The high of 57 is just fine, especially if you still have the voltage on auto.
Thanks Corey, I was not about to start tweaking until I had a a normal base system. I was worried about the temp spread, but now it's time to look at Spirit's thread on the 2600 OC'ing.I was a little afraid I would wear out the mounting threads on the cooler there for a while.Rick S.
What's the ambient temp like there Rick?
72f dazz.

Just try to keep load temps under 75C while overclocking and you will be fine.

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Download: FSXMark11 Benchmark and post results here

I just rolled back to stock clocks and run Prime95. 82ºF here and max core runs at 59ºC so it looks about right Rick

I just rolled back to stock clocks and run Prime95. 82ºF here and max core runs at 59ºC so it looks about right Rick
Thanks for taking the time to do that. I have been worried about the temps since I built this box.Rick S.

Judging by the scratches on my h50, I'm thinking my 2600k is definitely a little concave in. The only scratches are where the corners of the processor meet the h50. Keep in mind my h50 is lapped back from when I lapped my Q9550 as well. Perhaps some time this summer I will get bored enough to actually lap my 2600k and we will see if that evens out the core temps. Point is, it's true for the majority of coolers. If you lap one you need to lap both. It doesn't do a lot of good to lap just the processor or just the heatsink.

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

I don't think Nick is especifically recommending lapping the HSF and/or the CPU in every case, just pointing out how important it is to have it properly seated and make sure the CPU is not throttling.Well, I just doubled checked my temps and the hottest core runs about 7ºC hotter than the coolest one, not 10 like I said before, sorry about that. Maybe 12 is a bit too much and maybe lapping would help there, but more than a hot core, you seem to have 3 cool ones. Lapping the CPU voids the warranty, so it's really up to you to decide if it's worth it to try or not

I don't think Nick is especifically recommending lapping the HSF and/or the CPU in every case, just pointing out how important it is to have it properly seated and make sure the CPU is not throttling.Well, I just doubled checked my temps and the hottest core runs about 7ºC hotter than the coolest one, not 10 like I said before, sorry about that. Maybe 12 is a bit too much and maybe lapping would help there, but more than a hot core, you seem to have 3 cool ones. Lapping the CPU voids the warranty, so it's really up to you to decide if it's worth it to try or not
Should I contact Intel?Rick S.

Dazz, overclocking also void the warranty, Nick is pointing out that the NHD-14 has a concave machined base so laping the cooler is something one can do to reduce the temp (also temp been more the same on all core) and also help with the stuttering, the 980x is also concave so one need to lap it to, don't know about the 2600K?

you seem to have 3 cool ones.
Just to be clear, I certainly wasn't recommending that anybody lap their processor. That's totally a decision between you and... God??? Dazz, I'm with you on ^this. The glass is half full for sure here. I seem to have 3 hot cores! I read something recently about low VID processors tending to run hotter than high VID processors. Perhaps this is the manifestation of that?! I think I have a low VID processor seeing as how I had to set my offset voltage to +0.02 even with LLC set to ultra high. Following this line of thought, perhaps it then makes sense that more of my cores tend to run hotter. Maybe we could even determine that Rick's processor is high VID just by what we know about the thermal behavior across the cores. Anyway, it all goes to show every processor is different.Rick, no reason to worry or even contact Intel. Your processor is perfectly normal. Now you just have a better understanding that no two processors are alike and that's why some people go to great lengths to get a processor from a particular batch. Some of us, myself included, probably love computer hardware as much as FSX and so we'll sit here and discuss the technicalities all day long.

Corey Meeks

Alain, no one will ever know you overclocked your CPU, but once lapped there's no way Intel will take it back. Actually Intel has RMA'd chips that had been overclocked and it was admitted by the owner. I remember someone here in Avsim did.BTW Corey, did you find your new Z68 board to be a better OCer than your old P67 UD5? just curious

While all I have played with is OC and CPU voltage, I'll go ahead and say it's about the same. Same 4.8GHz at 1.37 to 1.38v. However, I am able to OC my memory now! And just like my Gigabyte, it seems the BSOD while internet browsing persists. Had it happen for the first time this morning. I'm going to play with VCCIO and PLL and see if that does anything to fix it.

Corey Meeks

While all I have played with is OC and CPU voltage, I'll go ahead and say it's about the same. However, I am able to OC my memory now! And just like my Gigabyte, it seems the BSOD while internet browsing persists. Had it happen for the first time this morning. I'm going to play with VCCIO and PLL and see if that does anything to fix it.
Did you keep the same Windows install with your new mobo? maybe it's software related, who knows. Do you keep the memory dumps?