I am currently building a new system which will have a I7-2600k, ASUS P8P67 Deluxe V3.and 8gig of ram. I will be putting my EVGA GTX480 in it and using my TH2Go DE for three screen VC view. I have also used a 4th monitor through the 480 via HDMI to drag different views to, like the GPS, ATC etc.I also have a EVGA GTX285 sitting here from an older system. My question is, can I install the 285 and run things like weather and Plan-G flight planner etc on it? I also have some older nVidia products like 9400, 9800 type boards if the 285 is too much or not compatible.ThanksRick S.

I can't beleive noone here can give me some advice, maybe I am on the wrong forum? I am in the middle of a new build and would rather do it now than later.btw, I do know that this isn't an SLI deal.ThanksRicks.

As long as your Power Supply can handle both cards at the same time I don't foresee any reason why you cant as they are both Nvidia cards and can work with the same drivers. I am going to do a similar thing hopefully next week when I get my 285 back from my brother, he borrowed my old card after his ATi 4870 (which used to be mine too, lol) went U/S.

Cheers, Andy.

As long as your Power Supply can handle both cards at the same time I don't foresee any reason why you cant as they are both Nvidia cards and can work with the same drivers. I am going to do a similar thing hopefully next week when I get my 285 back from my brother, he borrowed my old card after his ATi 4870 (which used to be mine too, lol) went U/S.
should, coolmax 950ThanksRick S.

If its supposed to supply 950 watts in total then I think you should be OK, but there are no guarantees.

Cheers, Andy.

My question is, can I install the 285 and run things like weather and Plan-G flight planner etc on it? I also have some older nVidia products like 9400, 9800 type boards if the 285 is too much or not compatible.ThanksRick S.
:Shocked: You can't do that, you need two of the same card (SLI), the 285 can be use for PhysX enable games only and since FSX do not use PhysX it's a waiste to have your 285 in, and for peoples who think FSX do not use SLI....read this... http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ptaylor/archive/2007/03/03/fsx-more-on-sli-and-multi-core.aspx

If you are just going to run 2D panels on the second card, a GTX 285 might be overkill and uneeded strain on your PSU. You could use it to run PhysX too, although that's not an issue with MSFS.As far as compatibility, there shouldn't be any issue.

:Shocked: You can't do that, you need two of the same card (SLI), the 285 can be use for PhysX enable games only and since FSX do not use PhysX it's a waiste to have your 285 in, and for peoples who think FSX do not use SLI....read this... http://blogs.msdn.co...multi-core.aspx
I do not plan to run SLI.Rick S.

I do not plan to run SLI.Rick S.
You can't run SLI with a 480 and a 285, so the 285 can be use for PhysX only. You can't use the 285 the way you described it in your original post, it just don't work like that.

That isn't what he is suggesting if you read the first post again, it's pretty clear what he wants to do and he even ends the first post by saying he isn't interested in SLI and then went on to say it wasn't SLI he was wanting two more times just to be clear.

Cheers, Andy.

That isn't what he is suggesting if you read the first post again, it's pretty clear what he wants to do and he even ends the first post by saying he isn't interested in SLI and then went on to say it wasn't SLI he was wanting two more times just to be clear.
OK maybe I did not understand what the OP is trying to do, so let see if I got it right this time, the OP want to run FSX on the GTX 480 and he want to put the GTX 285 in the same PC to run weather and Plan-G flight planner etc on itDo I understand correctly this time, if yes please can you explain to me how that can be done, I mean running FSX on one card and the other stuff as mentionned by the OP on the other card?

It's simple the second graphics card will show any monitors connected to it in the OS display settings screen, you then extend the desktop to enable these new displays then you simply drag the programs you want to use onto the other displays. It's no different from extended displays on a single graphics card.

Cheers, Andy.

It's simple the second graphics card will show any monitors connected to it in the OS display settings screen, you then extend the desktop to enable these new displays then you simply drag the programs you want to use onto the other displays. It's no different from extended displays on a single graphics card.
Well, I've learned something new today, I did not know one could do that, sorry for the confusion.

Here is an example of FS9 (triple monitors-triple views) and and the AVSIM FS9 Forum both running on multi monitors using dual video cards.This on on my ancient AMD 1.8 with dual GeForce FX5200 GPUs. AR

Rick !I do run similar set up to yours, theoretically, there is no reason why you should not be able to run your gauges, or what ever you want on a second card, and get, even, up to 5 monitors, however bear in mind that:

• Running full screen will, probably, require, all monitors with same resolution.
  • Running Window mode, you will get hit hard on the fps
  • The rule of 'The lowest denominator" means you will be "good" as the 285 and lose the advantage of the 480

CheersYair