Sign in to follow this  
CXA001

Back Course w/ JS41

Hi all,Is there a way to prevent the autopilot from being disabled when you move your joystick or yoke?For example, I was landing on Rwy (BC) 25 in CYOW, yesterday and ended up doing a visual as when I moved my yoke to decend, the A/P was disabled and therefore was no longer tracking the localizer.Thanks in advance,

CXA001-1.jpg

VATSIM: P2 | I1

You probably want to re-think what you are trying to do and what is the best way to do it. You can only have one pilot at a time, whether it is you, the co-pilot, or the AP, only one can be flying the plane. When you moved the yoke, you told the AP that you wanted to fly, so it it disconnected. That is what it is supposed to do. Why you wanted to move the yoke and have the AP continue to follow the localiser is a question only you can answer.

When you moved the yoke, you told the AP that you wanted to fly, so it it disconnected. That is what it is supposed to do. Why you wanted to move the yoke and have the AP continue to follow the localiser is a question only you can answer.
When flying a back course, there is of course no glideslope, so normally I manually decend (using my yoke) while the AP flies the course to interecept the runway.

CXA001-1.jpg

Again - only one entity should control the aircraft at a time. That being said, you can leave the AP on and put it in VS mode, which would be more appropriate. If you want to use the yoke, the AP has to fully come off (there's no CWS here in the J-41, like the 73, and even CWS wouldn't do what you're asking).Think about the implication here in terms of human mentality. You see the AP light on, and assume that the AP has control of the plane, but it's only taking control of the LAT functions, leaving you to use the yoke on the VERT? That's a recipe for disaster. What happens when a pilot adjusts the pitch with the trim, but the AP is still adjusting the lateral functions. The plane descends and is being controlled laterally, but the pilot forgets the AP isn't controlling the vert functions. Through the end altitude you go, and if you're distracted, into the trees you may go.You might think that's an overstatement, but it's happened before (though in the more famous case, it was a full AP disco):http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Air_Lines_Flight_401One or the other - on or off.If you want the AP following the LOC, give it vertical authority through the use of VS or IAS, combined with ALT SEL.

Kyle Rodgers

Makes sense, I will give that a try and just disable the AP at DH.Thanks for your help.

CXA001-1.jpg