Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

akiley

serial nmea out from sim to iPad ?

I would LOVE a way to send serial nmea out from my simulators (FSX, X-Plane) to the iPad. I am evaluating two iPad apps for real flying. (WingX and Foreflight) I know there is a WiFi GPS sold that works with the iPad 2 and WingX. http://www.skyradar.net/ It works by creating a wifi hot spot.I use a Garmin handheld GPS that works with sims, but the iPad is obviously a different animal. Any thoughts?... Aaron

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I would LOVE a way to send serial nmea out from my simulators (FSX, X-Plane) to the iPad. I am evaluating two iPad apps for real flying. (WingX and Foreflight) I know there is a WiFi GPS sold that works with the iPad 2 and WingX. http://www.skyradar.net/ It works by creating a wifi hot spot.I use a Garmin handheld GPS that works with sims, but the iPad is obviously a different animal. Any thoughts?... Aaron
I just bought skyradar and am very impressed after using xm weather since it was invented . However Skyradar is ads-b-nothing to do with the sim. I have both WingX and Foreflight and neither as far as I know support output from the sim. I have thought the same though and since both developers take feedback suggest writing them with your requests as I will be doing...they seem receptive to suggestion and the competition is thick.

I just bought skyradar and am very impressed after using xm weather since it was invented . However Skyradar is ads-b-nothing to do with the sim. I have both WingX and Foreflight and neither as far as I know support output from the sim. I have thought the same though and since both developers take feedback suggest writing them with your requests as I will be doing...they seem receptive to suggestion and the competition is thick.
Hi Geof, Thanks for the reply. I've been following you over on Beech. Saw your photos. I live downtown A2, I rent from Solo/UM Flyers, and Adrian Soaring club. Wish I had crashed your SkyRadar show and tell breakfast! (I'm just about to make the Skyradar plunge and kill XM on my 396, but still waiting for "I'm not sure what")Back to topic. I know FF and WingX probably don't support output from a sim, but I was thinking there might be a way to fool it. You would need to get the serial out from the PC/sim, to a WiFi signal pretending to be an external GPS as are supported by iPad2. Not impossible, but probably unlikely as you say. I've simmed forever and using the Garmin 396, and more recently an old iPaq running soaring software with Condor glider sim, I've found them to be super valuable (and fun) to learn a hand held navigator. Back off topic. I have the XM 50 buck package which I'm guessing has more ways to look at weather than the SkyRadar/ADS-B package. Like winds aloft at all altitudes, individual storm cells, freezing level etc. Do you find you miss much of that stuff, or are things good? I guess with FF and WingX, you can collect and even screen capture lots of that stuff before you takeoff. Can't do that with a Garmin 396!Best ... Aaron

I have had a nmema running from my fs9 setup and I too have tried to get the stream to my Ipad ,I am going down the bluetooth road ,so far I have not been able to get te usb dongle to link to the ipad as a generic serial so I am looking at a bluetooth serial dongle and fooling the ipad into pairing with it.MarkRainman Simulatorswww.rainman.tv

I have managed to find a lead that will allow you to stream the NMEA data from FSX or FS9 straight into an iPad or iPhone, the first time I had it setup and running I had the "where is my iPhone" server convinced that I was sitting on the end of the runway in Seattle.

Anybody who is interested just send me an email via my web site and I can give you the details.

Cheers

Mark

Rainman Simulators