Sign in to follow this  
GAJ52

Voice Recognition Problem

Hi,The title of this post is a little over dramatic as I only have a problem using Voice Recognition with just one word "ON". I have used the voice recognition training several times to try and solve this problem, but FS2Crew refuses to recognise when I say "On" to checklist. I have tried it in different accents, slowly, quickly, I did try it once in a drawling Texan type accent and it worked, but only the once !!I know I can use 'Set', 'Checked' or 'Next' to continue with the checklist, but is there any way to train FS2Crew to recognise my "On" command ?I remember reading a similar post some time ago but I can't find it now.Glen

Glen

I had this exact problem with FS2Crew Voice for PMDG's J41 and in my case the solution was to do more voice training with the speech engine. I just kept reading all the text examples and in the end the problem with 'On' went away and was recognised just fine. Since then and now with the FS2Crew Voice for iFly I don't have this problem anymore.

Richard Åsberg

Hi Richard,I was hoping that would not be the answer, as I have spent some time in the Voice Recognition training area. It seems strange you had the same problem with "On" as if there is a technical hitch with this word. I use FS2Crew with the PMDG JS41 and 737 and only have a problem with "On" all other commands are recognised fine ??Sounds like I've got to get back to the training room.Thanks again RichardRegards, Glen

Glen

No worries Glen and I'm sorry I wasn't able to provide you with a more simple solution and I agree I also find it strange why this single and very simple word is so hard to get right in the eyes (or more ears I guess) of the voice recognition engine. Maybe the reason is exactly that...that it's a very short word.Hope you will get it fixed somehow! At least you know now you're not the only one having problem with this word and also it can be overcome.

Richard Åsberg

Hi Richard,I was hoping that would not be the answer, as I have spent some time in the Voice Recognition training area. It seems strange you had the same problem with "On" as if there is a technical hitch with this word. I use FS2Crew with the PMDG JS41 and 737 and only have a problem with "On" all other commands are recognised fine ??Sounds like I've got to get back to the training room.Thanks again RichardRegards, Glen
Glen, I'm not sure where you're from but try changing up your intonation a bit if you have what might be considered a 'heavy' accent.Try saying 'on' with an American pacific north west accent.

Hi BryanI'm from the UK. I've tried all sorts of accents, even a BBC newsreader type, I think as Richard said I will have to spend some more time in the voice training room. This is not a big problem as I can say 'Set' or 'Checked' its just bugging me why I can't get it to recognise "ON" I'll keep training till it works :( Regards, Glen

Glen

Exactly where in the checklists are you when this "On" problem occurs?What is displayed in the green bar when you say "On"?

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, had the in-laws round for dinner so wasn't able to get to my computer.It starts on the first Turn Check :-Cabin Signs ......"On" CParking Brake....."On" CWhen I say ON, 'ARMED' is displayed in the green bar. I tried again with an exaggerated American accent (I'm from the UK) and it did after several attempts display 'ON' All other voice recognition works fine.Glen

Glen

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, had the in-laws round for dinner so wasn't able to get to my computer.It starts on the first Turn Check :-Cabin Signs ......"On" CParking Brake....."On" CWhen I say ON, 'ARMED' is displayed in the green bar. I tried again with an exaggerated American accent (I'm from the UK) and it did after several attempts display 'ON' All other voice recognition works fine.Glen
Hi Glen,"On" is in the grammar, so it should work. Just try saying 'on' using different intonations until you find one that works.Remember you can also say 'next' if you get stuck.What I'd do is load the J41, open the FS2Crew Main Panel... don't start the J41's engines, and just say 'On' over and over again until you see it in the green bar.I suspect this is just an accent issue.Cheers,

BryanThanks for your help.I have just spent the last few minutes doing what you said, loaded the JS41 and repeated "ON" many times, in different ways, and each time the word in the green bar displays the word "Armed". Quick as a flash I thought I know what I'll get my wife to try it - every time she said 'ON' the green bar displayed ARMED.So it appears the voice recognition doesn't like the Southern UK accent, at least saying the word ON.I'll give up and just say 'Next'Glen

Glen

BryanThanks for your help.I have just spent the last few minutes doing what you said, loaded the JS41 and repeated "ON" many times, in different ways, and each time the word in the green bar displays the word "Armed". Quick as a flash I thought I know what I'll get my wife to try it - every time she said 'ON' the green bar displayed ARMED.So it appears the voice recognition doesn't like the Southern UK accent, at least saying the word ON.I'll give up and just say 'Next'Glen
Glen,I'm wondering if it's ambient background noise that's the issue. Your southern UK accent shouldn't be a problem as we have non-native English speakers using the software, and their accents would be thicker than yours.Try again, but turn the volume way down on your computer to remove any background interference.The J41 is a very loud airplane, so that could be an issue.What kind of mic are you using?

BryanI'm using a Logitech USB headset/microphone, normally works fine.I've established the problem has got nothing to do with FS2Crew. I have just dictated a full page of A4 using MS Word Recognition by reading text from a book. Speaking as clearly as I could, the accuracy was extremely good with very few mistakes, except every time I said "On" it wrote ARMED. Strangely if I said ARMED in the microphone it wrote armed - there's a surprise. I corrected the misspelling of "On" using the correct voice commands so hopefully it will finally get the message.After several corrections with the recognition improving slowly in MS Word, I tried it in FS2Crew / JS41 with no external sound and it still said ARMED in the green bar.I WILL train it if it kills me, I won't be beaten by a computer :( Glen

Glen

I have the exact same problem and im from the UK to, Im from Blackburn so have a northern accent, no matter what i do when i say "on" armed is what is displayed. Tried training W7 and it has no problem at all understanding me.

I have the exact same problem and im from the UK to, Im from Blackburn so have a northern accent, no matter what i do when i say "on" armed is what is displayed. Tried training W7 and it has no problem at all understanding me.
Hi Simon,Try PM'ing GAJ52 above.Maybe he has some further insight.But we have a good size Brit user base for this product and I've only had the two reports including yours.Try adjusting your mic sensitivity.'On' doesn't sound all that close to 'Armed', so it's an odd one.

Yeah i find it very strange indeed, i have your product for both the iFly 737 and the JS41 and it does it on both, i'll look into it a little deeper maybe tomorrow and mess with my mic settings and report back.ThanksSimon