Sign in to follow this  
michal

FS2Night***Night Environment Upgrade***

Guest Eric

Hi, They look great but not sure about these grid repetitive tiles type. Thanks for your effort.BestEric

Guest Arrington

Thanks Eric. :)Give them a try, you might like them. As a professional pilot, I can tell you that one of the striking things about night flying is the symmetry. We have not seen this in FS in the past, and it may be difficult to get used to.Cities in the western United States are far more symmetrical than those East of the Mississippi.

Guest mberg

Finally! From f-111's to commercial at night. Dead onCan I have them now?

...I have to see them on a better monitor (at work now). Decided to delete my previous comments. You will hear from me later ;-)Michael J.

Guest Arrington

Michael,I didn't make it back here in time to see you other comments. :) I hope you still like them.

Guest product

How do these compare to FSW's recent night light enhacement?

>I didn't make it back here in time to see you other comments.>:) I hope you still like them.Actually I am glad there is an edit button - I realized that I can't rely on my laptop at work so my original impressions were really skewed.Obviously we have to see your work Chris when it is finally installed but generally I am impressed. Yours is the first night package that gives this incredible 'sparkle' due to its reliance on multitude of points of lights. All other night packages rely solely on the 'blobs'. When I compare your work with Chris Willis' some obvious observations come to mind. His is better suited for denser concentrations of populations with more commercial activity whereas yours is probably suited better for the suburbs. This is due to lack of any shopping centers in your version which also make them look too uniform. On the other had you clearly have a total mastery of individual streets - your intersections are simply superb. I suspect if you could somehow add (with moderation) some traces of commercial activity many would stop complaining about 'repetitive' tiles.Michael J.

Guest Arrington

Hi Michael,Thank you friend. :) Yours is a very good observation concerning the commercial areas. I actually struggled with this a little bit. Originally, I was to include malls and other similar building, but changed my mind.It seems to me, that with the advent of autogen, MS should have left buildings OUT of all of the default texturing. It is rather odd, in my view, to have both. This would have been far more difficult to do however. What I've taken the opportunity to do, is to leave them out of my night textures. Let's let the autogen do all of the work. :)What I DID do, and is not very visible in my pics, is to include the occasional lighted prking lot. I did this in very limited areas near major roads. The limitation here is that they become repetative very quickly. One of the biggest challenges is to avoid making one tile look like the adjacent one. When the individual above mentioned repetitive, I think he was referring to the grid-like appearance of the Los Angeles Basin. This is one of the few areas that you will find in my night texture set, but it is VERY realistic. This is what LA looks like at night.What no one relizes yet, is that my textures will be representative of the areas that you are flying in. This is very exciting stuff, but I can't convey it in 5 screencaps here at the forum. When you are over LA, you will see what LA generally looks like. When you are over Boston, you will see what Boston generally looks like. This is strange to most of us, because we are so used to the default night textures. I think you are in for a real treat here Michael, and I can't wait to get this upgrade out there for you. :)Thanks for all of the good feedback, and the nice comments.

>When the individual above mentioned repetitive, I think he was>referring to the grid-like appearance of the Los Angeles>Basin. This is one of the few areas that you will find in my>night texture set, but it is VERY realistic. This is what LA>looks like at night.>This is exactly what I was thinking of when looking at your shots - it MUST be LA. (sent you another msg.).Michael J.