Sign in to follow this  
psolk

FSDT throws down the gauntlet...

Ok,I have managed to unsort my own confused state of mind as earlier when I read the OP and I had headed over to FSDT I had not seen anything about the Zurich upgrade because I'd bookmarked their recent sale.As I'm not a member of their forum,let me see if I have worked this out correctly.As an owner of the recently-purchased Zurich scenery I can get a FREE upgrade PLUS $10 off their next biggie,KLAX,etc.Is that a correct surmise? If so,then I cannot see how Aerosoft are going to win with their latest release. Just does not add up.But I also respect that there may be others wanting the Aerosoft release.All I'd like to say is,Thank You FSDT.
That's correct Rick if you have bought Zurich you are in entitled too the 10 dollars off any of there work, which was very cool of fsdt too do. it will last till the end of 2011 the discount, and the free upgrades which they are 2 of them there's other one the 3rd big upgrade later on for small fee. which upgrades the ground and other things to klax dfw standards with the shaders for ground etc etc. http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=4380.0

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

Thank you very much,Cesar for explaining all that.Now that is what I call a first-rate service from a developer.I feel a heap better having bought 5 airports from FSDT recently.Look forward to the upgrades and the new KLAX scenery too.Not too sure what GSX is.

Not too sure what GSX is.
Rick, FSDT has a GSX "Backdoor" subform that has videos of GSX in action and explains what it is as does.Basically, its like AES except that it works at ALL airports and doesn't require the purchase of credits to make it function. The only thing it doesn't do that AES does from my understanding is make the jetways animated if the airport has static jetways. Not too much of an issue on that since most good developers like FSDT already include moving jetways as a standard practice. A lot of airpors from Aerosoft have static jetways by design, so AES is necessary if you want them to move and connect to your a/c. I always figured that Aerosoft designed their airports to have static jetways because they wanted to get people to buy AES credits to make them move or their developers dont have the know how to make them animated on their own.Now that GSX is being developed I am glad I never got AES and sunk a lot of money into buying credits since GSX will work at all airports, default or after market.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I always figured that Aerosoft designed their airports to have static jetways because they wanted to get people to buy AES credits to make them move or their developers dont have the know how to make them animated on their own.
Or maybe just a conscious design decision to avoid a performance hit from AI with moving jetways.Not nearly as entertaining as a good conspiracy theory, I know.

Or maybe just a conscious design decision to avoid a performance hit from AI with moving jetways.Not nearly as entertaining as a good conspiracy theory, I know.
Yeah that's true, I hadn't though about it. I assumed most folks already had the AI/jetway interaction turned off.

Thank you for that information,cmpbellsjc. Now that you have explained what GSX is,I feel a heap better never having invested in AES and its ridiculous money-spinning credits.Now I very much look forward to this development from FSDT.It certainly gives their customer base a loyalty incentive.Even if does nothing more than move an FSDT airport jetway for me,it will do for me.

Not sure what problem people have with AES - I really like it. You can use both, you know, it';s not one or the other. So for those airports that have static jetways, you can buy the credits to get AES support, and for all the others (dynamic jetways or no jetways at all) you can use GSX. Perfect world, for as far as I'm concerned.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Not sure what problem people have with AES - I really like it. You can use both, you know, it';s not one or the other. So for those airports that have static jetways, you can buy the credits to get AES support, and for all the others (dynamic jetways or no jetways at all) you can use GSX. Perfect world, for as far as I'm concerned.
I don't have any problem with AES, it's just not something that I ever really felt compelled to buy. The reason why are as follows.1. Never had a use for the follow me car. I fly 90% of the time in the US and aren't familiar with or ever been to any hubs that used this.2. Dont need a push back tug or utility since FSX already has it built in, and some a/c like the LDS 767 have their own push back function built into it3. Dont like the style/look of the marshallers that come with AES compared to what GSX has or ORBX PeopleFlow has, even though PeopleFlow is a completely different thing, the folks look better4. Always felt the AES catering truck and all that other stuff that comes with it was best suited for making screen shots. For me personally, when I fly an airliners I rarely ever go to spot or external views and dont really care much about those items. I think the catering trucks and other vehicle look cool for screen shots, but since I rarely take them or post them I would rarely even see the vehicles.5. It would cost me a fair amount of money to buy credits to activate all my addon airportsOk, having said all that, I will buy GSX since it will cover all airports, probably wont cost much (I would guess around $35), the marshallers look better, as well as the vehicles. Even though I probably wont use it often for the same reasons I wouldn't use GSX much, based on the price it wouldn't be bad to have for the occasional screen shot.

To me, AES adds luxury. It adds realism, too. To go over your reasons...1) The followme car simply makes it easy for me to locate the gate. Instead of having the ugly and unrealistic yellow arrows, I have an actual vehicle to follow. Since the AFCADs are not always up to date, real world charts don't always match my addon airports and as such I'd rather not use them for ground procedures.2) True, but AES's implementation is far better than the default FSX or that of many addons. See, you don't have to guess anything or calculate anything. You simply ask AES to push you back and it does it accurately and easily without having the pilot do anything - like in the real world.3) True. The marshaller looks like a puppet made out of wood and it moves that way too...4) Also true. They are only there at the very start and very end of the flight and as such do not provide much use, but I like to watch them.5) Very true. it is actually quite expensive, but that's the beauty of the GSX: when that comes out, you'll only have to get AES for those airports that have static jetways. For all the others, you can simply use GSX and get the best of both worlds.I'm not trying to convince you to buy AES or use it with the same enthusiasm in which I use it, and in fact most of your reasons are understandable. My main reasons to use AES are the parking signs at the gates and the pushback tug. AES simply manages to push you back with greta precision and it also does it the same way as in the real world. The AES push back procedure is way more realistic than the default FSX system and those of the addons I know have it, simply because you'll always have to either calculate or guess when the aircraft needs to turn and how many degrees it has to turn. I think that's unrealistic and even cumbersome.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

LOL @ the wheels at Aerosoft's screenshot... come on, hehe
I just saw some screen shots that a few users posted and the FPS look horrible as I expected.One guy posted some VC pics from a Cessna and was getting about 11 to 12 FPS with what appeared to be no traffic, dont know what kind of rig he's using though.The other guy was getting FPS in the high teens and twice at 27 FPS using the default Ultralight and some traffic, he has an i7 920 overclocked at 3.8GHz. If that the best FPS you can get using the default trike, its not very good imho.I can only imagine how bad the FPS must be when using a PMDG or LDS bird and some AI. AT the FSDT version with traffic and PMDG747 or LDS767 I can get a steady 25 to 30 FPS, the Aerosoft version would probably give me 15 FPS in the same situation if I was luck.

Thank you very much,Cesar for explaining all that.Now that is what I call a first-rate service from a developer.I feel a heap better having bought 5 airports from FSDT recently.Look forward to the upgrades and the new KLAX scenery too.Not too sure what GSX is.
no problem Rick Big%20Grin.gif
well as for me I love aes the models of course needs a major overhaul which of course we know Oliver is doing.
I don't have any problem with AES, it's just not something that I ever really felt compelled to buy. The reason why are as follows.1. Never had a use for the follow me car. I fly 90% of the time in the US and aren't familiar with or ever been to any hubs that used this.2. Dont need a push back tug or utility since FSX already has it built in, and some a/c like the LDS 767 have their own push back function built into it3. Dont like the style/look of the marshallers that come with AES compared to what GSX has or ORBX PeopleFlow has, even though PeopleFlow is a completely different thing, the folks look better4. Always felt the AES catering truck and all that other stuff that comes with it was best suited for making screen shots. For me personally, when I fly an airliners I rarely ever go to spot or external views and dont really care much about those items. I think the catering trucks and other vehicle look cool for screen shots, but since I rarely take them or post them I would rarely even see the vehicles.5. It would cost me a fair amount of money to buy credits to activate all my addon airportsOk, having said all that, I will buy GSX since it will cover all airports, probably wont cost much (I would guess around $35), the marshallers look better, as well as the vehicles. Even though I probably wont use it often for the same reasons I wouldn't use GSX much, based on the price it wouldn't be bad to have for the occasional screen shot.
Hi Sean while Ill admit that some things you cannot see while in the cockpit the pilot does see them while they do there walk around the plane :) I do agree with the cost, it can cost allot of money if you have allot of airports you want covered by aes and having gsx will be awesome. I don't mind having them both most aircraft add-ons do not have that push-back fuction so I really prefer the aes for now. I'm sure some will only use gsx when it comes out and others will use both aes and gsx.

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

I just saw some screen shots that a few users posted and the FPS look horrible as I expected.One guy posted some VC pics from a Cessna and was getting about 11 to 12 FPS with what appeared to be no traffic, dont know what kind of rig he's using though.The other guy was getting FPS in the high teens and twice at 27 FPS using the default Ultralight and some traffic, he has an i7 920 overclocked at 3.8GHz. If that the best FPS you can get using the default trike, its not very good imho.I can only imagine how bad the FPS must be when using a PMDG or LDS bird and some AI. AT the FSDT version with traffic and PMDG747 or LDS767 I can get a steady 25 to 30 FPS, the Aerosoft version would probably give me 15 FPS in the same situation if I was luck.
Heh, not surprised...

Benjamin van Soldt

Never understood why Aerosoft would take this one on anyway with all the other destinations that need to be completed but I can't see any FSDT users in their right mind going out to buy the Aerosoft version when FSDT is making their current version even better (and I always thought it was one of the best FS sceneries to begin with...) Love flying in there!
Aerosoft had a proffessional demand for this airport and because of that, they figured they might as well bring it out commercially. Besides that, Aerosoft has different ways of distributing it, with resellers. There are people that don't even know about these forums, but do fly FSX and this is a way for them to purchase what they need. Then there are those that prefer cd/dvd over downloads.Lots of reasons to bring it in the market with confidence.I never get the pro versus contra. FSDT makes very good addons and has very nice locations, as has Aerosoft. Every now and then they fish in the same pond ( to some extend) But no one is forced to buy a product.And in this case the costumers are the winners.

Did FSDT release the update that was promised "before the end of June"? I have not received any email notification, and I do not see anything on their website about it ...

Did FSDT release the update that was promised "before the end of June"? I have not received any email notification, and I do not see anything on their website about it ...
Third post down from Umberto: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=4484.0July 21st"The Update hasn't been released yet. When it will, it will be clearly announced on the web site. The current version on sale it's 1.5.2, if you go in your Windows Control Panel under the Add/Remove Programs, you can check which version you have and, if you have an older version, you might want to uninstall it, download the new one, and install it. This of course won't affect activation in any way."