Sign in to follow this  
pager94

Stacked holding pattern / FMS Question

curiosity got the better of us here - one of our tech team members tried this in a Level-D NG sim this morning.
Connections FTW!

Kyle Rodgers

In the 744 I was able to set a speed/altitude restriction for the hold and fly it in VNAV. I'm not disputing anything, just saying

Booking time in a Level-D sim to answer a forum post for a product that isn't released yet...now THAT'S customer support!

Booking time in a Level-D sim to answer a forum post for a product that isn't released yet...now THAT'S customer support!
I don't think its called booking when you just casually hop in just any old morning. I think a better name would be lucky!

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator

Ok... curiosity got the better of us here - one of our tech team members tried this in a Level-D NG sim this morning. You actually cannot do it in VNAV period. Changing the altitude data doesn't create or update a new hold in the FMC. It must be done in LVL CHG or V/S.Case solved. tongue.gif
Short of taking a real one up for a fly about to try it, I think that's probably the best forum query reply anyone could ever hope for :( Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Now you can understand the resources available to make this product the best ever for FS!JadkColwill

any normal developer would have had a quick look in the manual/specs to see what would happen, but not PMDG!!!! they try it in the real sim!!

Ok guys, I have an update/retraction here:Turns out our tech team member (who is not Jack in this thread btw), was rushed the other morning and didn't try exactly what was being discussed here. He did try it exactly this morning and we now have video of exactly what it does (can't show it, sorry) - you actually CAN do it in VNAV - here's exactly what happens:- You're holding level in VNAV PTH and you input a new altitude into LSK 1R and exec.- As soon as you roll the MCP altitude down toward that new altitude the plane goes to VNAV SPD and performs an idle descent at best hold speed.- New best hold speed is calculated as soon as you put the new altitude in.That's the real story, sorry for the false alarm yesterday. Expect it to behave this way in the NGX.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Ok guys, I have an update/retraction here:Turns out our tech team member (who is not Jack in this thread btw), was rushed the other morning and didn't try exactly what was being discussed here. He did try it exactly this morning and we now have video of exactly what it does (can't show it, sorry) - you actually CAN do it in VNAV - here's exactly what happens:- You're holding level in VNAV PTH and you input a new altitude into LSK 1R and exec.- As soon as you roll the MCP altitude down toward that new altitude the plane goes to VNAV SPD and performs an idle descent at best hold speed.- New best hold speed is calculated as soon as you put the new altitude in.That's the real story, sorry for the false alarm yesterday. Expect it to behave this way in the NGX.
Wow your attention to detail is just stunning. Very few would have pick up on this!.

Very nice. I'm learning about the NG & haven't even downloaded the plane yet Big%20Grin.gif

That's pretty cool. Must admit I was quite surprised with the initial report that one would not be able to use VNAV at all, so it is pretty cool to know that you sort of can, even though I suspect most would probably just do it with the MCP alt and level change.That aside, I certainly admire PMDG's tenacity in going to such lengths to ensure the forthcoming FSX NG will be as close to the real thing as FSX will allow. As I've said before, you could take all the time you liked as far as I'm concerned if this level of authenticity will be the ultimate result of your efforts.So bravo. As ever, you really are living up to that Precision part of your company name. :( Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here