Hi guys!Well I'm returning to the sim after being gone for a loooong time. I had created a thread but in the wrong forum. I guess I'll repost here. Whats everyone's opinion on the Dell XPS 17 I purchased? I'll be sticking with a laptop for at least a year, the I am planning on buying a desktop to make my primary machine. Being an emt and working 24 hour shifts, something portable but still capable was very important to me. I plan on loading fs9 and I know this will run it with out a doubt in my mind. I'm curious to see what fsx will be like. I know not to expect full sliders, but I hope that after tweaking the laptop and the sim itself that I will be able to have decent and enjoyable performance with medium to medium high visual details.All in all, I'm excited to be getting back into the sim. I've missed the hobby, and I'm sure fs9 will simply be amazing on this laptop and I hope fsx will be half decent. Time will tell.If you guys are curious, here are the specs!PROCESSOR 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2620M processor 2.70 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.40 GHzOPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® Home Premium, 64-Bit, EnglishVIDEO CARD NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M 3GB graphics with OptimusHARD DRIVE 1.0TB 500GB 7.2k HDD x 2HD DISPLAY 17.3" FHD (1080p) with 2.0MP HD WebcamINTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE 8X Tray Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)WIRELESS + BLUETOOTH Intel© Centrino© Advanced-N 6230 and Bluetooth 3.0BATTERY OPTIONS 56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary BatterySOUND OPTIONS JBL 2.1 Speakers with Waves Maxx Audio 3 + Creative SoundBlaster X-FI MB 1.2Integrated Network Adapter Integrated 10/100/1000 Network CardMEMORY 8GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 MemoryCOLORS Elemental Silver AluminumKEYBOARD Backlit Keyboard - English

FSX will run pretty well with relatively high settings, though certainly not as well as a desktop with an i7 clocked to somewhere around 5GHz. Give it a shot and see how you like it! You might be surprised.

Called Dell today and had a dual core i7 2720qm put in it instead. Saved a few bucks by doing so also. :)I'm looking forward to this system. The biggest pain will be transferring all of my add ons, re installing them and installing the sim. I typically enjoy the tweaking process though. I would love to think I could have a half decent looking fsx that runs well. Time will tell though. System should arrive at the end of the month.

There's no such thing as a dual core 2720qm, the model number, specifically the "q" denotes that it is a quad core processor. Besides, you want a quad core for FSX, unless you don't mind blurry textures and reduced performance...

There's no such thing as a dual core 2720qm, the model number, specifically the "q" denotes that it is a quad core processor. Besides, you want a quad core for FSX, unless you don't mind blurry textures and reduced performance...
I originally had a dual core, had it changed to a quad core. My mistake and thanks for catching me on that! :)