.

She is tough and she saved everyone on board in that crash. Testimate to the B-17.Seeing those images is a bit of a reminder of the crashes back in the service days in England when they used to limp back from missions over Europe. It was common to see that sort of crash in the fields. Damn shame to lose one today though
People are calling it a crash. It was not a crash. They landed safely. The fire just burned the aircraft after the landing. Didn't they have fire extinguishers on board the plane though? If I were one of the crew members, I would have been doing all I could to put that fire out.Glad everyone was okay, though. I too have been inside this same B-17. She sure was a beauty.

Brandon Filer

Yes, the web site has a picture of the Belle after landing with no damage other than the small fire on the port wing. Though on the scene, the fire equipment could not reach the ac due to the wet field condition so they all just watched it burn. Very sad.Bruce

Didn't they have fire extinguishers on board the plane though? If I were one of the crew members, I would have been doing all I could to put that fire out.
You've got a plane laden with fuel and a fire in the wing/engine area. A portable fire extinguisher inside the plane. Think about that for a bit and let us know if you're still willing to chance a few hundred gallons of fuel going off as you're trying to get the fire extinguisher to work.The crew made the best choice possible, get the hell away from a burning object that might explode and leave the heroics to the professional firefighters. Circumstances prohibited a happy ending in this situation.

You've got a plane laden with fuel and a fire in the wing/engine area. A portable fire extinguisher inside the plane. Think about that for a bit and let us know if you're still willing to chance a few hundred gallons of fuel going off as you're trying to get the fire extinguisher to work.The crew made the best choice possible, get the hell away from a burning object that might explode and leave the heroics to the professional firefighters. Circumstances prohibited a happy ending in this situation.
Exactly. It's not worth risking a life over. The crew took the correct decision.

Anyone remembers the "Memphis Belle" addon for FS9/CFS3 made by Just Flight? Just rediscovered in my cupboard. Could someone make a paint with is for this plane?