Sign in to follow this  
GaryGB

Finney Crosshairs in FSX

This post is to make scenery builders aware of how to use the Finney Crosshairs in FSX.A recent post to a (older... but long 'unanswered') thread by a newcomer to AVSIM in the FSX forum, kindly shared what I presume was his (recent) discovery of a solution for an unresolved issue... the (apparent) inability to use Finney Crosshairs Plus (aka "CH+") in FSX.http://forum.avsim.net/topic/59734-finneyground-crosshairs-plus-placement-tool-in-fsx/The original release of Finney Crosshairs Plus user pilot-able scenery object placement "aircraft" allows one to fly or slew with the joystick while placing scenery library objects, or performing various other scenery development functions in FS9.When one is placing scenery objects in FS at run-time... relative to MSL (rather than AGL) and/or when NOT using a utility that computes FS "on-ground" elevation via FSUIPC or SimConnect, the CH+ scenery placement aircraft allows one to set the solid visual model of the crosshairs base directly onto the ground (or water) for measuring elevation without manually calculating altitude difference between ones central aircraft model datum and the FS "ground surface".The CH+ scenery placement aircraft is also useful for gauging scenery distances, object sizes etc., and is a valuable tool for scenery development graciously provided to the FS Community by Gary Mills (aka "GMAN" of the Finney Helicoper / Chopper related scenery object projects.BTW: This excellent FS scenery developer's helper is available at:http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=chplus.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search...Be sure to get Jim Robinson's FSX compatible update as well:http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=ch_pnl.zip&CatID=root&Go=SearchIMHO, the workaround to enable use of CH+ in both FS9 AND FSX should be better known by the FS scenery development community.FYI: To download the "missing" texture folder required to use this CH+ aircraft in FSX, see this thread:http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showpost.php?p=150485&postcount=27Many thanks to Gary "Gman" Mills and Jim Robinson for their ongoing contributions to the FS Community. :( PS: We may soon see an FSX-compatibility update by Gary Mills for the Finney Air Design Group scenery objects and other projects... :wink:Hope this helps ! :smile:GaryGB

I don't see the point of using a "special" aircraft. I use any user aircraft at about 3000ft in conjunction with TCalcX.George

I've used the FSX version of Crosshairs along with SBuilderX when setting up a sloped polygon. Move the "aircraft" to a spot in SBX, right-click to get data from aircraft. I don't know if trying that at 3,000 AGL and using SBX gives you a different elevation reading or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Why would you expect TCalcX to give an incorrect ground altitude? It uses Simconnect. The only reason to have the aircraft at 3000ft is so that only the crosshairs are visible.

I never mentioned TCalcX, George. I'm mentioning using it in SBuilderX and using that program's ability to get an elevation reading from the plane's location.

Sorry, I mustn't have had my glasses on :( I use a custom program to extract ground elevations for blended flattens. That program uses FSUIPC.

I've used the FSX version of Crosshairs along with SBuilderX when setting up a sloped polygon.
Tried installing this but when I start the sim with it as the selected aircraft, there's an immediate crash (with sparks flying, etc) and the sim resets only for the aircraft to crash again...and again...and again...and again...I have a feeling I should be switching to it after starting in another "aircraft".Rich

I use a custom program to extract ground elevations for blended flattens. That program uses FSUIPC.
Yes, I know. I'd get down on my damaged right knee and BEG for a copy of that little tool. Let me know how many pictures I need to take... :(
I have a feeling I should be switching to it after starting in another "aircraft".
That's what I do. Start in another aircraft (Trike?), switch to slew mode and then change to the Crosshairs.Then if I get bored after slewing around, I elevate myself up around 3,000' AGL range and exit slew and see if I can land the Crosshairs somewhere... :(

I can always land in the crosshairs using a flyable aircraft :(