Sign in to follow this  
Hoang

Upgrading my computer for Fs9

I've been thinking a lot about paying $1000 for a new computer. But because I only fly Fs9 (the only game I play,beside Counter Strike 1.6 ), the investment will be too large. So I decided to upgrade my old computer to a better one.The current one is in my signature which includesCPU Intel E5300 OC @ 4GhzMain Gigabyte P35-Ds3LRam 4x1GB DDR2-800VGA MSI HD4670 512mb 128bitPSU Acbel 450W A.PFCWill upgrading CPU to E8400 and vga to 9800GT(or GTX) help improve my Fs9 framerates? Of course I'll try to overclock as much as possible. Since my E5300 already stable at 4Ghz, I wonder if E8400 ( OC @4Ghz) can do better and give better FPS.I really need your advise :D Thanks!

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

If you haven't done this already - don't bother. Moving from an E5300 @ 4GHz to an E8400 @ similar clock speed will give you virtually no performance. The video card may help a little bit, but even that is doubtful since FS9 is affected by the GPU's performance even less than FSX, which barely uses the GPU. Are you really receiving unacceptable levels of performance with your current setup in FS9? If so, you probably just have a software or configuration issue which should be resolved by troubleshooting rather than purchasing new hardware.

If you haven't done this already - don't bother. Moving from an E5300 @ 4GHz to an E8400 @ similar clock speed will give you virtually no performance. The video card may help a little bit, but even that is doubtful since FS9 is affected by the GPU's performance even less than FSX, which barely uses the GPU. Are you really receiving unacceptable levels of performance with your current setup in FS9? If so, you probably just have a software or configuration issue which should be resolved by troubleshooting rather than purchasing new hardware.
Thanks for your advise.Well, yes I'm strugling with my system when playing Fs9. With settings almost at medium only (no shadow and stuff like that) 4x AA and 4x AF, I don't get quite good FPS with addons (such as PMDG 747/Md11 or iFly 737 at big or crowded airports)The FPS usually go below 20,around 10-15 only.So what do you think I should to to get better performance? Should I go for Intel QXXX Cpu? Or upgrade to E8500?

Hoang Le

P3D v5

Thanks for your advise.Well, yes I'm strugling with my system when playing Fs9. With settings almost at medium only (no shadow and stuff like that) 4x AA and 4x AF, I don't get quite good FPS with addons (such as PMDG 747/Md11 or iFly 737 at big or crowded airports)The FPS usually go below 20,around 10-15 only.So what do you think I should to to get better performance? Should I go for Intel QXXX Cpu? Or upgrade to E8500?
HelloIf you cannot get good framerates in FS9 with that setup then something else is wrong.At 4ghz you should be getting a constant 30fps minimum.This is not a case of the hardware not being fast enough although a decent Nvidia card will help around heavy weather.The problem is all about how this machine is setup.

HelloIf you cannot get good framerates in FS9 with that setup then something else is wrong.At 4ghz you should be getting a constant 30fps minimum.This is not a case of the hardware not being fast enough although a decent Nvidia card will help around heavy weather.The problem is all about how this machine is setup.
Well,I could say my computer is pretty much a clean system so if this software issues I don't know where to start solving it :( I defrag my system every week,using CCleaner to clean all the unnecessary stuff in my C drive and check virus frequently.I only install Fs9,Counter Strike, iTunes,avast free AV and adobe photoshop.I lock my FPS at 50 and usually getting only around 20-25 at addons airports with payware aircraft (PMDG,ifly). And that is mostly in 2D panel, in VC in can..get worse.Anyway, talking back about upgrading my CPU and VGA. CPU,well,will Quad Core such as Q8400 increase FPS? About VGA, I think this time I will have a go for nvidia as I've heard many positive comments about it handling Fs9. Should I get something like GTs450?

Hoang Le

P3D v5

Guest simmer9304

The Q8400 won't be as powerful for FS9 as the E8400, the E8400 clocks higher and FS9 is single threaded. You won't get a Q8400 past about 3.6ghz. Also, you may want to consider a complete system upgrade, the higher clock speeds and clock-for-clock performance of say, an i5-2500k will benefit FS9 and E8400's are starting to get expensive

The Q8400 won't be as powerful for FS9 as the E8400, the E8400 clocks higher and FS9 is single threaded. You won't get a Q8400 past about 3.6ghz. Also, you may want to consider a complete system upgrade, the higher clock speeds and clock-for-clock performance of say, an i5-2500k will benefit FS9 and E8400's are starting to get expensive
Thanks,how much FPS do you get with your system? What are your display settings? Seems like you also run your E8400@4Ghz :biggrin:. I have asked some people of their system (running E8400),most of them are stabling at 4Ghz with very very nice FPS.A complete system upgrade is everyone's wish. I did have a plan to upgrade to i5 2500k but as I said earlier, it will cost me around $1000. Meanwhile, upgrading to E8400 (second hand) and a VGA such as GTS450 (second hand), I only have to pay around $250 only, and still give me more friendly framerates than I'm having now.I'm not quite a game player, just playing Fs9 at free time. I'm currently having summer holiday for about a month and a half but after that, I go to school all day and only have little bit amount of time playing, spending $1000 for a computer just to play Fs9 seems too much for me. I'd rather take the money and serve me a new cell phone hehe.

Hoang Le

P3D v5

Guest simmer9304

Hmm I'd have to reinstall FS9 to get a real gauge on that... when I last had it installed in April I had everything maxed out except clouds, I always left clouds at what I'd heard was a realistic distance of like 60-90mi. As for frames I recall I locked them to 45fps and they never went below 30fps especially once I got the GTX460 for Christmas. I also used a boatload of addons so it wasn't a default install. Oh and most E8400's can go higher than 4ghz, I left mine at 4ghz because past that it was starting to use up more voltage than I preferred and I was happy with performance.

Hmm I'd have to reinstall FS9 to get a real gauge on that... when I last had it installed in April I had everything maxed out except clouds, I always left clouds at what I'd heard was a realistic distance of like 60-90mi. As for frames I recall I locked them to 45fps and they never went below 30fps especially once I got the GTX460 for Christmas. I also used a boatload of addons so it wasn't a default install. Oh and most E8400's can go higher than 4ghz, I left mine at 4ghz because past that it was starting to use up more voltage than I preferred and I was happy with performance.
Wow, very impressive indeed :wub: In fact, with $250 besides E8400 (or E8500) I can get a GTX460 second hand at my place. Sound like I will have a go for it :smile:/Ah just wondering if could my OS be the cause? I haven't reinstall my windows for a very very long time. I'm using Win7 32bit

Hoang Le

P3D v5

Guest simmer9304

Yeah, an E8400 can handle FS9 easily. For some reference, in FSX I fly (well develop I wish I had time to fly) in PNW and I stay between 20 and 30fps. As for your OS, a reinstall could help but a 64bit version of Windows 7 would be better, FS9 can't use more than 3gb but being able to use all 4gb of RAM will leave some overhead for your OS. Oh and about the GTX460, try and get the 1gb one if you can, it's got a little more punch packed into it.

Yeah, an E8400 can handle FS9 easily. For some reference, in FSX I fly (well develop I wish I had time to fly) in PNW and I stay between 20 and 30fps. As for your OS, a reinstall could help but a 64bit version of Windows 7 would be better, FS9 can't use more than 3gb but being able to use all 4gb of RAM will leave some overhead for your OS. Oh and about the GTX460, try and get the 1gb one if you can, it's got a little more punch packed into it.
Yeah,for some reasons at my place only sell GTX460 1GB LOL.gifThank you very much :wub:

Hoang Le

P3D v5