Sign in to follow this  
turner112

Lockheed Martin's Prepar3D® Software to Soar at National Flight Academy

Just in case it's of any interest:Lockheed Martin's Prepar3D® Software to Soar at National Flight Academy http://www.lockheedmartin.com/news/press_releases/2011/061311Prepar3D-NFA.htmlI'm curious really as to what changes/updates have been made by Lockheed Martin... anyone know?thxAndrew

The main difference in the sim itself is that it is now regarded as a multiple environment simulator rather than simply a flight sim, i.e. they are touting it as a 'mission simulator' where you can go on land, or underwater, as well as airborne, in order to simulate combined military (and civilian) operations which use land vehicles, people on foot, submarines and such, in addition to aircraft. Beyond that it has the capability to do a few things similar to how high end simulators work, i.e. you can have an instructor station linked to a classroom full of instances of the sim, in order to use it as a training or mission briefing tool for large numbers of people. Of course a lot of that you could actually do with FSX online, but Prepar3d is geared up to do that in a more professional and 'serious' way, so the GUI is changed to reflect that.It is still basically FSX underneath all that though. If you take a look on the Prepar3d site, most of the differences and enhanced capabilities are in fact detailed on there, although when talking about the kind of money a military force might have available to spend on such a solution, I daresay they would be 'prepared' to customise the thing to suit the client's needs. In that sense it is a bit like a reversal of Full Spectrum Warrior, or America's Army.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

This bit, scroll down and look under the 'new capabilities' header:http://www.prepar3d.com/products/prepar3d-client/Notice the tweaks relating to military capabilities, for example, the upgraded Norfolk area with water. landclass and seasonal tweaks (Norfolk being where there is a lot of USN submarine training).In case you were curious about the kind of thing that might include, submarines are often out of communication range with positioning satellites when deeply submerged, and although they do have inertial guidance systems, they can also navigate and locate their position when submerged by scanning the ocean floor and comparing that to a database to determine their exact position, so if ESP in its Prepar3d form had a souped up ocean floor, users would be able to train people on that kind of thing. I daresay there are a lot of other fancy things it can do, but that is an example of what it might be used for.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Guest jahman

How do they deal with CTDs?Cheers,- jahman.

How do they deal with CTDs?Cheers,- jahman.
They know how to keep junk off of their computers and out of their program.