Sign in to follow this  
europrodave

Out of Memory? I don't Think So!

HI All.I just got a pop up box on short final into KJFK.Said I was out of "memory" and was going to shut down... and did.:( I copied the details but, am not sure what it means or how to prevent it from happening again.Any and all suggestions would bew greatly appreciated.See the end of this message for details on invoking just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.************** Exception Text **************System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0xC000014B): Exception from HRESULT: 0xC000014B at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo) at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect.SimConnect.UnsubscribeFromSystemEvent(Enum EventID) at rexwxengine2.controls.ucLoadAircraftLocation.closeConnection() at rexwxengine2.controls.ucLoadAircraftLocation.tmrLoc_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e) at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e) at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)************** Loaded Assemblies **************mscorlib Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0 Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5446 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400) CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll----------------------------------------rexwxengine2 Assembly Version: 2.0.0.21703 Win32 Version: 2.0.2010.0514 CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Real%20Environment%20Xtreme%202.0/rexwxengine2.exe----------------------------------------System.Windows.Forms Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0 Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5446 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400) CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll----------------------------------------System Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0 Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5442 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400) CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll----------------------------------------System.Drawing Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0 Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400) CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll----------------------------------------Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect Assembly Version: 10.0.61259.0 Win32 Version: 10.0.61637.0 (FSX-Xpack.20070926-1421) CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect/10.0.61259.0__31bf3856ad364e35/Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect.dll----------------------------------------msvcm80 Assembly Version: 8.0.50727.6195 Win32 Version: 8.00.50727.6195 CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/WinSxS/x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.6195_none_d09154e044272b9a/msvcm80.dll----------------------------------------System.Xml Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0 Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400) CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll----------------------------------------System.Configuration Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0 Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400) CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll----------------------------------------System.Data Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0 Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400) CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll----------------------------------------************** JIT Debugging **************To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for thisapplication or computer (machine.config) must have thejitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.The application must also be compiled with debuggingenabled.For example:<configuration> <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" /></configuration>When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exceptionwill be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computerrather than be handled by this dialog box.

Intel i9 10900k

EVGA RTX 2070

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1 TB

Noctua NH D15S

CORSAIR 750D High Airflow

DavidHave you seen this: http://realenvironmentxtreme.com/forum/index.php?topic=14093.0It does look like your OOM may be due to REX?The OOM does NOT refer to physical RAM but to the Virtual Address Space which is 4GB for a 32-bit program like FSX running in a 64-bit OS. If you run out of VAS oe FSX cannot load into a contiguous space in the VAS - OOM.RegardsPeterH

DavidThe OOM does NOT refer to physical RAM but to the Virtual Address Space which is 4GB for a 32-bit program like FSX running in a 64-bit OS. If you run out of VAS oe FSX cannot load into a contiguous space in the VAS - OOM.RegardsPeterH
Peter S!I too have OOM messages from time to time. I have always failed to understand fully the question of memory and Virtual memory. Your two sentences above make sense to you but not to me (too old and thick maybe -lol). Can you expand a little and suggest what I can do to alleviate this? I use XP on a reasonably modern system Intel i7 CPU 6Gb Corsair TR3 Tri Channel NVidia 280 GTXIf the limitation is because FSX is a 32 bit system, is there any point ( or disadvantage even ) on running it on a 64 bit system -IOW will buying windows 7 64 bit be a waste of time?TIA

Peter S!I too have OOM messages from time to time. I have always failed to understand fully the question of memory and Virtual memory. Your two sentences above make sense to you but not to me (too old and thick maybe -lol). Can you expand a little and suggest what I can do to alleviate this? I use XP on a reasonably modern system Intel i7 CPU 6Gb Corsair TR3 Tri Channel NVidia 280 GTXIf the limitation is because FSX is a 32 bit system, is there any point ( or disadvantage even ) on running it on a 64 bit system -IOW will buying windows 7 64 bit be a waste of time?
Virtual memory is a complex topic for a forum post, but at a very basic level it is a way of using harddisk space to increase the amount of memory available to applications and other processes. Try googling it or find a book about computer architecture or operating systems if you want to know more.On your system, because you are using 32-bit Windows XP you are only using about half of the 6GB physical memory that you have installed - the rest is wasted. Also, unless you have modified the boot.ini file to allow more, FSX can only use up to 2GB of memory. So yes, upgrading to Windows 7 64-bit is definitely a good thing.Like Peter says, OOM messages in FSX occur when the virtual address space is exhausted. This is much less likely to happen on a 64-bit OS, but when it does there is not much that can be done about it other than reducing the demands on system memory by moving some sliders a bit to the left. Doing shorter flights may also help, in case something is allocating memory that is not released again (i.e. a memory leak).

Looking at the error message, it looks like it was REX that crashed and presented that error message,not FSX. It probably happened after FSX crashed with OOM, it looks like REX was trying to close the connection, but wasn't able to since FSX had already shut down.

I would like to add virtual address space is different and has nothing to do with hard drives or ram. 32bit applications can only see 4GB of data, the way a 32bit OS works is it allows 2GB of data space for applications and 2GB of data space for the operating system. Problem is even with a 64bit OS, 32bit applications (such as FS9 and FSX) are still limited with the 4GB of data space unless the application has been flagged Large Address Aware. Flagging it is telling the 32bit application it can use beyond the 4GB data limit.The FSX.exe was patched with this flag in SP2.

Problem is even with a 64bit OS, 32bit applications (such as FS9 and FSX) are still limited with the 4GB of data space unless the application has been flagged Large Address Aware. Flagging it is telling the 32bit application it can use beyond the 4GB data limit.
No, this is incorrect. Under no circumstances can a 32-bit application address memory beyond 4GB.The LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag tells the OS that the application can handle addresses beyond the 2GB boundary. This is why the flag is useful even with a 32-bit OS.

No, this is incorrect. Under no circumstances can a 32-bit application address memory beyond 4GB.The LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag tells the OS that the application can handle addresses beyond the 2GB boundary. This is why the flag is useful even with a 32-bit OS.
Yes, and for those that haven't figured it out the 4GB limit comes from 2 to the power of 32 which equals 4GB.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

FortiesboyIt looks like most posters have answered your questions re VAS.As Phil Taylor stated the usual causes for OOMs in FSX are due to:Running out of the VAS andFSX not having enough contiguous space in the VAS to load into.The VAS in a 64-bit OS running a 32-bit program like FSX SP2 (Large Address Aware) is 4GB (but note that even with WDDM on Windows 7 the graphics card still uses some of the VAS but not as much as it does in a 32bit OS eg XP )The contiguous space is the tricky one and it can be due to fragmentation of the VAS and the amount FSX uses is not defined. In some cases if only 1MB (out of 4GB) of the VAS is fragmented then FSX may return an OOM.This describes it better than I ever could:"Here's a simplistic "worst case" example: assuming you manage to allocate the first byte of every virtual memory page (let's say the page size is 4096 bytes) and the virtual memory address space size is 4GB, you will see only 1MB of physical RAM used but all of the virtual memory used... and you get Out of Memory on the next allocation. In other words, over 99.99% memory is "free" yet you get "Out of Memory". Crazy, right? But that's memory fragmentation for you..." (http://blogs.msdn.co...-and-wow64.aspxRegardsPeterH

Thank you very much chaps for your replies.I am somewhat wiser ( a little :( ) but it seems the only thing I can do about it is to get a 64 bit system? But then i see there is a thread where Windows 7 users are having CTD problems. Same thing? The system I have in all other respects seems to run FSX with sliders well to the right and good FPS, and i don't really want to back those off any further. Quite a game this- tuning FSX to run smoothly and to the end of the flight?If anyone finds a magic simple solution, let us know!Thanks again to all

I'd say upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit. While XP is still good (I mean, it does most things you want, right?), Windows 7 is the future, and in the end MS will stop supporting it all together (surprised they still support it to be honest). However, if you do not want to lose Windows XP, you could alwas try to get your hand on a copy of 64-bit XP.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

If anyone finds a magic simple solution, let us know!
Installing a 64-bit OS is the best (and simplest) solution.You can improve things on 32-bit XP by following the advice given in this thread: http://www.simforums.com/forums/topic29041.html (scroll down to the part that begins with "HOW TO PROPERLY TUNE VIRTUAL ADDRESS SPACE IN WINDOWS (x32) FOR OUT OF MEMORY ERRORS")

Yes, typo...4GB is the limit for 32bit apps. 2GB in 32bit OS. 4GB in 64bi apps with the flag.Agreed 100%. A 64bit OS was the best addon I ever purchased for flight simming....

Guest jahman
2GB in 32bit OS. 4GB in 64bi apps with the flag....
That's not correct: You can run FSX under Win-32 with more than 2 GBy RAM (easily 2.5 GBy).Cheers,- jahman.