Sign in to follow this  
garydpoole

AI "Rules of Engagement"

Hello AllMy question relates to the processing of AI by FS9:1) At what distance from the user's aircraft is AI 'injected' by FS9, ie, at what distance does FS9 start to expend processing power handling this AI ?2)Are parked aircraft that fall within the distance in 1) also processed by FS9 ?The reason for asking is that I'm attempting to evaluate the processing hit my system is getting at London Stansted from the (very busy) adjacent airports of Heathrow and Gatwick.Traffictool's map view shows an immense number of AI active around this area (to be expected), but most of it is parked. However, although the number of AI actually flying is only 20-ish, their impact of fps is quite severe - from 45 to ~30. Retain just the Stansted traffic, which is around 60 active AI and the fps rise back to 45-ish.Any help or thoughts most appreciatedRegardsGary

Hi,Quite sure that traffic zones are about 140 miles apart.Yes, anything in that zone is tracked.

It varies from 80 to 140 NM (approx), depending on the country boundaries, etc. Typically it's about 108 NM.Hope this helps,

The reason for asking is that I'm attempting to evaluate the processing hit my system is getting at London Stansted from the (very busy) adjacent airports of Heathrow and Gatwick.
One thing is processing the AI flightplans, other thing is generating the polygons of all AI aircraft (parked, taxiing and flying). The latter has a heavier impact in FPS and that explains why do you recover all those FPS when supressing AI traffic at Heathrow and Gatwick. The distance from where AI aircraft (the model) are visible depends on the developer of the model, but personally I've never seen any AI aircraft more than 10 NM away from me (even when TCAS tells me there is one).Best regards from Colombia,Luis Miguel

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Thanks for the comments, guys.I guess it's hardly surprising that I'm witnessing some dips is frame rates as Traffictool Explorer is currently stating that 316 AI are being tracked with approximately 40 of them en-route.Interestingly, it's the en-route AI that are causing the frame rate hit; selectively deleting both EGLL and EGKK parked AI makes very little improvement. However, leave parked EGLL and EGKK AI in place, delete those en-route and the fps are back up to approx 45.I suppose that's price you pay for flying in what is arguably the busiest airspace in the world !!!RegardsGary