Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rafael Cervera

FS9 Multiplayer Observer Mode?

Guest UweR

Could anybody explain in a few words how this is supposed to work?Whenever I hit CTRL SHIFT O I get a message that no observer slots are free. Am I supposed to be able to be joined by another player in MY cockpit, to fly tutorial flights or share a flight? Does it work for anyone this way?

This is a stab in the dark Uwe as I have not had chance to use observer mode.I think the idea is for you to join someone else's session and you should be able to join them in their cockpit (dim memory of a thread about this some time ago).I also think that the person hosting the session has to set Max observers to 1 or more.Rgds

Guest Rafael Cervera

You can get more info at one of the Live Controller sites such as IVAO.

The Host has to set the number of Pilots and Observers. If no observers are set then you will be denied access.W. Sieffert

Guest Eddie Denney

I am under the impression now that the observer mode does not work in FS2004. I tried some testing with different observer settings and get denied access to observer mode every time. I guess it is an issue that really needs a patch.Eddie

Guest sri777

Eddie,we are talking about this on a seperate thread. I was able to connect to the host as an observer (I can see 'o' in braces next to the observer's player name). However, nothing is happening afterwards. If i press Ctrl+Shft+F or Ctrl+Shft+D, basically observer's plane is taking off and flying...i wonder anyone has any success with this...//sri

Guest Eddie Denney

I will have to give it a try again. I know it worked like that in previous versions of Flight Simulator, but my attempts today failed to let me in. If you have any details on what you did to make it work, let us know.

It was quite a while ago Eddie but IIRC I hosted the session and set observers to 2. Loaded the PMDG 737 and sat at the airport. Let my buddy join the session and take off then I used the key sequence to go into observer mode and then iinto his cockpit.If I can join up with one of our VA pilots this week I'll try again and note exactly what I did.I though I had read a post either here or on a ng quite a while ago that someone had managed to get into the cockpit as an instructor to help a new pilot. That was what I was aiming for as a pilot trainer for the VA but as that thread notes the my instruments, plane position and attitude were not the same as the other pilot so it was of no use for training.

Guest sri777

Umm! I called microsoft game support yesterday and the guy told me that it is not possible to jump into other aircraft and observer mode only allows to see the other aircraft from outside. I am not sure whether he is completely knowledgeble (you know how these support guys are often..) at all about this!! Specially knowing some of you have done this before. Also, this review of FS9 (http://www.avsim.com/pages/0803/fs2004_review/part3_scenery/part3_scenery.html) confirms the observer mode is what we think it is (allows to jump into others aircraft) This feature is an invaluable tool for learners like me. Eagerly wait for your report after the weekend...thanks//sri777

I will be testing this Observer mode this evening and will post back with my findings later.