Sign in to follow this  
TopGun

AI traffic and parallel runways

Good morning, Is it possible (using AFCAD or otherwise) to force particular AI aircraft to land on a particular runway when parallel runways are available? This would be great if possible (as in the real world where airliners typically land on the runway closest to their parking in most situations). Thanks for any assistance.J.C. (MYNN)

And the answer for the rest of us is...?Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Check your PM. I hope it´s the one you´ve serached for.
Hi, Thanks for the help, but I'm afraid that what I'm really looking for is a way to force a particular aircraft (e.g. an airline) to land on a particular runway when parallel runways available. For example, at KMIA, I would like to force all "American Airline" traffic that park on the north side to utilize either "26R" or "8L" for landing, thereby eliminating the need for extensive taxiing, which is a bit unrealistic. Any further insight or help would be greatly appreciated. ThanksJ.C. (MYNN)

As a point of interest, in the real world does ATC allocate landing runways according to airline?

And the answer for the rest of us is...?Bob
I send him Jim Vile Whicker´s "Basic Crosswind Runway Tutorial". If someone needs it, just ask me and I´ll send it.

As a point of interest, in the real world does ATC allocate landing runways according to airline?
Generally, if circumstances permit, you'll be assigned a runway (or you can ask) that is convenient to your parking position (in my experience anyways) if multiple(e.g. parallel) runway choices are available. There are some exceptions, e.g. where particular runways are designated for landing and the adjacent parallel(s) are designated for takeoff.

Arrival controllers generally know where the airlines park and we will try to be as accomodating as we can. Here at CYYZ we all know roughly where each airline goes, like UAL on the south side, same for Sunwing, FedEx park Northside as do airlines at Terminal 3. Ultimately the most important factor is traffic balancing and achieving the maximum runway utilisation, but when possible we will put traffic where we know it would prefer to go or accomodate a request.

To answer the original question. No, not really.
Yes you can, I do it with all with all my airports. I use FSX now, but did the same thing when I used FS2004. What you need to do in the AFCAD, is close the One runway for landing.So for example Orlando, you want to land on 18L/36R and takeoff on 18R/36L (or vice versa) You would close 18R/36L for landing and close 18L/36R for takeoff.You do it this way, because as mentioned above, takeoffs will always be assigned to the closest open runway, so you need to close it to force the farther runway to be assigned.In the reverse case you could close 18L/36R for landing, while keeping both runways open for take offs. This way if there was aircraft from a terminal on the other side, say freight they could takeoff from 18R/36L while the main terminal planes used 18L/36R. While this would force all landings to always use 18R/36L.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

You don't understand the original question. Allow me to quote an earlier post:

Thanks for the help, but I'm afraid that what I'm really looking for is a way to force a particular aircraft (e.g. an airline) to land on a particular runway when parallel runways available. For example, at KMIA, I would like to force all "American Airline" traffic that park on the north side to utilize either "26R" or "8L" for landing
The answer to that is, no, not really. Note that I did not say, no, period. Because if you have a lot of time on your hands, you could theoretically pull it off. But it has nothing to do with closing certain runway ends for certain operations, nor with the crosswind tutorial.For this to work, you'd have to make a fake airport and use a fake ICAO code for it in your Afcad editor of choice. Then you'd recompile your American Airlines traffic file, after changing the KMIA code to your fake new code, say XXXX. XXXX would sit at the same coordinates as KMIA, but it would only have one runway, 8L/26R (or a departure runway as well). That way, you can send all AAL traffic to that one runway. The real challenge is "merging" KMIA and XXXX together, so you don't get an "overlap". For example, you'd close 8L/26R in the KMIA Afcad. Because FS sees it as two different airports, it will let AI land on the same physical runway at the same time... You'd also remove the AAL parking spots from the KMIA Afcad and add them to the XXXX Afcad, to make absolutely sure the same physical space is not occupied by two aircraft. You do the same with certain taxiways, etc...So as I said, lot of time on your hands, expertise in these matters, it could work, but there's no quick and practical solution.:(

Mike...

You don't understand the original question. Allow me to quote an earlier post:The answer to that is, no, not really. Note that I did not say, no, period. Because if you have a lot of time on your hands, you could theoretically pull it off. But it has nothing to do with closing certain runway ends for certain operations, nor with the crosswind tutorial.For this to work, you'd have to make a fake airport and use a fake ICAO code for it in your Afcad editor of choice. Then you'd recompile your American Airlines traffic file, after changing the KMIA code to your fake new code, say XXXX. XXXX would sit at the same coordinates as KMIA, but it would only have one runway, 8L/26R (or a departure runway as well). That way, you can send all AAL traffic to that one runway. The real challenge is "merging" KMIA and XXXX together, so you don't get an "overlap". For example, you'd close 8L/26R in the KMIA Afcad. Because FS sees it as two different airports, it will let AI land on the same physical runway at the same time... You'd also remove the AAL parking spots from the KMIA Afcad and add them to the XXXX Afcad, to make absolutely sure the same physical space is not occupied by two aircraft. You do the same with certain taxiways, etc...So as I said, lot of time on your hands, expertise in these matters, it could work, but there's no quick and practical solution.:(
Thanks for the insight Mike....hopefully someone develops a way to make this possible (I'd even be willing to pay for this feature :) )Thanks againJ.C. (MYNN)

Well, I think it can be done. I would use ADE rather than AFCAD, but in any case, it would be possible to isolate AAL parking from the main taxiway. Then give them their own routes from and to the runway. It would take some trial and error. Would you want to do this for all airlines? Probably not. Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Bob, the point is, how are you going to have arriving AAL traffic use only 8L/26R? The rest is of less importance. That simply can't be done without resorting to my above suggestions. Unless you close all other runways for landing of course, but then you're going to have a lot of arrival traffic on that one runway...:(

Mike...